Gibson Brands Forums

Archetype L-1

bigfrancis

Hello all. My first post on the forum. Heres my gibson... an archetype L-1 that I bought used.

It's ladder (H) braced and sounds really cool. The label says 3 of 6. Haven't been able to find out much about it.

Anybody know anything about these?

post-39766-033075900 1327176745_thumb.jpg

post-39766-088793500 1327176776_thumb.jpg

Well. I'll do my best.

1. Not sure when it was made as I'm the second owner. 2008 sounds about right.

2. 24.75 scale length, 1.75 at nut. "The Gibson" inlay on peghead.

3. Mahogany back and sides, I think the fingerboard and bridge are brazilian rosewood. Not sure about the top since its painted black.

4. C profile neck that transitions to a "v" as you near the heel. Pretty chunky. Nice

As I mentioned, it's ladder braced in an "H" pattern. It really has "That" sound which I really like.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for answering my questions. Good job by Gibson correcting the scale length to 24 3/4" - the Robert Johnson L-1s had a funky 25" SL that Ren F told me was a mistake they made due to incorrect information about the original SL Gibson used back in the late 20s. I am sure the top is Red Spruce. When the L-1 was first introduced in 1926 (first production flat tops Gibson made). they employed the "H" bracing pattern. They must have wanted to copy that design for your limited edition. I wish they used the c1926 "pyramid" style bridge too. Very cool guitar. Congrats

Your reply made me wonder... so I got out the measuring tape and the scale is actually 25". Sorry to get your hopes up, but it is a Gibson after all. ha.

I think you're right about the top being adirondack as you can see the wide grain ridges through the thin top finish.

I have been using Pearse medium 13-54 80/20s on the guitar for about a year. They transformed it into a different and much better instrument. I keep wondering if it will explode, but the top and bridge don't seem to be moving, so I am guessing its OK.

I think the fingerboard and bridge are brazilian rosewood.

Can't be Braz, as it's a 2008. Bridge looks like Madi, and so does the fretboard (assuming that dark streak is not an artifact of the photo).

-- Bob R

• 4 months later...

A friend of mine has one - one that I should have bought but passed it on to him. True, there were six L-1 Archetypes and twelve L-00 Archetypes made that year. I had two of the L-00's, but my friend's L-1 Archetype blew them away. I would say it's the best new Gibson I've ever played and I want one! I never knew it was ladder braced, though.

• 3 years later...

Archived