Gibson Brands Forums

Unsual colour - which is confucing the issue.

markbastable

Hello, all.

I have three Epiphone's - an SG, a Les Paul and a PR200.

Research into the serial number of the LP leads me to believe that it was made in the Saein Plant, Korea in January 1998 (Production Number: 1801).

But I've trawled the Wiki and I can't see that any model was ever produced in this colour...

EpiphoneLesPaul.jpg

So the question is: what model do I have here?

Any expertise gratefully received, and let me know if there's any other usesful information I can give.

Thanks,

Mark

Pete B - I think my passage to hell is assured, regardless of my taste in guitars.

Pete R - Yeah, I saw that in my research, and one or two other examples too. But none of those owners mention what model it is.

And, incidentally, much as I love the guitar, the gold controls have to go. I've lived with them for a few years, but seeing the photos on-line convinced me they make an unusual guitar aesthetically untenable. I'm thinking ivory, if I can find a white rhino willing to part with his horn.

-That should be a Standard. Covered p'ups, trapezoid inlays, and pickguard. Although some Standards have the pickguard missing. Does it have the typical "Limited Edition" circle decal on the back of the headstock? If it does all that means is basically a finish or hardware option that isn't in the regular lineup.

L8R,

Matt

-That should be a Standard. Covered p'ups, trapezoid inlays, and pickguard. Although some Standards have the pickguard missing. Does it have the typical "Limited Edition" circle decal on the back of the headstock? If it does all that means is basically a finish or hardware option that isn't in the regular lineup.

L8R,

Matt

Yeah, it has the decal. So it's your garden-variety Standard as seen in the first 'Standard' section here - gotcha.

Thank you - I appreciate it.

MF/GC - that's a US chain? Guitar Centre?

This made it to the UK, somehow. And I'm glad it did.

I just looked at my 1999 Epi catalog. Your guitar is called a "Les Paul Standard Translucent". Here, I scanned the page.

Maybe RTH can add this model to the wiki. Unfortunately it doesn't list the other colors.

The translucents date back to 1995, I think. I have a list of the colors in that catalog. Its one of those details that I keep forgetting to put on the wiki. It will go up soon, hopefully.

Supersonic, do you have the whole catalog?

Yeah, I can scan it. It'll take a while though, I might not get to it 'till late tonight or tomorrow sometime. It's 50 pages, where do guys want me to post 50 pics? lol

I'm in no hurry at the moment. We should start a conference PM to work out the details instead of mucking up this thread. I'm about to leave work, so I'll PM the both of you later tonight. Sound good?

Archived