Gibson Brands Forums

Wading through all the Pauls

Guest ebick

Hello. I'm sure this has probably been discussed here, but I'm new, so.....:)

Lately, I have been thinking about getting a Paul, but there are so many varieties out there. Is there a good guide? How do you best appraise one that you might see on the used market?

Thanks.

Look at this and then just ask if you have any more questions. As for value, I wouldn't use any guide (like the Vintage Guitar Price Guide) because those numbers are generally high. They also don't take factors, like the top, into account. A great top is worth a lot more than a mediocre one. eBay's completed listings gives a good idea of what actual guitars are actually selling for.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Play as many as you can. This is the only way to find the one that's right for YOU

Low budget - Focus on used market or a Studio

Mid budget - Any of the above + a new Traditional, 08 Standard

High budget - All of the above + Custom Shop range

Its subjective and you perfect LP could cost £700 or £4,000, dependent on what tone and feel turns you on.

My number one is a Custom Shop Reissue, that cost me £2,800 (actually £1,500 + my old 08 Standard). I could have picked a second hand one up for £1,900 on ebay, but for me, having it in from new is worth the extra. But for others, buying a guitar that has some history is the only way to go.

If you buy what feels and sounds best to you, you can not go wrong.

All the best

Yup, id agree with the above..

The best and only way is to go and try as many as you can.. one will jump out at you and say BUY ME, BUY ME :)

When I went to buy my first standard I had no idea about what models were available, id previously had a LP Studio and knew nothing about standards.. So I went to the shop, tried like 20 different guitars and was shocked when I didnt like some of the standards.. in the end the shop owner advised that I try the LP Classic 1960 re-issue, I knew straight away that this was my guitar and still have it ten years later...

Plus a day spent trying guitars to walk away with your perfect one is a special day that should be experienced by everyone :)

Thanks for the replies. That link is helpful. I'll be playing some this week and I will take notes and refer back to that information afterwards. Not in any hurry, even though it's hard to stop looking on E-Bay :).

FWIW, I am not a great player, but I don't go cheap. When I am ready, I would not be uncomfortable obtaining $2K worth of guitar.

What makes you want a Les Paul to begin with? Is it the shape, the sound, the vibe? Can you nail it down? Are you a fan of a particular artist that plays a Les Paul? If so, what type does he or she play?

Focus on what got you into the Les Paul to begin with. Find out exactly which model you like. Expand your search from that starting point if price or availability is an issue.

Are you knowledgeable about guitars and only new to Les Pauls? That would be helpful because you'd know how to evaluate a neck, look for repairs, etc. If you can evaluate a guitar, the used market can be your friend, but there is something special about buying a brand new, perfect-for-you Gibson that you can grow old with together.

$2K is a great number. You can buy new models and very high quality used for that money.

Good luck on your search!

What makes you want a Les Paul to begin with? Is it the shape, the sound, the vibe? Can you nail it down? Are you a fan of a particular artist that plays a Les Paul? If so, what type does he or she play?

Focus on what got you into the Les Paul to begin with. Find out exactly which model you like. Expand your search from that starting point if price or availability is an issue.

Are you knowledgeable about guitars and only new to Les Pauls? That would be helpful because you'd know how to evaluate a neck, look for repairs, etc. If you can evaluate a guitar, the used market can be your friend, but there is something special about buying a brand new, perfect-for-you Gibson that you can grow old with together.

$2K is a great number. You can buy new models and very high quality used for that money.

Good luck on your search!

Yes, thats some good advice there.... I had pictures of Slash and Jimmie Page (and Hendrix, but Fenders never had the same appeal as LPs to me) and various Les Pauls on my folders at school and I certainly wanted that darkburst colour which I got and couldnt be more proud to own... owning a guitar that looks and sounds like the ones you grew up dreaming about is just the best...

A few questions you might want to ask yourself:

1. Do I like bling/shine or do I prefer a more stripped down look/natural feel?

With a production-line LP you'll get a lot more choice for your money if you don't mind (or prefer) the latter. The significantly higher costs of certain production models are associated with binding, inlays and, especially, the number of coats of nitro lacquer. None of this means you get any better quality and I've not seen evidence to prove that, for example, better woods/cuts are selected for the cheaper production models compared to the ones with all the bling.

2. What type of pickups do I want?

This is a case of horses for courses in my opinion. If you are more of a hard rock/metal type player 490R/490T or Burstbucker Pros may beter suit you but if you play classic rock or blues then '57 Classics, P90s or Burstbuckers I and II would be a better bet. The bursbuckers have mismatched windings for more 'jangle' and the P90s have mid-range grunt and growl. As far as cost goes there's very little in the difference for Gibson, which is why many of the 'budget' models now also have pups like '57 Classics or BBs.

3. Do I have a bad back or do I like a really fat, unplugged LP tone?

Mahogany LP bodies are either fully solid; weight relieved (with swiss cheese holes drilled); or chambered (with several large chambers drilled out.) A full solid body has a darker, fatter unplugged tone whereas, at the other end of the spectrum, a chambered LP has a punchier, snappier unplugged tone. Either body type sustains well, mostly because of the tun-o-matic bridge + mahogany arrangement rather than the amount of air space. Unplugged the difference is all fine and dandy but very few musicians would be able to tell the when difference 'plugged in.' Nowadays, only certain custom shop LPs are fully solid- they can select a nice light piece for those paying a premium price. The upshot is that a weight relieved or chambered LP could be made with 'unselected' pieces of wood so that the player's back is spared.

4. Do I make my living playing the guitar or am a home player/occasional gigger/do it for my own pleasure type of player?

If you're the former, buy the better finished/hand selected/better quality controlled 'custom shop' models; and if you're the latter, buy a (still very very nice) production model.

Definitely take your time and do your research. The neck feel to me is the most

important quality. Then sound. Followed by color.

There's weight relieved (heavyish) vs. Chambered (light) or completely solid (heavy).

There's various neck sizes: 60's slim, 50's chuncky, or asymetrical a combo of both.

Various pick ups: 57 classics - excellent all around, PAF's a little hotter, P90 singles

Chrome vs. nickle hardware

Various finishes

Used vs. new

The list can go on and on and different price points along the way.

Study the gibson site and google reviews for ones your interested in. You Tube has

plenty of people on it discussing their LP's.

If it gets too overwhelming, go get a Telecaster. [biggrin]

=; Already have a Tele!! Hunting for the right LP..... :)

I've played a bunch of Standards, Classic Customs, Traditional Pro, and finally real Customs (ie. $4k+ Customs). Other than the neck profile (I like 60s slim), the most notable difference in feel to me was the low/wide frets on the Custom versus the taller/narrow frets on everything else. The Customs truly played like butter (fretless wonder??).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the low/wide fretwire on a new Gibson USA guitar? Is there any model that comes with it in the $2k range?

Archived