Gibson Brands Forums

Snakeskin Pickguard on my LP Trad Pro

bubba_leon

So I had an old pickguard lying around, and some leftover rattlesnake skin scraps from a previous project.

So I got the idea to make a pickguard. Not sure how I like on my vintage sunburst, and the lady says it doesn't look good on the goldtop. So what do ya'll think?

snakepg2.jpg

snakepg.jpg

Right On guys. thanks for the input. I actually have a snakeskin strap,but it's more of "ice tea" color and looks great with this guitar.

I have to agree it doesn't quite match, and I definitely agree it would look awesome with an ebony finish.

I made a hat band for my friends black cowboy hat with this skin it it looks kickass. So I can only imagine what it would look like on an ebony LP.

Now I have an excuse to get one!

Looks good. How do you keep from damaging the snakeskin with your pick & fingers?

technique, i remove my scratchplates to show off the finish get the angle of your stroke right and even with a hard strike you wont get close to damaging the scratch plate area. I play my LP reasonably low slung anyway so it makes it even less likely of pick scratches

Looks good. How do you keep from damaging the snakeskin with your pick & fingers?

Well only time will tell, I coated the skin with a special conditioner used for boots, belts etc.

But I haven't put it to the test. I have to say snakeskin is pretty tough stuff. My lady gave me a cobra skin wallet for my birthday almost 3 years ago, and I tell you it's the toughest wallet I've ever owned.

I love it!! There are a bunch of "custom" pickguards out there but very few are as unique as yours. I think what might be throwing off your eye are the zebra pups and not the burst. I also wanted a unique pickguard for my LP Elegant. I'm a scrimshander by profession so what better material than genuine, pre-ban Elephant ivory. I also have an ivory truss rod cover. I plan to scrimshaw them.... someday. I need to get some white pup rings.

Pickguard-1.jpg

I think what might be throwing off your eye are the zebra pups and not the burst.

Pickguard-1.jpg

you know.....I think he's right. DOnt get me wrong I have zebra's on my LP but mine is an ebony finish with no pick guard so something needs to pop. but the zebra's and the snakeskin may be at odds with one another

Rock an Reel - that guard is real nice! brings out your top. I agree with you about the pup rings gotta make them match the guard and have that blended pretty white look but would it then emphasize the difference with regards to the binding? especially where the neck pup ring meets the neck binding

Archived