Gibson Brands Forums

Have you ever purchased a brand new Gibson?

ZuWa

Another forum topic prompted me to think about this. How many of us have entered a music store or purchased online a brand spanking new Gibson?

There are so many used guitars available and so many different models come and go I wonder how many of us have built solid collections or bought utility instruments solely from the used marketplace.

Certainly the Internet has made researching, finding, buying, and selling used guitars much easier than it once was, but Gibson also continues to update updating their product line to try to grab interest in what they are building today.

My first Les Paul was purchased brand new - an '82 Goldtop Deluxe with a maple neck and ebony (or extremely dark rosewood) board.

My first Gibson was a '76 SG Standard, used, in 1977. I had to make payments on it - $20 a week, before I could take it home. I took it home on the bus in a cardboard box 'cause I couldn't afford a case.

I got 3, all gone now. The first was a Les Paul XR2, an SG Standard, and a Les Paul Classic, all brand new guitars. Of the three I KICK myself for selling the SG...PERFECT guitar in every respect. Shoulda hung onto that one...ah well, there's plenty more guitars out there...

Bought my first two used...

Bought a 1978 The Paul for $200 in 1980

Bought a 1985 LP Custom for $500 in 1989

Bought my next two new...

2005 LP Faded Std. $975

2007 LP Classic $1800

Bought the next one used...

1997 CL10 acoustic $500

Bought my most recent one new...

2010 Faded SG Special $695

Looks like I'm running 50/50 - but have saved $ overall by buying used.

I own one Les Paul, and it was new when I bought it.

I own other used instruments though, including at least 2 "store demo" instruments... the ones out for the general public to play. It typically is the sound and playability that sells me an instrument.

Bought my first two used...

Bought a 1978 The Paul for $200 in 1980

Bought a 1985 LP Custom for $500 in 1989

Bought my next two new...

2005 LP Faded Std. $975

2007 LP Classic $1800

Bought the next one used...

1997 CL10 acoustic $500

Bought my most recent one new...

2010 Faded SG Special $695

Looks like I'm running 50/50 - but have saved $ overall by buying used.

Cool. I agree with your method. You can take the money you save by buying used and put that towards a new instrument! Best of both worlds - you build your collection cost-effectively while keeping the folks making the new ones in business.

i've bought, sold and traded guitars for 20 years now. only my first guitar was purchased new and it was NOT a gibson. the internet has indeed made the used market a lot easier, so much so, that all my guitars in/out have been shipped for the past ten years. there have been no incidents in any of my internet deals: every ad has been 100% accurate, i maintain a 100% Seller Rating on eBay and have had successful dealings with forum members.

the closest i've gotten to buying a brand new one was when i saw the new generation Gothic II EMG. i knew i had to have it and the i *will* have it so i patiently waited for the price of a mint one to drop to 65% of the actual street price--i waited for three whole years. of course, i sold it at a (modest) profit a year later.

Gibson's well-documented quality issues, high prices, questionable business practices and now the SECOND RAID have steered me to not purchasing new.

Both of mine were bought new but online for very good prices:

SG Special Faded- £425 about 5 years ago

LP Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker- approx. £615 last Summer

I take the gamble buying online knowing that I have a return option if I don't like the guitar. As for value-for-money, I'd easily get my money back for my SG now if I were to sell it and the same will no doubt apply to my LP in about 5 years time too. To me, the only difference in buying new vs. used in Gibsons is that you can get your money back straight away with used and after a few years with new. So, I prefer to be the one playing in a new guitar that I decided to keep. I could always make the decision down the line to sell them on if I wanted to. OK, I might have lost a bit in 'interest' but I'll have played the guitar 'rent free' for 5 years.

Not planning on selling either my SG or my LP, BTW!

Alan

Archived