Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod tool and shrowd/cover

Rabs

I have three Les Pauls all of which I bought from proper dealers and have had a couple more in the past that I sold, and not once ever have I got one with a truss rod tool or as ive seen on pictures of other peoples guitars the shrowd/cover in the hardcase (maybe that only comes with customs?)..

In fact the only time I ever got a truss rod tool was with my latest Gibson a Firebird 2011 (and I was really shocked to see it in there).

Has anyone else found this? is someone stealing all of the truss rod tools that come in to Europe to corner the market??? Should I have complained to the guitar shop?

(not that in all the years ive been playing Gibsons ive ever used one or fealt the need to use one, its something ive always just wondered)

My 2007 Melody Maker came with the truss rod tool. My 2009 LP Studio, 2010 LP Standard, and 2011 SG Special did not. As long as I have 1 tool that fits, I suppose I'm good! :D I guess it is random, as in they ship 'em if they got 'em. :blink:

Weird... I went and had a look at the specs pages of a few guitars on the site and it doesnt mention it so I guess your right, its just if they happen to have some... BUT they all mention adjustment literature which I have never received either.. All I usually get is the QC certificate..

What about the shrowd/cover thingy that ive often seen in other peoples pictures.. Anyone get one of those?

Weird... I went and had a look at the specs pages of a few guitars on the site and it doesnt mention it so I guess your right, its just if they happen to have some... BUT they all mention adjustment literature which I have never received either.. All I usually get is the QC certificate..

What about the shrowd/cover thingy that ive often seen in other peoples pictures.. Anyone get one of those?

AFAIK They where a feature of the Tan cases with pink inserts.

You can still buy them seperately from this guy

http://www.ebay.com/sch/the.cover.girl/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

$(KGrHqF,!g8E1fMgqV5zBNkw+rf0Tw~~_12.JPG

AFAIK They where a feature of the Tan cases with pink inserts.

You can still buy them seperately from this guy

http://www.ebay.com/sch/the.cover.girl/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

$(KGrHqF,!g8E1fMgqV5zBNkw+rf0Tw~~_12.JPG

Thanks for that.. I may think of getting one now...

My Classic came with the tan case and pink fluffyness lining.. but no shrowd thingy.. (not that its really an issue.. ive just always wondered :) )

My 2008 LP came with a shroud in a black case.

I have a 2008 LP too, black case white fluffyness.. no shrowd again... maybe its like the truss rod situation where they just put it on if they have some around?... kinda odd though.

All mine were purchased new on line, these boxes were never opened at the store and they all had the tools paperwork and other goodies. One huge problem with store is there are staff there and many times guitars are sold with the wrong cases, sometimes without cases and those little goodies are sometimes lifted by the staff.

I don't know if they are lifted by the staff, or just seperated from the case when the guitars are put on display. All of my guitars that were bought new in the box had the truss rod tool and all other case candy. I always check on guitars that I bought from display or that didn't come with case - if something is missing it can usually be located in the store somewhere.

I don't know if they are lifted by the staff, or just seperated from the case when the guitars are put on display. All of my guitars that were bought new in the box had the truss rod tool and all other case candy. I always check on guitars that I bought from display or that didn't come with case - if something is missing it can usually be located in the store somewhere.

So do you have the "adjustment litrature"? If so does it mention anything in there about your guitar coming with a truss rod tool? (maybe thats why they remove it so people dont ask about it?).. Odd though, how many truss rod tools does one need? I cant see them selling them for that much that it would be worth the risk and bother?

none of my Gibsons came with the tool, I purchased various sized TR tools separately. Only my LP came with the owners handbook but no shroud. White insides black case

my 2001 SG came in a shroud case black insides but those cases IMO are awful. the handle was rubber tube wrapped in fake leather and broke within six months. the shroud kept getting snagged on the tuners where the string ends poked out of them and in general the shroud as kool as it seems gets in the way.

The latter gibson LP cases (white interior) is much much better. However these cases are merely basic protection for your guitar more like storage cases. Not very strong at all and living in London in the UK walking down Brixton high street or public underground with a guitar case with GIBSON on the side is like tattooing 'Mug me I have a Gibson' on your face.

I got an SKB case and toured europe with it in comfort that my guitar was safer than the stock case and ALOT cheaper than buying a new gibson branded case

Truss rod tool only came with customs or signature models etc? I dunno. Either theory could be right but agreed my case was not originally intended for me guitar. I got the first case that came to hand

In the past couple of years (2009 or 2010) Gibson stopped providing truss rod tools with their guitars. I have 24 Gibsons (custom shop and USA) the 2009 and earlier models all came with a truss rod tool. In 2010 I purchased a couple of new Les Pauls from a local retailer, neither had a truss rod tool. The manger stated Gibson no longer provided them.

My new Custom (2011) had one, but again I purchase on line so the shops cant open the boxes and steal or borrow things from the cases.

i think your right an thats the issue. Perhaps its also a stock issue with them 'if they have them then they pack them' but if I was a guitar retailer and had my workshop outback it would be good for business to inform that Gibson dont put them in the cases anymore 'but i can certainly book your guitar in for a set up'

Do official Gibson people comment on these forums? It would be good to hear the official Gibson line on this as if its meant to come with a truss rod tool and adjustment litrature and doesnt I would demand it from the shop I buy from. (and kinda goes with my theory that they wouldnt put adjustment litrature in without the tool as that would be silly)..

Look up the specific model on Giby website and it states whats included in the case, although I would not base the entire conversation on the giby website since its only as accurate as the webmaster. So far I have found and reported a few errors to Gibson.

I did that... none of them mention a tool, just the adjustment literature.. and on the guitar I did get the tool with (Firebird 2011) it doesnt say it comes with one.....???????

• 1 year later...

I bought a VERY expensive Peter Frampton signature recently. No tools or instructions in the case, just two straplocks (?), cheap- looking 'authenticity' certificate and Gibson leaflet. The brown case itself, although made in Canada, had no air of quality at all: no apron, a poorly fitting lid and uneven crudely stuck down external seams. I complained to the UK dealer I bought it from, Guitar Village, and they just said it was the case that came with it. Piss poor quality all round. My Dad had a phrase for it: "Spoiling the ship for ha'porth of tar."

My 2011 50th Anniversary SG Standard 24 came with the truss rod tool, but my 2012 LP Traditional did not. Love the tool.....great for everything on the guitar from tightening strap locks to removing cover plates etc. It should come with every Gibson guitar IMHO.

Archived