Gibson Brands Forums

Red Snapper Blues

Scotto

Hey all.

I live in Destin Florida. I have been fishing and diving the gulf coast here since 1978. In recent years the Fisheries Management Council has continued to find ways to shorten the season and bag limit for red snapper. I can tell you first hand that there have never been so many and so large a population as we have here (going back to '78). In 2011 we were only allowed to fish for red snapper for 48 days. Regulations like this are really impacting our charter boats and their families, and everyone who enjoys fishing and eating red snapper.

I wrote a song about what is going on here, called Red Snapper Blues. It is a simple song, played in 3/4 time. I am offering the song up for all musicians on the gulf coast (or anywhere for that matter) to perform as they wish.

The sound quality on the you tube video is not very good - I recorded directly from my stock IPad2. I am playing my Montana Gold J-200 which is by far my favorite guitar, and the one that I hope to keep and pass on to my sons one day.

Thank you and enjoy!

Scott / Caribbean Camouflage

Nice song Scott...and noble lament!

Just as you are affected in your ocupation and local area by 'governmental and beaurocratic' oversight and regulation....so are we all...in this country!

I know of no legal and bloodless solutions to it except 'sing about it' and vote the bums out [thumbup]

Cheers!

Scott,

For over 50 years I have fished the Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay. We have

endured stringent regulations on most of our popular species like Flounder and

Red Drum (Redfish). For 5 years we had a complete moratorium on Striped Bass.

Now we have one of the healthiest Striper fisheries in the country. I didn't

like the regs either but I fished, caught and ate other species. In every

single case the regulated species rebounded dramatically.Snapper is delicious

and expensive, that's why it's in trouble and over fished. I appreciate that charter boats

can't catch all the Red Snapper they would like but without fishing regulations you can bet

that fishermen wouldn't regulate themselves. Soon the Snapper would be so over fished

that the season would have to be closed indefinitely. No one wants that.

In 2011 regulations allowed Florida to harvest 3.66 million pounds of Red Snapper

and it's due to increase in 2012. That's a bunch of Snapper, I don't care who you are!

If you fish for sport, catch Snapper when you can and catch something

else when the season closes. Florida has a enviable variety of game fish. If

you fish for money you have a vested interest maintaining the Snapper

fishery.----------------------------------¿<*)}}}><

Scott,

For over 50 years I have fished the Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay. We have

endured stringent regulations on most of our popular species like Flounder and

Red Drum (Redfish). For 5 years we had a complete moratorium on Striped Bass.

Now we have one of the healthiest Striper fisheries in the country. I didn't

like the regs either but I fished, caught and ate other species. In every

single case the regulated species rebounded dramatically.If you fish for sport, catch Snapper when you can and catch something

else when the season closes. Florida has a enviable variety of game fish. If

you fish for money you have a vested interest maintaining the Snapper

fishery.----------------------------------¿<*)}}}><

This is a pretty good summary. I hesitated to jump in on this one because of the political implications.

More than 35 years ago, when I was a graduate student, I worked for the National Marine Fisheries Service developing the Atlantic groundfish (cod, haddock, pollock, etc) management plan. We were horribly unpopular with the industry, but the simple fact was that the primary groundfish resources, in the absence of management, had been driven to the edge of extinction by an increasingly efficient fishing fleet.

It was either manage the fishery, with difficult short-term economic implications, or let it die of its own "success". Decisions of this type are never popular, and are sometimes made without full understanding of the biology of the affected species. My job as a government economist was to try to assign economic values to the alternative approaches over long periods of time. We had pretty rudimentary analytical tools in those days of fairly primitive computers. It was not easy, and people were invariably hurt no matter what course of action was taken.

To bring this back to music, much of the great topical music in this country comes out individuals' hard times, whether it's the civil rights movement, labor organization, the anti-war movement of the 60's, or songs such as this reflecting the plight of those whose lives are altered in other ways by the actions of the government.

It's a great tradition, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, and this is a really good example of topical music at its best.

Sorry for the lecture. I saw the PBS special on Phil Ochs last night, and it brought the whole subject of writing songs about what's going on in the world back to the top of my consciousness.

I'll step off my soapbox and go back into my corner now.....

This is a pretty good summary. I hesitated to jump in on this one because of the political implications.

More than 35 years ago, when I was a graduate student, I worked for the National Marine Fisheries Service developing the Atlantic groundfish (cod, haddock, pollock, etc) management plan. We were horribly unpopular with the industry, but the simple fact was that the primary groundfish resources, in the absence of management, had been driven to the edge of extinction by an increasingly efficient fishing fleet.

It was either manage the fishery, with difficult short-term economic implications, or let it die of its own "success". Decisions of this type are never popular, and are sometimes made without full understanding of the biology of the affected species. My job as a government economist was to try to assign economic values to the alternative approaches over long periods of time. We had pretty rudimentary analytical tools in those days of fairly primitive computers. It was not easy, and people were invariably hurt no matter what course of action was taken.

To bring this back to music, much of the great topical music in this country comes out individuals' hard times, whether it's the civil rights movement, labor organization, the anti-war movement of the 60's, or songs such as this reflecting the plight of those whose lives are altered in other ways by the actions of the government.

It's a great tradition, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, and this is a really good example of topical music at its best.

Sorry for the lecture. I saw the PBS special on Phil Ochs last night, and it brought the whole subject of writing songs about what's going on in the world back to the top of my consciousness.

stay on the soapbox !

dont start me on fishermen,

no different on this side of the pond

Well spoken and written j45nick! I appreciate your educational expertise. You are a true 'renaissance man' with many abilities and career endeavours.... of which I have read about on these pages.

Your statement about "lives are altered in other ways by the actions of the government" rings true with me! It rings of my 'conservative bent'. Since we have 'bumped heads' in the past....Please tell me how we difffer....

Well spoken and written j45nick! I appreciate your educational expertise. You are a true 'renaissance man' with many abilities and career endeavours.... of which I have read about on these pages.

Your statement about "lives are altered in other ways by the actions of the government" rings true with me! It rings of my 'conservative bent'. Since we have 'bumped heads' in the past....Please tell me how we difffer....

Rod, we're probably more alike than either us would care to admit......

Archived