Gibson Brands Forums

standard strings for SS-2F

Ecstazy

Hi there,

Just a quick question. Im planning to get an SS-2F custom but since I play Jazz, I'd prefer using strings with heavier gauge(perhaps 0.12 or 0.13) to get a warmer / creamier tone. I came across this vid on youtube and it mentioned we can use standard single ball head strings. Did Ned mean all kinds of single ball head strings? If true then perhaps I can even use flat wound strings of any brands? Can anyone kindly advise me, many thanks.

Youtube clip:

Cheers,

Claude

I came across this vid on youtube and it mentioned we can use standard single ball head strings. Did Ned mean all kinds of single ball head strings? If true then perhaps I can even use flat wound strings of any brands?

Hi Claude,

yes. I'm not sure up to which maximum gauge the headpiece works, but you shouldn't have a problem there. Stop the video you have linked at 0:16. There you see the headpiece, and on the right (i.e. upper) end there's a row of six grub screws. You just guide the regular strings through the whole headpiece (they come out on the upper end), and clamp them with those grub screws. Too light strings might be a problem on the high E string (with the screw not being tight enough), but heavy gauges should work well.

Bernd

Archived