Gibson Brands Forums

Guitarist/Singer or Singer/Guitarist

BluesKing777

Guitarist/Singer or Singer/Guitarist?????

Just thought a different poll was due!

I am not sure who said it, but playing guitar and singing at the same time is very self contained and a certain 'magic' or 'mojo' happens even with simple talents.

So vocals are supposed to help your guitar playing, but guitar playing (or any musical instrument) is supposed to help your vocals! Still can be hard to get both going at once!

So what do you consider your strong points?

BluesKing777.

Wow. I don't consider myself a guitarist nor a singer......not when I think about those that I think of as one or the other, or both. I've always thought of myself as a writer that knows a little guitar and can sing just enough to get by within a small circle of friends. So add "writer" to the poll and I'll vote for that!

EDIT: Thanks! Now yer talkin'!!

Wow. I don't consider myself a guitarist nor a singer......not when I think about those that I think of as one or the other, or both. I've always thought of myself as a writer that knows a little guitar and can sing just enough to get by within a small circle of friends. So add "writer" to the poll and I'll vote for that!

Ha!

You don't work for my boss by any chance, Buc?

He always likes to add a few bits after I thought I had finished and packed up to go!

So no problem I shall try and add 'writer' or probably 'songwriter' and 'lyricist' or combination or together.

BluesKing777.

P.S. I think I managed to add it!

I'm neither one without the other, so I'm with Buc on this one...[thumbup]

Even without the writing part, it seems like what I've always done was driven by the need for the particular song I was working on. Could never say I played or sang well, but because, as you point out, magic can happen regardless of talent level.

So those two things have some kind of parity, but I don't think I dare split this baby. Challenging question, really..

Basically I'm a street busker – I used to make the pavements of Paris slippery. . .

Then turned into a fanboy after landing here. . . . .

Best regards ~

The Acoustic Monk

Em7, you're pretty high-class for a street busker. And I've seen some pretty good street buskers!

Archived