Gibson Brands Forums

Great news! I'm now a guitar teacher.

What's the point your trying to establish? Just saying, you don't have to always be the best at something. I learn as I go and learn by doing and I play from experience and experience over time builds Skills

Nah! I wish you well, I was just kidding with you, don't get mad at me I was feeling in playful mood. ;)

I thought about teaching for some extra cash but people with degrees in music charge $15 an hour so that means I'd have to charge $10, after transportation et cetera I'd be making like 5 bucks for the lesson, not worth it.

I don't know where you live, but around central Ohio those with music degrees charge $25 for a half hour lesson. There are a few that will do in home lessons, but most of them give the lessons in a studio or in their home.

I don't know where you live, but around central Ohio those with music degrees charge $25 for a half hour lesson. There are a few that will do in home lessons, but most of them give the lessons in a studio or in their home.

I'm in LA, and from what I've seen browsing around Craigslist the average price is about $20 an hour. Since I don't have a degree I'd have to charge considerably lower for anyone to have any interest.. I'd be profiting like $5 a lesson, waste of time.

That's great! Teaching can be a lot of fun and also frustrating at times. But it's always worth it. I taught both piano and guitar in the past. Nowadays I only teach my son.

BTW, when I taught I was still taking lessons myself. But I just stayed one lesson ahead of my students! Sorry, it's on old joke but still a good one. [biggrin]

This is probably the worst thread derail I've ever seen in my time on these boards.

TAKE YOUR MISSISSIPPI POLITICS ELSEWHERE.

The OP is trying to drum up encouragement for a teaching endeavor, give him a little support.

GEEZ.....

PS: And before you try to turn on me, my mother was born and raised in Mississippi (Durant/Greenwood), and I've have spent more time in Mississippi and Alabama than most of the people that say they "live" there!

Congratulations Jake, it is sure a rewarding and interesting job! [thumbup]

I would recommend firstly joining the 'RGT', who are a world wide guitar teachers directory. They advertise you all over (the world) and many of my private pupils have found me there...

http://www.rgt.org/

Also I am assuming by your post you don't read music? If you could start brushing up in that area you wouldn't have to 'know' music people bring in, you would be able to just sight read through it. It is an invaluable skill and great for basically being free.

Good luck

Matt

Congratulations man. I actually teach guitar for a living and it's one of the most satisfying things. I used to "work" for a living, then I dropped it and started living from my recording studio and playing gigs, but it was tiresome and demanded too much of me, when I started teaching I thought it would be a nice extra $$$ and that was it, but as time passed I started taking more pupils and more and more and right now 80% of my income comes from teaching, I teach from 10am to 8pm mon-thu... I have free fridays :)

I used to teach guitar a bit myself, among other things.

The real secret, I think, is to know what it is you are teaching and give the student a set of goals to reach. For example, I made no pretense of teaching rock or classical, but just basic "folk guitar" from beginning simple accompaniment into basic bluegrass and blues, with fingerpicking in the mix.

I'd start asking what the student's goals were and where he/she was in skills and understanding, then if it worked within what I knew, I'd get them going toward their goal. Yes, sometimes that would change.

I'd not care to teach pre-teens regardless of talent. I'd not care to take a student willing to make less than a year's commitment.

The great thing about guitar is that it is so incredibly versatile; the difficult thing about guitar in terms of teaching the instrument is that one needs to be honest enough with the student, and the student with the teacher, so that goals are set by appropriate curriculum and then met by the student.

I wish I had the abilities Matt has; but I'll wager a student has far more options with him than I might ever be able to offer. Those are lucky students.

m

Guest farnsbarns

I'm currently teaching a friend, it's much harder than I thought. Even though he's middle aged he often doesn't listen and continues playing something wrong while I'm trying to get him to look at me and listen/watch. It doesn't really matter because he doesn't pay me and there's no promise of any particular result. I set him exercises such as practicing major scales and counting 1st 2nd 3rd etc and he ever practices them.

I expect if I had a younger person who was paying, they'd listen and practice exercises more. I enjoy our lessons and he has a good ear. He learns very fast when it's something I can get through in one lesson but I really want to move him on from pentatonic scales and unless he starts to learn the notes of major and minor scales I can't move him forward. He's in it for fun and we certainly have plenty of that so it's all good.

I taught for over 12 yrs, privately and in schools.

Good luck. You get better at it as you go along.

Most people are NOT interested in music theory, they just want to know how to operate the guitar.

You have to show many different people the same song, and you have to tell 'em the chords right even if you don't like the tune. I taught songs like 'Teen Spirit', 'Sweet Child o'mine' and 'Enter Sandman' so much that I really don't ever want to hear those again. It is great for developing your own ear training though.

So you have to carefully guard your own love of music and keep that separate and in a special place, so to speak.

And you will come across this choice; you can see that a certain pupil is never going to get very far at all, so do you keep taking his money or tell him the brutal truth?

I am now 57 and I burnt myself out on it; these days the only person I wish to help musically is myself.

Best wishes and best of luck. You can make a living but it's quite seasonal.

TG...

RE: Pre-teens... It's my observation from having had something to do with them in educational settings, they don't as a group handle concentration on a single concept very well. Some may have 10 times the natural talent I have, but I'm not sure that buys enough to have a general rule of teaching them.

A curriculum for adults isn't the same as for children for the above reason. Also you need to consider the different learning angles for children: Are they visual, tactile, verbal? Do they understand how one might transpose? Will their hopes and expectations be the same as their parents? Do they already have a learning difficulty such as dyslexia? How will they handle the pain of even a well set up guitar?

More than that, children don't get my jokes which tend to be highly oriented toward puns - often multilingual - and usually tied to the curriculum.

-- The year's commitment regardless of age includes some of the same caveats as above.

I don't think three lessons and a "book" will work if most people want to learn something about guitar playing. A teacher should have a basic curriculum that would include both left and right hand development regardless of style sought by the student, as well as some very basic theory sufficient at minimum to transpose a folk song. Functionally a one class per week schedule should take a beginner from "I think I can make this chord" to playing with a degree of facility and muscle memory.

What and how I taught guitar is really really basic campfire stuff up to as much as one tended to hear among well-known folkies, but in about a year an average person who wants to learn and practices an average of 30 minutes a day, five days a week, should be able to figure out and play a lotta different stuff including classic rock, blues or country rhythm.

For what it's worth, I'm self-taught - but before I became self-taught I sat at age 17 to figure what I wanted to learn and how I might go about it, step by step. I researched a bit and discovered the Folksinger's Guitar Guide would be a likely framework to start with. I already knew about chords and stuff, so it wasn't that big a deal.

OTOH, I know that it also likely brought some bad habits. Of course, in guitar playing my bad habit may be your better way to do something - e.g., using a thumb on a bass string/strings. That brings again the question of curriculum and I wasn't making any attempt to teach classical guitar or lead rock/jazz/country. OTOH, I figured after a year or so, depending on practice time, someone I'd gotten to a basic folks guitar facility should be able to go and do whatever on his/her musical journey.

m

Archived