Gibson Brands Forums

SJ250 Vs J250

TRPZ

No difference. Gibson variably uses either SJ or J as the prefix to Super Jumbo models.

The J-200 was first given the SJ prefix in 1939, but in the mid fifties, Gibson simplified the prefix and began naming them J-200. Even today, SJ-200 is sometimes used in placed of J-200 and vice versa, sometimes even in the same piece of Gibson marketing material (though SJ is mostly reserved for reissues of specific early-year models). The J-250 (or SJ-250) is the Monarch, an ultra blinged out Super Jumbo.

See Paul Fox's post about the difference between Gibson body sizes. Jumbos (like the Advanced Jumbo, J-45/50, etc.) are also sometimes called round shouldered dreadnaughts.

Red 333

No difference. ...

+1 (Although I would have said that the only difference is the letter "S".)

As for shapes, just remember that the J-200, J-150, and J-100 are all the same size and shape. The J-185 is similarly shaped, but smaller. The J-190 and J-180 are the same size and shape as the J-185, except that the J-180 is thinner. The J-165 is also similar, but even smaller. The J-160E is completely different, but is similar to the J-45 and J-50, which are the same. Putting an "S" or "C" in front of the "J" adds no info if you have the number, but does otherwise. (Although "SJ" can also mean a guitar that is the same size and shape as a J-45.)

How could this be any clearer? :) Or, as we like to say around here, that's Gibson for ya!

I'm just glad the OP didn't ask something hard, like what's the difference between a J-250 and a J-300!

-- Bob R

Thanks for all the answers.

Is there any difference between the J200 and J250 as regards the sound and playability?

It seems the J250 has more inlays but has the same wood construction.

The J250 costs around $20,000, the J200 about $10,000. What is the reason for such a big price difference.

Thanks for all the answers.

Is there any difference between the J200 and J250 as regards the sound and playability?

It seems the J250 has more inlays but has the same wood construction.

The J250 costs around $20,000, the J200 about $10,000. What is the reason for such a big price difference.

The bling, the monarch is a pimped-out version which has many many more manhours involved in creating that level of detail in the guitar with regard to the inlays, the materials used for the inlays and the intricacy of the work etc etc... so essentially they're the same guitar, same materials etc... except one has an incredible amount of appointments by comparison to the other.

At the beginning the Monarch had Brazilian.. Not to mention all the Jewels.. Im not sure if they have the Jewels now.. and they dont have Brazilian.. but the Price remained the same.. I believe a $25000.00 cdn list..

The street price for the J250 is US$20,000, the J200 is $10,000.

Any thoughts on the value of the J250 over the J200?

It would seem that playing is the same.

From what I read the J250 has a serial number and only one is manufactured each month. Does this affect the resale price? Or is that only as a result of a famous guitarist using the actual guitar for a performance or recording.

The street price for the J250 is US$20,000, the J200 is $10,000.

Any thoughts on the value of the J250 over the J200?

It would seem that playing is the same.

From what I read the J250 has a serial number and only one is manufactured each month. Does this affect the resale price? Or is that only as a result of a famous guitarist using the actual guitar for a performance or recording.

perhaps i am missing something... you said US $20k and US $10k? i hope you meant another country and not US.

I was just using Amazon to check prices. Where do you recommend I buy?

I normally like to play before buying, I find the best feel is not always the most expensive.

What is the difference if I get an SJ300?

How much is a SJ300?

I know the Monarch was expensive when it was first introduced... Diamonds, Jewels.. Brazilian.. heres a head stock front and rear of No.1 .. I know this one was 20.000 back in the day.. a friend of mine sold this one..

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0483.jpg

To Order a new one today.. with out the frills is 25.000 up here.. Im pretty sure the new ones dont have the diamonds, or Brazilian...

So complicated, how do I make a decision?

Is Gibson the best value for money, some say it is overpriced.

Some say the feel from guitar to guitar of the same model is quite different. Is that true?

I just want a nice guitar, impressive to friends, but I will keep it forever, leave it in my will to someone who will appreciate it.

I need a classical guitar as well. My existing one is not so good. I have a silent guitar for practice but it is limited, even for practice. Not sure if Gibson do a good job on classical guitars.

Gibson has a great brand name. I have an Ibanez and a Martin that are getting a little old now. Like me. I compose on piano, but play guitar, and a few other instruments, so I want to find a final steel string to be my friend. Plus one classical guitar as well. My flute, sax, violin, are fun, but hard to tolerate by listeners, so only test occasionally in my studio.

Money is not an issue for me. I have not got that long to go.

If anyone can help me with a short list I will go to the store and just play. But beauty is a factor.

Nothing.

Just trying to select the best Gibson guitar.

If not I will look at another brand. Guild, Martin, etc.

I'm happy to give you my opinion....it's worth no more than anyone else's.

I enjoy some "bling' and I have several guitars that I plan on passing down to my grandkids, (son isn't much into playing).

When I first looked for an "upscale" acoustic guitar, I wouldn't consider anything other than a Gibson. Nothing else competes with them.

I considered a J200, but it was kind of big for me. However, I LOVED the natural maple back & sides.

I already had a Dove, so when I stumbled onto the Doves In Flight, I knew it was the one I wanted.

When I found a Doves In Flight with natural Maple back & sides, I bought it immediately.

Now, if you feel comfortable with the size of the J200, I'd DEFIANTLY go for it.

If you some "bling", I think the "vine" is incredible.....but..... it you want the "ultimate" guitar, the Monarch, (J250), is where I'd go.

They not only have 'bling' they also have upscale components over the J200, (Waverly tuners ILO Grovers).

So, if money is no object, and the size fits your body type, I'd sure consider it!\

Good luck.

By the way... DON'T think you'll get the same "Bang" with a Martin or Guild.

Thanks for the link, $45,000 seems an interesting price.

It is true that I am not buying on price. I want a guitar that sounds great and looks good.

I wonder if the J250, is worth double the price of J200. It seems that many J200s are produced each month, but only one J250. I wonder if it will retain its value over the years.

In some ways the J250 seems to have to much inlay on the fretboard. I wonder is this affects fingering.

Some people have said that each Gibson of the same model can play and sound different. Is this true? I don't live in the US, would probably visit the US to buy from a store where I could play to test it out? if so I guess there are not many stores with a J250.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Thanks for the link, $45,000 seems an interesting price.

It is true that I am not buying on price. I want a guitar that sounds great and looks good.

I wonder if the J250, is worth double the price of J200. It seems that many J200s are produced each month, but only one J250. I wonder if it will retain its value over the years.

In some ways the J250 seems to have to much inlay on the fretboard. I wonder is this affects fingering.

Some people have said that each Gibson of the same model can play and sound different. Is this true? I don't live in the US, would probably visit the US to buy from a store where I could play to test it out? if so I guess there are not many stores with a J250.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

well yes that is correct one instrument will sound different from another one even if it's the same model .

but to be honest with If you buy the J250 I don't think it's a guitar made to be played on a daily basis , I think the guys at gibson make it more for the collectors . So before you buy think about if you want a guitar you can play everyday or if you want something as a display or collection piece. If you want something to play everday buy a J 200 model from the Custom Shop and that if you take care of it in the future it will be worth more than you paid for it . You don't have to pay thousands of dollars to get a great guitar . I'll leave a couple of options for you to look at :

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/J-200-Custom.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/Montana-Gold-Flame-Maple.aspx

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/10525/Gibson-SJ-200-Acoustic-Guitar-Vintage-Sunburst-Aged/

here is a youtube sample of a great j 200 custom listen to it :

take care

JC

So many odd things about this thread...

I have to ask you, TRPZ, how have you determined it is a J-200/250/300 that you want? You don't seem vary familiar with these guitars. Is it purely the aesthetic? Have you decided on this model because of how it sounds, then just want a fancy looking one? Nothing at all wrong with wanting a fancy looking guitar, but there are fancy versions of other Gibson models out there, such as the Doves in Flight that DanvillRob mentioned. There is also a blinged out version of the Hummingbird. Just curious if you should consider other Gibson models than just the J-200, especially when you mention possibly buying a Guild or Martin.

Good luck with your search!

Archived