Gibson Brands Forums

SJ250 Vs J250

TRPZ

So many odd things about this thread...

I have to ask you, TRPZ, how have you determined it is a J-200/250/300 that you want? You don't seem vary familiar with these guitars. Is it purely the aesthetic? Have you decided on this model because of how it sounds, then just want a fancy looking one? Nothing at all wrong with wanting a fancy looking guitar, but there are fancy versions of other Gibson models out there, such as the Doves in Flight that DanvillRob mentioned. There is also a blinged out version of the Hummingbird. Just curious if you should consider other Gibson models than just the J-200, especially when you mention possibly buying a Guild or Martin.

Good luck with your search!

You gotta admit...it IS beautiful! (and sounds and plays just as good as it looks!)

DSC01308.jpg?t=1264195519

WOW rob . I'm kinda bummed out Justin bieber has own of these I'd like a lefty someday. WOW again !!

Did Ren make it ?

thanks for that wonderful pic

Yeah... I feel the same way about Justin owning one....I like to think more in the vein of George Strait, KT Tungstal, Gretchen Wilson, Randy Travis and others.

I have no idea if Ren had a hand in making that guitar..... I should get a mirror and light and look over the inside real good.

Yeah nice guitar Rob. I've always liked the DiF. But, the point of the thread seems to have been lost along the way. The OP has a unique dilemma which got our attention since most of us here would LOVE to have the same problem: A lot of money and the need to make a decision real quickly on a really expensive blinged out guitar that sounds good. If we can't provide help, he may even have to buy a Martin!

My suggestion - since he is in a foreign country, has limited time and probably has limited access to see and play guitars like this - is that he get together off line with GotoMSDOS who has already done extensive research on similar issues and can probably provide not only insights on Gibson Accoustics , but also the challenges of buying from a foreign country, currency translation, etc. Thoughts?

Yeah nice guitar Rob. I've always liked the DiF. But, the point of the thread seems to have been lost along the way. The OP has a unique dilemma which got our attention since most of us here would LOVE to have the same problem: A lot of money and the need to make a decision real quickly on a really expensive blinged out guitar that sounds good. If we can't provide help, he may even have to buy a Martin!

My suggestion - since he is in a foreign country, has limited time and probably has limited access to see and play guitars like this - is that he get together off line with GotoMSDOS who has already done extensive research on similar issues and can probably provide not only insights on Gibson Accoustics , but also the challenges of buying from a foreign country, currency translation, etc. Thoughts?

Actually posting the photo was in keeping with the thread.... TRPZ didn't say he had a lot of money. He said price wasn't a consideration.

GT Silver asked if he was locked into the J200/J250 since TRPZ didn't seem to know much about them, and suggested maybe a dread instead.

My photo was to show what a DIF looks like.

Also, TRPZ said if/when he decided to get something, he'd make a trip to the US, (I suspect to hold/play/hear the guitar before laying down the cash).

Also, TRPZ is a little cryptic about why price is not a consideration.... he slipped in a comment about not being around too long. Not sure what he meant, but

passing a beautiful guitar along to someone seemed very important to him.

If he wants a player with bling, my DIF is an every-day player. But if he's got his heart set on a J200/J250, he won't go wrong.

If he buys a Martin or Guild, I think he won't be getting the guitar he thinks he is, and whoever he passes it along to won't be getting the mojo they might expect.

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice. Much more than I had expected.

It seems that Gibson is a good option. Still not sure if the J250 is worth twice the price of the J200. But is will make a wonderful gift one day.

I was thinking of having it shipped from the US, but from the comments it is better to find a store where I can play to test it out, though I guess not many stores have the J250 in stock.

Thanks again, and keep this thread going if there are any additional comments about the J250, J200 or other similar Gibson guitars.

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice. Much more than I had expected.

It seems that Gibson is a good option. Still not sure if the J250 is worth twice the price of the J200. But is will make a wonderful gift one day.

I was thinking of having it shipped from the US, but from the comments it is better to find a store where I can play to test it out, though I guess not many stores have the J250 in stock.

Thanks again, and keep this thread going if there are any additional comments about the J250, J200 or other similar Gibson guitars.

HEre is one if you are interted it's used (made in 2000) asking price is $14,995

http://www.grinningelk.com/product/1040/2000-Gibson-J--250-Monarch

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man.... that is beautiful!

Thanks for the link. Interesting that it is cheaper than a new one. $15,000 instead of $20,000.

I am still torn between the J200 and J250.

Does the J200 say Custom Made, as this linked guitar does?

Archived