Gibson Brands Forums

1959 ES-330 Re-issue!!!!!

dougg330

As my forum handle might suggest, I am a huge fan of the ES-330. I have owned several, and currently have a '66 and love it. But I've always wanted a '59 - a little homage to Grant Green never hurt anybody.

I recently played one of the 330L reissues and it just wasn't there for me - I just prefer the original 16th fret neck/body joint.

Well, I just saw a video from NAMM 2012 posted by Wildwood Guitars that featured Greg Koch interviewing a cat from Gibson who explained the new 1959 ES-330 reissue. Original neck/body joint, dot neck, same top and bottom woods and thickness, rolled fingerboard edges so it feels like original. They even changed the plating on the P-90 base plates to match the '59's. He didn't demo the guitar, sadly.

I don't know when it will be available or what it will cost. Can anyone clue me in?

Also, would anyone like to buy a vintage, VG + condition kidney?

I love the ES-330 and I couldn't wait till they did a historic reissue and I think I even heard in that video that they were making one in a Cherry finish with a Bigsby! Time to start saving up my money!

Check out Wildwood Guitars in CO (wildwoodguitars.com) They have 3 of the Bigsby-equipped, cherry red 330's in stock. Bruce Beard sent me pix yesterday. Gorgeous! I really want the sunburst/trapeze tailpiece model, but would have to sell a couple of my guitars to swing the purchase...so I could just be drooling and not buying for a while.

I have a blue 330L & love it. Really nice to see Gibson continuing to bring back the 330. A couple of interesting notes from another forum: The neck profile is pretty large, and the fingerboard apparently is a pancake made from two pieces of rosewood. The large neck profile might be a deal breaker for some folks, so if at all possible, try before you buy.

I have a blue 330L & love it. Really nice to see Gibson continuing to bring back the 330. A couple of interesting notes from another forum: The neck profile is pretty large, and the fingerboard apparently is a pancake made from two pieces of rosewood. The large neck profile might be a deal breaker for some folks, so if at all possible, try before you buy.

Good point about the big neck - the 59's were kind of a handful. I like the slim neck on my 66 - good for my achy hands.

Can you describe the pancake fingerboard? That's a new one on me. Wonder if it's because Gibson's rosewood supply is dwindling?

I noticed in the MF catalog that several of the new models have a "baked maple" fingerboard. Sacrilege!

Thanks for the info

Well just picked up the sunburst ES 330 59 and did not take long to make my mind up just gorgeous Gibson did a wonderful custom job as this guitars looks like a vintage instrument . Sounds really sweet and its a easy player but those p90s snarl and growl when you push them .

Very cool so far .

Well just picked up the sunburst ES 330 59 and did not take long to make my mind up just gorgeous Gibson did a wonderful custom job as this guitars looks like a vintage instrument . Sounds really sweet and its a easy player but those p90s snarl and growl when you push them .

Very cool so far .

I think I speak for everyone when I say....PICS!? Can you give us a full run down of the guitar whenever you get a chance. I love reading in hand reviews of guitars i'm totally lusting after! Thanks and congrats, sir!!!

Is the pancake fingerboard confirmed for this model instead of a traditional one? Awesome guitar but that's a deal breaker on a reissue for me.

quote name='dougg330' timestamp='1327973557' post='1109386']

Good point about the big neck - the 59's were kind of a handful. I like the slim neck on my 66 - good for my achy hands.

Can you describe the pancake fingerboard? That's a new one on me. Wonder if it's because Gibson's rosewood supply is dwindling?

I noticed in the MF catalog that several of the new models have a "baked maple" fingerboard. Sacrilege!

Thanks for the info

Is the pancake fingerboard confirmed for this model instead of a traditional one? Awesome guitar but that's a deal breaker on a reissue for me.

I don't want to be guilty of spreading a rumour if it's not true, but....

Assuming it has one, what is it about the 'pancake' fingerboard you don't like? I just have never heard of that, and so therefore, I'm not aware of what the issues might be

Will there be a cherry-red model available that does not have a bigsby? Or do all the red models come with a Bigsby?

I plan to buy one of these. The cherry red would have been my first choice for color, but I'm not interested in a Bigsby. So, if red and bigsby are married, then I guess I'll have to go for a sunburst model.

Richard

Will there be a cherry-red model available that does not have a bigsby? Or do all the red models come with a Bigsby?

I plan to buy one of these. The cherry red would have been my first choice for color, but I'm not interested in a Bigsby. So, if red and bigsby are married, then I guess I'll have to go for a sunburst model.

Richard

Here is whats available

http://www2.gibson.c...tom/ES-330.aspx

• 1 month later...

Archived