Gibson Brands Forums

Any Rev Gary Davis fans...?

Glenn P

[re Candyman] uh gee, what denomination is he? [lol][rolleyes]
Being sanctified, Rev Davis had an issue with blues, but as Ernie Hawkins said, he had loopholes: lessons, requests etc. Stefan Grossman said he would 'talk' a blues but sing gospel. Something like that.

Hey Jeremy, where you know Ernie from? A good man with a sportin' right hand, as the Rev would say.

'

Being sanctified, Rev Davis had an issue with blues, but as Ernie Hawkins said, he had loopholes: lessons, requests etc. Stefan Grossman said he would 'talk' a blues but sing gospel. Something like that.

Hey Jeremy, where you know Ernie from? A good man with a sportin' right hand, as the Rev would say.

'

I work at the factory in Montana. I have spoken with him a time or two for customer service matters. He is a very nice man and a talented picker and songwriter!

JM

Back when I was this middle class white kid trying to figure out the secret to playing da bluz', I snagged a handful of lessons with Rev. Davis. I gave him $5 and at one point a box of cigars (which I "borrowed" from my grandfather - caught hell for that one later). He could go on with those lessons for hours. Thing was though it was pretty tough for me to get to his house in Queens. Thinking back on it, I wonder how different a player I would be if I kept up with them.

At the factory in Montana... I have spoken with [Ernie] for customer service matters.
He gave some workshops at a (now defunkt) music store near me. It was a pleasure to spend some time with him. He assessed the mixed bag of skills of those present and imparted something meaningful. Guys, Check Ernie out on FB, many videos https://www.facebook.com/erniehawkins?ref=ts#!/erniehawkins?sk=videos --

Yeah, I'm another fan of RGD. I had the good fortune to attend a seminar and concert a couple of months ago that focused on the Reverend's music and featured Elijah Wald, Stefan Grossman, Ernie Hawkins, and Jorma Kaukanen. It was a great evening. Ernie, as it turns out, has a Ph.D. in philosophy. Elijah talked about the background of Davis's music and played a bit. The others talked a bit and played a whole bunch.

I also took part in a workshop a few months ago that Roy Book Binder -- another Gary Davis deciple -- offered. Roy taught us a lot of Davis's "bag of tricks" for playing in his style. I still have tons more to learn but Roy gave us all a lot of great stuff to work on. The kind of rag-oriented blues that Gary Davis played is definitely my favorite style of guitar and it's where I put most of my effort. So much to learn and so little time.

I had the good fortune to attend a seminar and concert a couple of months ago that focused on the Reverend's music and featured Elijah Wald, Stefan Grossman, Ernie Hawkins, and Jorma Kaukanen.

Was that the one they had down at UNC or thereabouts? Ernie's FB page had a glowing report of the event.

Have any of you fellow RGD fans been able to compare the lesson videos from Ernie Hawkins and Roy Book Binder? If so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the two stack up when it comes to actually sitting down and working with them.

Back when I was this middle class white kid trying to figure out the secret to playing da bluz', I snagged a handful of lessons with Rev. Davis. I gave him $5 and at one point a box of cigars (which I "borrowed" from my grandfather - caught hell for that one later). He could go on with those lessons for hours. Thing was though it was pretty tough for me to get to his house in Queens. Thinking back on it, I wonder how different a player I would be if I kept up with them.

Zombywoof,

That cracking noise you are hearing is the suffering that my old knees are sustaining while I genuflect in your direction. RGD was the greatest ever (well, along with Blind Blake) IMHO. I've hung with many of his disciples-Stefan, Ernie, Roy, Woody, Jorma -but I'll be forever envious of you for getting to spend time with THE man.

Have any of you fellow RGD fans been able to compare the lesson videos from Ernie Hawkins and Roy Book Binder? If so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the two stack up when it comes to actually sitting down and working with them.

I have both guys' dvd's. All and each are great.

Roy does Roy with a smattering of GD, Blind Blake, Lemon and much more Roy which is great! Not as much help for GD though. Good starter...

Ernie does as close to GD as he can get - same guitar, same pickin fingers, same guitar stance, and really in-depth - sensational. I tried to think of an easier one to begin with, but guess what - there are none! A good approach would be to try Ernie's dvd on Lightnin' Hopkins to get the feel of his teaching style, then progress to Ernie's 'Blues Guitar of Gary Davis' and on to (Gulp) GD's Gospel Guitar 4 dvd set (again gulp - heavy duty!)

Don't let me put you off - the sooner you start, the sooner you are away!

BluesKing7777.

I have both guys' dvd's. All and each are great.

Roy does Roy with a smattering of GD, Blind Blake, Lemon and much more Roy which is great! Not as much help for GD though. Good starter...

Ernie does as close to GD as he can get - same guitar, same pickin fingers, same guitar stance, and really in-depth - sensational. I tried to think of an easier one to begin with, but guess what - there are none! A good approach would be to try Ernie's dvd on Lightnin' Hopkins to get the feel of his teaching style, then progress to Ernie's 'Blues Guitar of Gary Davis' and on to (Gulp) GD's Gospel Guitar 4 dvd set (again gulp - heavy duty!)

Don't let me put you off - the sooner you start, the sooner you are away!

BluesKing7777.

Ernie's stuff sounds perfect. One of the things that I like about RGDs music is that there is more than enough going on for those of us who only pick and don't sing.

Archived