Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar cases.

Thundergod

How many guitar cases do you own? Do you guys own one for each guitar or just use some for many guitars that fit inside the same case?

What about guys like retro, do you have some kind of tag system where you can find/know what's inside any of them at any time?

The most guitars I've had is 17 I think and I had a different case for everyone of them (the gibbies all had different cases, minor differences but noticeable). I don't know what I'd have done if I had them in cases of the same model. I would have gone nuts just thinking that I put one of the guitars in the wrong case (that is the same case) LOL

One hardcase for each guitar, and an extra gig bag for my LP.

I keep all my guitars in cases when not in use. Seems like someone here said that keeping a guitar stored in a case is bad for it. I'd always heard just the opposite, although I believe that keeping my Gretsch 6120 Nashville in the case may have contributed to the removal of some of the gold off of the tremelo. Don't know if it abraded or some residual melamine of formaldehyde from the glue caused it to flake off. When I first got my Carvin, something in the case caused nickle frets to tarnish. That stopped after I aired it out.

Yep everything has it's own case. Ive never bought a guitar especially from Gibson that didn't come with a case included if it didn't come with a case or they tried to charge for the case I walk away.

And yes Thunder I have a tag system that identifies each case and the instrument in it. The tags are even color coded to the type of guitar and which rack it lives in. Guitar the cases always go back into the racks in the same place so that I can find specific guitars without digging threw dozens of identical cases, I Have custom closets built that hold 6 guitars on each shelf. The below photo shows the racks but many of the tags were removed as I was replacing the paper hang tags with a metal Dog Tag just like the military uses. I have a friend who recently bought one of the dog tag engravers to take to art shows and make tags and he brought it over to practice making them and this photo was taken when we were swapping them out. Just like in the military each guitar has a set of two tags. One is on the case handle the other is in a key box with a case key so that I can lock the cases when there racked.

IMG_1527.jpg

I have four cases for my four Guitars. I'm ordering a new US Telecaster and a Gretsch Pro Jet next month. The Gretsch only comes with a gig bag so I'm ordering a Gretsch case which is nearly half the cost of the Guitar. I like to play different Guitars at gigs which means cases for all.

Archived