Gibson Brands Forums

Guess a Gibson #2

The question still is – Which one ?

I called for Her Majesty some weeks ago after the side 2 Abbey Road performance on the other thread –

Since nobody responded, I give it a shot in this free flying test-medley.

It's just a stripe in the air, , , , I'm no real blues-man, but Delnilppznaf asked for some in the first game and the end is for him.

Enjoy - http://soundcloud.co.../which-gibson-2

Answer will come up during Sunday.

I hear more resewood than mahogany or maple, thats my first impression. I hear similarities to my Songwriter, but I also hear more of a vintage tone, which leads me to an AJ. However I hear a lot of J-45 there, which leads more to my nomination: J-45 rosewood.

What you heard - ladies and gentlemen - , , , was the 2010 J-45 Standard.

Possibly a bit hard to recognize due to the relatively new strings. I should have waited, but had the time and possibility to improvise the strip at the end of a session and thought – why not. . . .

Sure enough the guitar sounds like a Gibson, but perhaps you're right : it could have been others.

Some of you don't hear hog in these tests. Could it be that my hands have been playing rosewood for too long hehe. . . EA's shot was inspired and creative. Still the conventional 45 characteristics come across in the strumming passage – as I hear it anyway, , , most of you did too.

Anyway, , , , maybe the lesson is (as I been stating several times). Stings should serve the wood – not the other way around. We wanna hear that instrument.

A continued good weekend from here – and thanks for joining.

Btw. I appreciate this 6-string more than a lot.

It was good from the beginning, , , and has grown ~

What you heard - ladies and gentlemen - , , , was the 2010 J-45 Standard.

Possibly a bit hard to recognize due to the relatively new strings. I should have waited, but had the time and possibility to improvise the strip at the end of a session and thought – why not. . . .

Sure enough the guitar sounds like a Gibson, but perhaps you're right : it could have been different ones.

Some of you don't hear hog in these tests. Could it be that my hands have been playing rosewood for too long hehe. . . EA's shot was inspired and creative. Still the conventional 45 characteristics come across in the strumming passage – as I hear it anyway, , , most of you did too.

Anyway, , , , maybe the lesson is (as I been stating several times). Stings should serve the wood – not the other way around. We wanna hear that instrument.

A continued good weekend from here – and thanks for joining.

Btw. I appreciate this 6-string more than a lot.

It was good from the beginning, , , and has grown ~

Em7,

Your J-45 sounds totally different from mine. Totally. Not saying' either one is better than the other. Just.....different...... But that strikes me as a J-45 thing in general. They may look alike, but they certainly don't sound alike, particularly when the strings are brand new.

Perhaps it's the brightness of the new strings. Speaking of which, what are you using for strings?

In my experience, nothing impacts on the sound of an acoustic guitar more than the choice of strings.

Em7,

Your J-45 sounds totally different from mine. Totally. Not saying' either one is better than the other. Just.....different...... But that strikes me as a J-45 thing in general. They may look alike, but they certainly don't sound alike, particularly when the strings are brand new.

Perhaps it's the brightness of the new strings. Speaking of which, what are you using for strings?

In my experience, nothing impacts on the sound of an acoustic guitar more than the choice of strings.

Yes the 45's differ from wave to wave, year to year, decade to decade.

These strings are Martin 12-54's Flex Core, which I don't know too well. Tried another set on my Bird and they have a pretty long tail.

They were put on the 45 the 14th of Jan. and was played a handful of times before the recording on the 26th.

Still look forward to hear yours. I mean, it is just as strange as mine is straight.

Yes the 45's differ from wave to wave, year to year, decade to decade.

These strings are Martin 12-54's Flex Core, which I don't know too well. Tried another set on my Bird and they have a pretty long tail.

They were put on the 45 the 14th of Jan. and was played a handful of times before the recording on the 26th.

Still look forward to hear yours. I mean, it is just as strange as mine is straight.

Actually, we're pretty straight here, and have been for decades. Too much going' on in the world that demands all our attention, all the time. The years of self-indulgence are long gone.

Actually, we're pretty straight here, and have been for decades. Too much going' on in the world that demands all our attention, all the time. The years of self-indulgence are long gone.

I was merely thinking about the ever morphing J-45, but agree. The world is in a series of tempests these years, , , and they don't look like the previous ones.

Guess the guitar zone is the place to calm down and focus on something else, , , unless you are a protest-singer. . .

I did have a listen and had this down as something with a tighter bottom end than a J45, perhaps maple based or so I thought.

I now know it’s the new strings that added a level of zing to the sound

For those that record you will know you have to wait a good 2 weeks to get a good tone from a new set of strings

I have just put coated strings on my J45 , approx 3 weeks ago and they still sound too new. When I start recording they will come off, unless they are toned down by then

Madman Greg