Gibson Brands Forums

Exclusive Gibson J-45 Custom Five Star LTD

Spot

Ren.jpg

Has anyone seen or played one of these yet?

The story goes that Ren Gibson personally found a stash of beautifully grained Rosewood on a trip to India, ordered it and used it for these 50 exclusive models.

Guitar Village got 6 of them and I played one yesterday....

The Back & side are beautiful and the Rosewood gives this baby a very sweet sound, the nicest of the 6-7 jumbos they had in the showroom. The Headstock and tuners are lovely but the body bling is just a little to loud for my conservative tastes!!!

Far preferred the look of the Custom Shop Tri-Burst they had in stock, although the neck was a little to chunky for me....

J-45 Custom Five Star LTD
Exclusively available to Gibson Five Star Dealers only - 50 Made Worldwide - 25 Available in Europe

Gibsons top selling J-45 Custom with exclusive enhancements for a super charged acoustic performance and high collectable value!

Select Wide Grained Adriondack Red Spruce Top
   Herringbone Trim
   Master Luthier Ren Fergusons Exclusive Mystically Figured Rosewood Back & Sides
   Open Back Gold Butterbean Tuners
   Classic MoP Gibson Headstock Block Logo
   L.R. Baggs Element Pickup

Her's the Tri-burst....

Tr.jpg

Yeah the local 5 Star Dealer here has one and it is really one of the most beautiful backs I've seen. Very playable and the sound is what one would expect from a short scale rosewood.

...what did you make of the soundhole & body Bling?

[mellow]

That certainly is a beautifull guitar. Can,t see much bling from the photos though.

...Yeah,..its hard to see on my photo but if you go to the link below and scroll over the binding and soundhole,..you will see what I mean...

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?pid=11939&c=150&product=Gibson+J-45+Custom+Five+Star+LTD+%2313131065%2c+New%2c+Vintage+Sunburst%2c+Inc.+Case

...Yeah,..its hard to see on my photo but if you go to the link below and scroll over the binding and soundhole,..you will see what I mean...

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?pid=11939&c=150&product=Gibson+J-45+Custom+Five+Star+LTD+%2313131065%2c+New%2c+Vintage+Sunburst%2c+Inc.+Case

That is a truly gorgeous guitar, but I have always struggled to get my head around the idea of a rosewood J-45.

It's sort of like putting a Chevy V-8 in an Austin Healy, which a lot of kids did when I was in high school: it's really cool, fast, and different, but it ain't necessarily right.

...what did you make of the soundhole & body Bling?

[mellow]

I'd say it was a step or two up from a normal J45 with the enhanced soundhole and body binding. Very well done but not overstated. I really like the fretboard binding on almost any guitar and it looks good here. Again the grain of the rosewood is soooooo beautiful on the one I played. The 5 Star, as you can see, does not have the fancy headstock inlay of the regular 45 custom. I like that inlay, designed by Ren, but would take the wood grain over the fancy inlay if I was making a choice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well going buy looks, i thought it was mine at first :).

Mine is a real nice guitar, sounds really nice, plays like butter. Thing is though I've not played enough Gibson acoustics to say. I've played a couple in store's........all I can say is i'm happy with mine.

I take it this is second hand or is it new? Why's he wanna sell it so soon, cause they were only made tail end of last year.

I was looking at a local advert for a AJ, the seller says great guitar etc, then says he has to sell it to pay for a flood he's had. Straight away I'm thinking flood damage, just goes to show, but why he'd put it in the advert?

Sorry should have read the first post, so it's new, I think and hope you'll be happy with it :)

Thank you, Danner. Glad to know it's not just me....... [unsure]

Just so everyone here knows.....There is no such animal as a short scale AJ. Gibson just doesn't get it. They have the need to take everything original and make a joke out of it. They even made Mahogany short scale guitars and called them AJ's. If you have one ounce of pride in your heritage and history you would never do something so foolish. Having said that they obviously don't.

I don't know what the guitar with the beautiful Rosewood is but it isn't a J-45 and it isn't an Advanced Jumbo. It's pretty as hell and I bet it sounds great. It's just not a J-45.

Just so everyone here knows.....There is no such animal as a short scale AJ. Gibson just doesn't get it. They have the need to take everything original and make a joke out of it. They even made Mahogany short scale guitars and called them AJ's. If you have one ounce of pride in your heritage and history you would never do something so foolish. Having said that they obviously don't.

I don't know what the guitar with the beautiful Rosewood is but it isn't a J-45 and it isn't an Advanced Jumbo. It's pretty as hell and I bet it sounds great. It's just not a J-45.

Amen, brother.

Imagine if Martin called the D-28 the "custom rosewood D-18". They'd get laughed out of town.

An all mahogany Les Paul is still a Les Paul, isn't it? J200 with rosewood or maple is still a J200, don't hear anybody complaining about those. Lots of examples with Gibson and other builders. I see your point but don't think it's as big a deal as you guys.

This particular j45 has a red spruce top same as a tv but they have changed the back and sides to a rw. Now that being said I agree 100% with you on the fact of heritage. But unfortunately it's all about the money. No different than music. Country from the 90s was great now everything is digital and you can barely hear a guitar. They make what sells bottom line