Gibson Brands Forums

I have a 2008 les Paul standard but....

jt500lp

It's not the new one. It has older les Paul standard specs (no locking jack, tuners, bridge, tailpiece etc.) My question is: when did Gibson stop making the les Paul standard with the older specs? I thought the 2008 was suppose to have all the new features.

I think that maybe you got a Les Paul Standard that was made in 2008 rather than a 2008 Standard... if you see what I mean. Of course thats an assumption.. What year was it made in? Maybe stick some pics up for us.

For instance I also have a 2008 Standard that I actually bought and was made in 2011.

IMHO if you got an older standard than the more recent 2008 standard then consider the upgrades as downgrades. Especially if you admire and appreciate the classics that we all grew up loving.

I'll probably spark off another controversal debate but thats why its my oppinion.

The traditional is the Les Paul Standard we all grew up loving the 2008 standard is the modern standard....

Isn't the Traditional, the new version of the non weight relieved Les Paul`s?

[confused]

no its based on the les pauls of the 80's

2008 is chambered (hollowed out), traditional is weight relieved (9 holes drilled into the upper bout)

Ok cool I guess I have one of the last les Paul's made before they completely switched over to the "new" standards. According to my serial number mine was made on the 291st day of 2008. I just figured by then they would have stopped making the old standards by that point.

IMHO if you got an older standard than the more recent 2008 standard then consider the upgrades as downgrades. Especially if you admire and appreciate the classics that we all grew up loving.

I'll probably spark off another controversal debate but thats why its my oppinion.

The traditional is the Les Paul Standard we all grew up loving the 2008 standard is the modern standard....

Well the only thing id say to that is the locking tuners are ACE, your in tune within one turn of the tuner.. apart from that it doesnt make a huge amount of difference.. (its not like you cant fit some to one of the older models or visa versa :) )

Archived