Gibson Brands Forums

The trouble with Newbies!

retrorod

Over the few years that I have perused this and other forums, I find that a great majority of 'newbies' come in for information or advice and never follow-up.

Most of the time they are very thin-skinned to the humor and heckling that they may recieve on their initial posts and 'drop out'. Or....they get the info that they are in search of and then 'drop-out'..!

I say....WhatUPWitDat..?? [confused]

I guess I am guilty of the same thing. Once, I joined the John Deere Forum after getting a new JD lawn tractor. I posted a couple times.....ain,t been back since.

I just proved my own point....SOooooo, I will shut-up now.

I am addicted to the Gibson Forums and will never leave until they pry my cold fingers off the neck of my CF100E.... [scared]

I've had to join forums just to ask one question so I know that noob feeling. some places are really great, some have blue blood.

I think what irks me are the "my grandfather left me an old Gibson and I'd like to know what it's worth". Get real. We know you bought it at a yard sale and you want to flip it. I have more respect if you're honest. Hell, I flip all the time.

Some use the net for different reasons.

One of those, is to find answers. I don't so much mind the person who comes on for an answer, rather than for conversation or as a contributor. I feel like it is providing a community service.

I take a view that the net is relatively new, in that is has not been around for a full generation. And at the same time, I think for the younger generation, there is a 'gap' in etiquette and manners. I think in a lot of ways the internet and such has caused some of it, and also the fact the younger generation also uses the new forms of communication more, so a lot of what us consider basic manners and etiquette are missing.

I don't mean to imply that the younger generation are bad, and I don't do things a lot of things the generation before me did. But rather things like thank you letters and invites are some things that seem to not exist anymore. And also, the way people address each other is another difference. So, in a lot of ways a younger guy might SEEM rude, but has no intentions of being rude.

And of corse, what it IS, this net thing, I don't think it has really been established yet, which is my point. To some of us, it is a conversation, and a place to socialize. To others, it is a way to spread info, and take it as a way to get a word out, or even create controversy. As if the only reason or use for a forum is if an agenda can exist, and thus, feels obligated to have one.

There does seem to be on most other forums I read, an idea that if you are posting on the net, it is open season to say anything you want, much like a politician running for office should expect an opponent to say bad things about him. I think overall, it might be 'proper' behavior when posting on a new forum to first try and understand what is acceptable or not for that given forum before deciding what is acceptable or not for yourself to post.

Over the few years that I have perused this and other forums, I find that a great majority of 'newbies' come in for information or advice and never follow-up.

Most of the time they are very thin-skinned to the humor and heckling that they may recieve on their initial posts and 'drop out'. Or....they get the info that they are in search of and then 'drop-out'..!

I say....WhatUPWitDat..?? [confused]

I guess I am guilty of the same thing. Once, I joined the John Deere Forum after getting a new JD lawn tractor. I posted a couple times.....ain,t been back since.

I just proved my own point....SOooooo, I will shut-up now.

I am addicted to the Gibson Forums and will never leave until they pry my cold fingers off the neck of my CF100E.... [scared]

Sounds like you've been "lownered" before, old Talkbass members should know what I'm talking about. That's a term they used to use over there based on a member who used to ask a question and then never follow up when people would reply to his thread. It can be irritating at times, but what do you do? Some people just don't care what goes on in a forum.

Just throw in your banter and enjoy whatever you get from any reaction or response. You don't need to run a thread of thought but some of us enjoy that. No charge, no harm, no foul, but retain a sense of humor. We love talking about the gift of being able to put our fingers in a configuration that produces a pleasing harmonic sound. It's a rush....

Just throw in your banter and enjoy whatever you get from any reaction or response. You don't need to run a thread of thought but some of us enjoy that. No charge, no harm, no foul, but retain a sense of humor. We love talking about the gift of being able to put our fingers in a configuration that produces a pleasing harmonic sound. It's a rush....

Yep! Under the right 'medication'....I can always 'lay back'..... [smile]

Interesting...When I was a "newbie" (5 years ago, or so), it was back when there was very little

monitoring going on. Talk about "Minefields?!" Whewee! But, I stuck it out, because the good

folks, and great info, outnumbered the jerks, and idiotic behavior, for the most part. I must

admit, though, that I'm glad there is more (and, fairer) monitoring, nowadays, for a variety of

reasons. The forums here, are much nicer, more helpful, less hostile, overall...and a lot more

pleasant, as well.

CB

As has been said forums are used for different purposes. I periodicallyvisit two other forums. One is a professional forum the other is related toanother interest of mine. I spend more time on this forum than the other twoput together. I started lurking on this forum when I was looking to replace my old j160. I found a lot of good information. I first posted when I got my newj45. I just wanted to tell somebody who would know what I was experiencing andto see the reactions. Since then, I am still learning a lot. I still considermyself as a newbie, because I do nothave any profound to contribute. It is still fun and profitable. I lurkconsiderably more than I post, but when the busy Christmas season came by I realizedI was spending far too much time on this forum. It is sort of addicting!! Ihave been trying to spend less time on this forum, but every time I decide tolook and see I am stuck reading through most of the threads. So, it isinformative and enjoyable and far too time consuming!! As is probably true with any forum, it becomes a community.

chasAK

As has been said forums are used for different purposes. I periodicallyvisit two other forums. One is a professional forum the other is related toanother interest of mine. I spend more time on this forum than the other twoput together. I started lurking on this forum when I was looking to replace my old j160. I found a lot of good information. I first posted when I got my newj45. I just wanted to tell somebody who would know what I was experiencing andto see the reactions. Since then, I am still learning a lot. I still considermyself as a newbie, because I do nothave any profound to contribute. It is still fun and profitable. I lurkconsiderably more than I post, but when the busy Christmas season came by I realizedI was spending far too much time on this forum. It is sort of addicting!! Ihave been trying to spend less time on this forum, but every time I decide tolook and see I am stuck reading through most of the threads. So, it isinformative and enjoyable and far too time consuming!! As is probably true with any forum, it becomes a community.

chasAK

i can go along with that , very addictive , but i've learnt a lot in the few months ive been here . have used forums in the past and while there are a few asses the majority are not . definately one of the friendliest i've been on.

anyone else think 'the fraudulent grandads' is a band waiting to happen?

I've had to join forums just to ask one question so I know that noob feeling. some places are really great, some have blue blood.

I think what irks me are the "my grandfather left me an old Gibson and I'd like to know what it's worth". Get real. We know you bought it at a yard sale and you want to flip it. I have more respect if you're honest. Hell, I flip all the time.

Nice to see you!

Red 333

I have a 2009 J45 Standard, I found it in a Guitar Center store just hanging on the wall.Could you please tell me how much it is worth. No No, I dont want to sell it...Hmmmmm, I just want to know how much its worth. Ha....Oh yeah....

It was quite intimidating wandering onto this forum as I was not just newbie to the forum but to guitar and this forum contains an overwhelming amount of information and talent. What's more I recall when I first joined I was met with some hostility for my ignorance (though that seems to have lessened a great deal), not from everyone but even one person can be enough to scare someone off.

That being said I would say that the majority of people who start and then stop do so because that is how people do things. They start them and lose interest.

I generally try to give noobs the benefit of the doubt. . B)

That is unless they're throwing obviously mean spirited comments, as does happen sometimes. . <_<

As for coming and going . . . it's the nature of the forums. Participation is another similar thing - there's some members here who've been on for years who don't even have 50 posts. No complaint, just sayin'

Great to see you post again Scott. [thumbup] I hope things are 'sorting out' in your world. I however, am absolutely stunned to find out that you would 'flip a guita'.... [scared][-([lol]

Rod

It was quite intimidating wandering onto this forum as I was not just newbie to the forum but to guitar and this forum contains an overwhelming amount of information and talent. What's more I recall when I first joined I was met with some hostility for my ignorance (though that seems to have lessened a great deal), not from everyone but even one person can be enough to scare someone off.

That being said I would say that the majority of people who start and then stop do so because that is how people do things. They start them and lose interest.

Well said BB [thumbup] And BTY, you have always been a "good little newby" [biggrin] Now go forth Grasshopper and conquer....

I hope and think that newcomers to any Forum are treated with respect and welcomed according to their social skills and contributions to the subject at hand.

I find the majority of "one hit wonders" on the Vintage Gibson sub-section. They may lay a burning 'mystery/guestion' in your lap. When you try to give a response or need more info....Poof...they are gone.

Or others may give ya the thin-skinned lament..."If you don,t want me around....blah-blah"

I guess it is just 'societal quirkiness' rearing its ugly head [confused]

At any rate, judging from what a lot of members here say.....this is an easy-going Forum compared to some others....

So Cheers to that [thumbup]

Rod

I generally try to give noobs the benefit of the doubt. . B)

That is unless they're throwing obviously mean spirited comments, as does happen sometimes. . <_<

As for coming and going . . . it's the nature of the forums. Participation is another similar thing - there's some members here who've been on for years who don't even have 50 posts. No complaint, just sayin'

I green-plussed ya on this BigKahune [thumbup]

The one thing that really bigs me is newbies asking for help in identifying a "mystery" guitar and DON'T POST ANY PICTURES. That's just common sense. They just give you a written description or a serial # and expect miracles. It isn't that hard to figure out how to post pictures, so take the time and do it. That's my rant for the day. I'm only allowed one.

When I joined this Forum a few years back I remember taking the time to do an introductory Post, telling other members a bit about myself and my guitars - and what I was hoping to get out of this Forum.

I think this is a good way for "serious" Newbs wanting to be taken seriously. In my opinion, you aren't in it for the long haul if you can't spend 10 minutes to introduce yourself..

It really bothers me when I see a Newb who is obviously just trying to flip a guitar,... so I therefore tend to be a bit harsh with "My Grandpa left me this Guitar" types. It's generally the case that you never see them again after they get what they want... In my opinion this site is not a PAID Customer Service department for people looking for free valuations to sell a guitar....

But hey,...that's just my opinion.

[smile]

I will admit to to some newbie jitters as I didn't realize the depth of experience here and assumed most were hobbyists like me. It can be overwhelming when you're starting something new and see how far behind the curve you are. I will turn 55 this summer and have only been playing for a year or so. I practice regularly, do my homework, and look to this forum daily for inspiration. I think what slowed me down was the request for photos and was embarrassed that I didn't know how to post them. I appreciate the good advice I have received here and have tried to follow it. Thank you. So - I have an iPhone - how do I post pics from phone to this forum?

.... So - I have an iPhone - how do I post pics from phone to this forum?

It's good to have you onboard. . B)

Mobile phone, tablet, laptop or desktop, it's best to have a host like Photobucket.com which is free. You upload your pics to the host and then put a link to the pic here on the forum.

There's instructions on these forums right here - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

I will admit to to some newbie jitters as I didn't realize the depth of experience here and assumed most were hobbyists like me. It can be overwhelming when you're starting something new and see how far behind the curve you are. I will turn 55 this summer and have only been playing for a year or so. I practice regularly, do my homework, and look to this forum daily for inspiration. I think what slowed me down was the request for photos and was embarrassed that I didn't know how to post them. I appreciate the good advice I have received here and have tried to follow it. Thank you. So - I have an iPhone - how do I post pics from phone to this forum?

Welcome aboard. We're all "pretenders" here, in one way or another. Your story is not unique: there are a lot of folks here that either found guitar later in life, or like me, came back to it after decades of putting the guitar aside while life got in the way.

People here are extraordinarily helpful, even if we may sometimes be unnecessarily judgmental. Have patience with us, and we'll have patience with you.

We're all in this together.

Archived