Gibson Brands Forums

granadillo fingerboard

mecca1975

hello i just bought my self my first les paul studio left handed. i was just wondering what best for cleaning the granadillo fingerboard.is lemon oil the best to use or somthing else

Clean it the same way as any other rosewood fretboard: 0000 steel wool and lemon oil.

I don't use steel wool. Steel wool leaves steal fibers in your fretboard that can quickly oxidize and taint the wood. I've never had a fret board filthy enough where a little dab of lemon oil on a cloth didn't suffice.

Also, don't clean your board often with lemon oil, maybe once a year. It is a solvent after all.

0000 Steel wool is fine if the crud really builds up, and will polish oxidized frets too! But you likely won't need to go to this drastic measure for a long while. Wash your hands before playing, wipe the board down after play, and otherwise use the lemon oil one or two times a year, unless your fretboard really looks like it is drying out. :)

How is the granadillo fingerboard?

From what I have seen and read it looks to be a pretty good material? Im really interested to check one out.

I got one of the Baked Maple boards and love it (despite all the moaning on the main site about Gibson using it and other substitutes (like they had any choice about it)..

I don't use steel wool. Steel wool leaves steal fibers in your fretboard that can quickly oxidize and taint the wood. I've never had a fret board filthy enough where a little dab of lemon oil on a cloth didn't suffice.

Also, don't clean your board often with lemon oil, maybe once a year. It is a solvent after all.

+1

Archived