Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Magazines

BIGBENDS

I learned a lot of what I know from guitar mags in the 80's and 90's. I have some old mags from those decades, mostly Guitar Player. Anyone read mags these days? Which are your favorites and why? I was thinking I'd get a subscription to learn something new.

Hey!

Yes, the JCM800 2203. Single channel Marshall bliss. Love'em! On a cab loaded with Celestion G12-65's, ultimate.

Are we related? THATS MY FAVORITE SPEAKER!!!!! Finally someone here understands my concept of tone: single channel Marshall turned up to 11! That seems to be lost on some people. Its either ESP with EMGs and super high gain amp with a billion channels and a bunch of rack fx. Or a tiny little combo with a pedalboard the size of Texas, loaded with a shitload of dirt boxes, fuzz pedals, and they also have a POG. I prefer a good Gibson or a nice Strat or Charvel type guitar, a few boxes, and a JMP or an 800 with TWO cabs turned up to 11! If the police ain't pounding down your door, then you're doin' something worng... HAHAHAHAHA.

Guitar Player is the only mag I've ever subscribed to over the last 10-12 years. I realized that my obsession was getting out of hand, so I decided to unsubscribe. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I re-upped. I like it. They cover a broad spectrum of artists, have comprehensive reviews and lessons, and I think Michael M. does a good job as editor. All that said, I've never heard anything bad about Vintage Guitar.

I rarely read "Guitar" magazines, anymore. Too many Ads, not enough substance...IMHO.

I used to really enjoy "Guitar Player," back when it first started, and for several

years beyond. Great player articles, and "how to" articles, as well. Now, as in most

magazines, on any subject, the advertising has taken over. It's the same thing I hate

about "network" TV, beyond the terrible programming, that is. [cursing][unsure]

CB

Premier Guitar. Great articles , full online version and they review stuff I am interested in.

Least favorite Guitar Aficionado.

I should subscribe to PG. Guitar Aficionado IS NOT A GENUINE GUITAR MAG!!! It showcases guitars as a luxury along with art, fancy cars, jewelry, etc. Another rich people mag. Makes me sick. If I had money Id have a nice place by the woods of SW Montana. A nice private place where I can blast my stacks without being arrested and let my dogs run around. Nothin' to show off, just my integrity and the natural beauty of my surroundings. And some guitars that I buy to play, not display. I don't "need" a 59' Burst', just a couple nice Les Pauls that satisfy me.

I subscribed to Guitar Player a long time ago, back in the days when Arlen Reth and Tommy Tedesco had regular columns on guitar and studio tips. I stopped for a while but subscribed again about 4 years ago. It has changed but so has everything about music.

Archived