Gibson Brands Forums

Desperate for songs!

Kyler Patrick

I'm getting really tired of playing the same old stuff. I'm looking for some new songs to play. any recommendations?

Just so that you are aware of my skill level, I can play sweet child o mine, highway to hell, sweet home alabama and a dozen other songs like that. I'm not that great with solos yet though...i'm getting there. So, any ideas??

Dont just play those songs, really dig deep into them. Learn all the guitar parts of Sweet child, not just the basic begining. Play the tune in a dark room with no ability to see the fret board, etc...

Yeah that's a good idea! I can play all of it, but i need to watch my fingers. This is actually a great tip for any song I'm about to play. Thanks! [thumbup]

I'm getting really tired of playing the same old stuff. I'm looking for some new songs to play. any recommendations?

Just so that you are aware of my skill level, I can play sweet child o mine, highway to hell, sweet home alabama and a dozen other songs like that. I'm not that great with solos yet though...i'm getting there. So, any ideas??

======================================================================================================================================== I would suggest you start listening to different stuff ! surely you'll find something that YOU REALLY LIKE and want to play?[rolleyes] there is a lot out there , I've found sirius radio particularly good esp. BB Kings bluesville. great mix of both old and new! [thumbup] [thumbup] lots'a great stuff ya wont find in the usual places.

Also, do what I did for Bad Brain and Blitzkrieg Bop. Close your eyes and learn each individual part. When you know the parts without looking, look at your hands and be amazed by your own precision.

ok, i don't know anything about your present playing ability, but if you're just starting out i would recommend a few things:

1) play some acoustic guitar. it will strengthen your fingers, and when you play acoustic, you tend to learn entire songs. a lot of guys who only play electric can only play bits and pieces of songs. playing music means being able to play the WHOLE song from beginning to end.

2) practice your rhythm playing. if you don't learn to play rhythmically, you will NEVER be able to play even the simplest of songs.

3) sing along. you don't have to have a great voice. Neil Young doesn't. Bob Dylan doesn't. singing is part of the music.

4) play with others as much as you can. with other guitar players, and with drummers. it's fun and you'll learn more.

4) LAST but not LEAST. spend more time playing and less time on internet forums. when you do feel like surfing the web, check out the thousands and thousands of lessons on youtube and vanderbilly. not all of them are good, but some of them are. learning songs is time well spent. talking about GAS and HNGD is time wasted. it will never make you play better.

Hope that maybe helps a little bit. Good luck

Also, do what I did for Bad Brain and Blitzkrieg Bop. Close your eyes and learn each individual part. When you know the parts without looking, look at your hands and be amazed by your own precision.

yeah, sounds like a good idea. I'm also gonna try out some of the songs that were posted on the forum. and no, i don't live on a military base. It's just a rare, Irish name haha

Archived