Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Looking for a 1950's J200?

Eyecon

I guess the seller doesn't know that they sell for much more than he is asking. I'm no expert, but it looks legit to me. Even looks like one of the NEW TRUE VINTAGE cases.

They seemed to use birdseye-figured maple occasionally on J-200s, J-185s and some archtops in the '50s, and this one has a bit of that going on, from what I can see in the photo.

The case could be a '50s -- it's hard to tell -- but the handle looks like an early '90s case too....

I guess the seller doesn't know that they sell for much more than he is asking.

Because this guitar is being listed in Nashville, he's got to know what a clean one would potentially be worth. All he has to do is walk into Gruhn's downtown for a super accurate appraisal. Something just doesn't seem right. That's a golden era J200, which should command top dollar, and it should be easy to find buyers with money for that guitar in Nashville - if it's structurally sound & has good tone, which is what he makes it out to be. If everything truly is legit, it's a steal. But a lot of strange things can happen on Craigslist. For example, I know first hand of a modified '53 Tele that was sold off ebay (by a fellow in Tennessee) to a friend of mine, and then about a week later someone had lifted the pics off ebay & placed them in a Los Angeles Craigslist ad!

If I cannot touch it ,,, chances are , I wont buy it... I just about got scammed on a early Martin out of Quebec last year... it was posted on Kijiji... the first couple of messages were okay... then it steered into a whole other direction being told to send money to a Payment site in the U.K.. ... something had me wondering about the Guitar even more after that... I went on ebay and scoured through it.. finding the Guitar was owned by a person State side.. and it had Sold to someone still in the U.S...

It was a Total Scam....

The problem with Gruhn is he is Cheap.. He may be good at Knowing his Guitars.. But he sure doesnt like to spend a whole lot on them..

Archived