Gibson Brands Forums

What songs are you working on these days???

onewilyfool

You know, I have many many songs I would like to learn, and I try them out at my cafe gigs.....some of them fly, and some fall flat, So, even though I love the song, it just isn't for me. In fact, a lot of new songs are like overweight people, most of them just don't work out. Here are two that I've incorporated into my play list that HAVE worked out. What are your new songs these days???

Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyFKsXWMz4&feature=related

Tennessee Waltz ( lyrics by Redd Stewart and music by Pee Wee King written in 1946)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of today, I'm learing Julie Miller's "By Way of Sorrow," as covered here by Lucy Kaplansky, Dar Williams and Richard Shindell (from 1999, when they called themselves for a brief time Cry, Cry, Cry)

It's got a-holt of me this day, that's for sure...which means I will have to work it up as my own.

"You have come by way of sorrow,

you have come by way of tears

But you'll reach your destiny,

meant to find you all these years."

[wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AreAA-LT6bY

As of today, I'm learing Julie Miller's "By Way of Sorrow," as covered here by Lucy Kaplansky, Dar Williams and Richard Shindell (from 1999, when they called themselves for a brief time Cry, Cry, Cry)

It's got a-holt of me this day, that's for sure...which means I will have to work it up as my own.

[wink]

Anne, that's a really nice tune that I hadn't heard before.

I'm in a blues period and I started yesterday to study "Away down in the Alley Blues" by Lonnie Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjbC2QrnKNQ

Boy that sure looks like Jamie Foxx on the upright. I was surprised to see these guys playing the blues with Martin's. I don't know why, just seems odd. I would have expected Gibson's.

Tennessee Waltz ( lyrics by Redd Stewart and music by Pee Wee King written in 1946)

For a moment there, I thought you were suggesting that Rod Stewart had written the Tennessee Waltz!

I'm supposed to be working up the 'Big Rock Candy Mountain' to duet with the missus on her new mandolin. Also hybrid flat-picked/strummed versions of 'I'll Fly Away' and 'Wildwood Flower' in G to the same end. (I usually fingerpick them in C.) But actually I've found myself sneakily learning 'Wide River to Cross' by Julie Miller's other half. Sometimes it's really nice to make the Woody open up by going at it with a good hard strum. I see Buddy uses a Southern Jumbo sometimes too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QmdzqJ_K9E

For a moment there, I thought you were suggesting that Rod Stewart had written the Tennessee Waltz!

I'm supposed to be working up the 'Big Rock Candy Mountain' to duet with the missus on her new mandolin. Also hybrid flat-picked/strummed versions of 'I'll Fly Away' and 'Wildwood Flower' in G to the same end. (I usually fingerpick them in C.) But actually I've found myself sneakily learning 'Wide River to Cross' by Julie Miller's other half. Sometimes it's really nice to make the Woody open up by going at it with a good hard strum. I see Buddy uses a Southern Jumbo sometimes too:

What a great song! Huge Buddy M fan here. Have not heard that one, but it is now on my 'todo' list!

RRod

Boy that sure looks like Jamie Foxx on the upright. I was surprised to see these guys playing the blues with Martin's. I don't know why, just seems odd. I would have expected Gibson's.

R&R...From the moment, I first read a post from you, I could recognise your Martin-leaning tendency. You may not be a 'bluesman' but I am surprised at your surprise! We are an "equal opportunity Forum" . It is quite possible, however, that the recording was done with a Gibson despite the pictorial of Jamie Foxx and the Martians... [glare]

Just finished Folsom prison and It's alright Ma (still can't sing it from memory though) and started needle and the damage done about a week ago. I've also been playing with a finger picking version of Hallelujah (using the Jeff Buckley version as a base).

I've got a few in the hopper: Cave by Mumford & Sons, Please Please Baby by Dwight Yoakam, and trying to work up a guitar part to the (modern) hymn Here is Love Vast as the Ocean. I play at church and am trying to avoid playing so many first position chords, since there's another guitarist who plays those predominantly.

One of my favs!! Buddy is the best player in town(in my opinion). I've been trying to steal his licks for years..... and have failed miserably. [blush]

[wink]

Anne, really nice song. I'm sure it will sound great w/your J100

R&R...From the moment, I first read a post from you, I could recognise your Martin-leaning tendency. You may not be a 'bluesman' but I am surprised at your surprise! We are an "equal opportunity Forum" . It is quite possible, however, that the recording was done with a Gibson despite the pictorial of Jamie Foxx and the Martians... [glare]

I apologize if I was misunderstood, I was simply making an observation. Like most of us, when I see a photo of a band, young or old, I'm looking at the guitars! It's been my limited experience (or perhaps just my perception) that R&B and Blues groups of that period often use Gibson guitars. I don't have any "leaning tendencies" except fine instruments ..... regardless of who made them. I have seven Gibson's and two Epiphones but I also have a bunch of Fender's, PRS, Rickenbacker and yes, several Martin's. The last guitar I added was a Gibson J-180 EB and my next guitar will most probably be a J-200. I appreciate that this is an "equal opportunity Forum" and in one of my first posts I thanked the board for allowing me to share images of my non-Gibson guitars.

Foxx2.jpg

[wink]

Good stuff Anne!!! [thumbup]

Archived