Gibson Brands Forums

New Music Room

EuroAussie

Well we finally made the big move to a new, larger, spankier apartment.

The place is great in itself, lost of light, lots of great energy, but the real highlight, at least for me is the new music room !

Its actually the first time Ive ever had a music room and to be honest I dont remember being so excited since I was a teenager.

Its still in a work in prgoress, the guitars will be hung up on the right wall to clear the space, the keyboard will be replaced by a piano for Mrs EA.

The great thing is that it also adds up us my home office .... and movie room !

Here's a couple pics by day and one from last night with one of my fave music DVD's running..

Happy Chappy [rolleyes]

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

Nice mate!! A real ManCave at last!!!

On a seperate note,..hows that Aaron Lewis? Is it really like a '52 spec SJ? I'm not crazy on the faded inlays,..are they "Greenish" looking to you?

As I can't afford a '50's SJ I was thinking it may be a posibility....

[confused]

Thak you, man cave indeed, and I aint coming up for air .. :-)

The AL SJ is phenomenal, and is my favourite Gibby in the stable. It has a very open tone, not as nasaly as a J-45 standard, light as a feeather and after 12 months is opening up further and mellowing out in a great way. It is light as a feather so I believe it is based on his 51' SJ. Its an absolute ripper tone, not to mention one heluva lookeer.

Nice mate!! A real ManCave at last!!!

On a seperate note,..hows that Aaron Lewis? Is it really like a '52 spec SJ? I'm not crazy on the faded inlays,..are they "Greenish" looking to you?

As I can't afford a '50's SJ I was thinking it may be a posibility....

[confused]

That's great...a room where you can toss all your music stuff in the corse of a day makes life a lot easier, and makes the work of making music a lot more efficient.

But mostly, I am glad things seem to be going so well for you and the Mrs.

Don't forget to come out into the rest of the house every now and again.

Thak you, man cave indeed, and I aint coming up for air .. :-)

The AL SJ is phenomenal, and is my favourite Gibby in the stable. It has a very open tone, not as nasaly as a J-45 standard, light as a feeather and after 12 months is opening up further and mellowing out in a great way. It is light as a feather so I believe it is based on his 51' SJ. Its an absolute ripper tone, not to mention one heluva lookeer.

Thanks for your thoughts EA....as always much appreciated... [smile]

How much did you pay for yours? I'm looking at a used one for £1,500, but I think I can get that down a bit. Does she reallylook vintage? Has the ageing been done well? I looked at a TV last week with a really plastiky lookin' binding on the fretboard...was nice with light bracing and open sounding but overall Iwasn't impressed... Whats the neck profile like?

[confused]

I paid around 1850 Euro as I also have a 5% discount card from the shop. She does look vintage, love the inlays, the only thing I hated bout her were the white new tuners and the AL truss rod cover. I replaced the AL truss rod cover with a black one and took the butter beans off the 69' CW and put them on the SJ which gave her 100% vintage look. Here's a pic, as you can see this SJ is also a babe magnet .. ;-)

SJ.jpg

Jamalucka2.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts EA....as always much appreciated... [smile]

How much did you pay for yours? I'm looking at a used one for £1,500, but I think I can get that down a bit. Does she reallylook vintage? Has the ageing been done well? I looked at a TV last week with a really plastiky lookin' binding on the fretboard...was nice with light bracing and open sounding but overall Iwasn't impressed... Whats the neck profile like?

[confused]

I paid around 1850 Euro as I also have a 5% discount card from the shop. She does look vintage, love the inlays, the only thing I hated bout her were the white new tuners and the AL truss rod cover. I replaced the AL truss rod cover with a black one and took the butter beans off the 69' CW and put them on the SJ which gave her 100% vintage look. Here's a pic, as you can see this SJ is also a babe magnet .. ;-)

Sweet I'm going to have a look at it. What do you feel afair price is for a used model? They run £1,999 new over hear in the UK....

Also,..how does the neck profile compare to your CW?

I much more prefer the neck profile on the SJ. It is firstly 1 3/4 as opposed o 1 11/16 on the Bird, and also Im not really to speed with the technical neck profile terms (modified V etc .?) but it is a bit more rounder than the pencil think neck of the Bird. To me the SJ has the best overall neck out of all the Gibsons, followed by the J-150.

No idea what would be the used price, but I know this is an already great sounding guitar that will just grow and grow with age.

Sweet I'm going to have a look at it. What do you feel afair price is for a used model? They run £1,999 new over hear in the UK....

Also,..how does the neck profile compare to your CW?

We have the entire top floor Nick, one of the reasons why we took this apartment, so no neighbour 'issues'. And also I was utterly amazed how soundproof this room is. Right next room is the future baby room and at moderate volume stuff like Clapton unplugged which I was playing was literally silent. Maybe I wont have to play just fingerstyle when the little one one day arrives. Electics, hmm, thats another story, but who plays electrics here .. ? ;-) I think the Les Paul will continue to gather dust unless for some blues licks here and there.

Thanks again for the kind words guys, Im really stoked with this room and the room himidifier is working a treat, after 3 hours I had to switch it off as it already got to 55% !

There's nothing like a space of your own, no matter how humble.

Your new space is really, really nice EA. Do you have neighbors, and if so, is it soundproof enough to play with amps?

Actually I havent plugged in yet BK, kinda courious myself. The guitars and amps were the first pieces of 'furniture' I brought up to the apartment as I didnt wnat the removilists touching them. So I had a play in the room completely empty. The reverb was overwhelming, it was literally playing plugged in with reverb on. Up side was that when singing you knew straight away if you hit a dud note as you could hear it bouncing back automatically. Now that its furnished and with carpet its a much more balanced tone, still some reverb but mild, has good karmat this room and whole apartment.

Ill report back when having a run plugged in, glad you like it !

Very nice EA . . . congrats. . B)

Curious - the hard surfaces have to be great for unplugged playing, but how's the acoustics when you're playing amped?

Actually I know exactly where youre coming from and under normal circustmances i wouldn't let anyone i didnt know within 3 feet of the Gibbys. But this lady is actually the bar manager of the place we play regularly, I know her well, so I let her have a quick 'photo' moment with the other lady. She's OK.

You're a braver man than I EuroAussie, letting an amateur handle your Gibson? I can see your motivation, she is purtty and all, but it's your Gibson for crimany sake! [scared]

Actually I know exactly where youre coming from and under normal circustmances i wouldn't let anyone i didnt know within 3 feet of the Gibbys. But this lady is actually the bar manager of the place we play regularly, I know her well, so I let her have a quick 'photo' moment with the other lady. She's OK.

Gotta luv those Czech girls!!!!

[love]

Awesome music room, as I look for a house in the next few months a room to set up with guitars is a must!

Just curious though I read that the Aaron Lewis is a 1.725 nut width just like most Gibson's is yours something different? Thanks. Love the room love the guitars.

Thank you very much, looking forward to hiding in my man cave over the winter. And youre right the AL SJ is 1.725, i just wrote 1 3/4 as its oh so close to 1 3/4.

And Scotto, the projector is a must, had one for years, ever since the Playstation days, great for those winter evenings in and catching a flick on the big screen :-)

cheers !

Awesome music room, as I look for a house in the next few months a room to set up with guitars is a must!

Just curious though I read that the Aaron Lewis is a 1.725 nut width just like most Gibson's is yours something different? Thanks. Love the room love the guitars.

Archived