Gibson Brands Forums

Insanity, may have overtaken me???

charlie brown

Well, as many of you know, I have a fair amount of Gibson Les Paul's.

Not as many, as some folks here, but "enough!"

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0044-1.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

Still...what do I play, as often as not...my Telecaster(s)!

Along with the Ric 12-string...which always gets played,

regardless of which 6-string I'm favoring, at the time.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0242-1.jpg

MyRickenbackers001.jpg

And, oddly enough, the LP I play the most, right now, is my '60's Tribute Gold

Top P-90!

DSC_0029-1.jpg

I hope this is just a "phase," and I will get back to the other's,

eventually? [blush]

Do you all do this? Makes me wonder "why" I have all these other guitars???!

Maybe "less" really is "More?!" Maybe I've (finally) snapped my cap? Who knows?

Problem (if you can call it that) is...I don't want to sell/trade ANY of them.

They're all paid for, and, I've had many of them, for decades, etc. Just seems a

bit strange, to me, that I keep going back to the Tele and Tribute LP. I really

LOVE the other's, as much. Maybe, they're just "too pretty" to play?!! LOL [tongue][biggrin]

Maybe I should just buy "used," and or the less expensive Gibby's, from

now on???

Excuse me, while I go have a nervous breakdown, now. [blush][crying][unsure]

CB

if it makes you feel any better, I may have been bitten by the LP bug. I WANT THEM ALL! up until now, I've only ever owned one guitar at a time, but ever since my mother gave me my grandfathers old '41 Gibson J-35 acoustic, I've been obsessed with Gibbies and guitars in general. We can ride the crazy bus together, my friend.

Less is more, but choose wisely.

I would keep 1 dc lp w p90s

Goldtop 60s tribute p 90

The lp on the lt, looks like a 60ri or r8(keeper)

The lp deluxe w mini hbs (keeper)

Both teles(keeper)

1 Rick, I'm not a huge fan. The other 2 can go to the

Chopping block

With the cash, maybe get another amp,

Boutique, or highend Marshall, two rock(superb sounding

amp IMHO, my buddy has one)

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're all great,

But the op may want to weed out the herd.

I did that, I sold most of my gear and guitars,

But ended up with 3 only,

1 hr62 stratocaster ,1 57hr stratocaster, and a gib lp 50s,

Tribute humbuckers. an egnater tweaker 40

But I'm still working on my high end amp, looking for something, point to point

You like to collect LPs. There's nothing wrong with that. And that's a great group of Rics you've got there.

I always tried to keep a wider ranging stable. A few years ago I was going down the path you're on. I decided to try and pick just one of any type. So I sold off a few and went with the new plan. But I do find LPs very temping. I could've easily bought two or three more over the last couple years as Gibson has put out some very cool LPs. Somehow I've stuck to my plan . . . but it hasn't been easy.

Yeah...but, aside from the black and red "LP Junior lite's," all the other's are

different models, of "Les Paul," with slightly different tones, and feel. I too,

have other brands, and models, none of which are duplicated. The two (similar)

Ric 12-strings, are only similar in body shape. They're actually 2 different

models. And, believe it or not, they DO sound a bit different. Not sure, if that's

pickup placement differences, or what the deal is, there.

Sounds like I'm "justifying," doesn't it?! LOL But, I'm not, really. Don't feel

the need to. It's just kind of "odd," now...that, at this particular time, I seem

to be focused on the Telecaster(s), and LP Tribute, more...for some reason?

I have NO idea, "why?" Anyway...it's a nice "problem" to have! [biggrin]

I guess, I just wanted to see how many other's of "us," have similar

experiences, and if there was any "real" reason, for those choices,

at that time? Maybe, it's just a "slow day," here? LOL [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Yeah...but, aside from the black and red "LP Junior lite's," all the other's are different models, of "Les Paul," .... Sounds like I'm "justifying," doesn't it?! ....

Yes, I've been there, lots of models. But now, when I say one of any type, I mean one LP (no model distinctions), one SG (no model distinctions). I'm pretty much there, except for LPs I've got a Gibson LP and one Epiphone LP. . B)

Yes, I've been there, lots of models. But now, when I say one of any type, I mean one LP (no model distinctions), one SG (no model distinctions). I'm pretty much there, except for LPs I've got a Gibson LP and one Epiphone LP. . B)

Gotcha! Well, in that regard, I have a ways to go, no doubt! [tongue][biggrin]

I suppose it will take a time, when it feels/seems "Right" to

unload, a bunch. I'm just not at that point, yet, I guess?

To many (good) memories, associated with a lot of my guitars.

And, all the money I had to earn, to buy them, etc. Maybe

(probably), I'm just toooo "sentimental" [blush][unsure] about such things?

Who knows?!

CB

My Tele gets grabbed the most also. I think because it's small, light, easy to grab and fun to play. I wouldn't worry about that a bit. Everyone knows, there's just something about a Tele. I share your concern about why own guitars that don't get played. I'm thinking of a second LP that will be totally different from the one I have now, but I'm still making myself justify buying it. As it is, my Strat has been getting neglected lately, so I took it to jam night Friday to make up for it. I guess I'm not a hoarder.

But, a 6 string Ric will be the one guitar that I buy some day, regardless of whether I need it or not. If it just sits in the corner so I look at it, that will be justification enough.

Well, in my case, this is a fairly "recent" thing. I've always been pretty good,

about rotating my guitars, even if only playing here, in the house. I do tend to

have those that I use more, "playing out," than others. Some of that is precautionary,

based on previous experiences, over the years. But, still...I used to rotate them

more often. Now, for some odd reason, not as much. But, it may be just a "phase,"

and could change, at any time.

I do agree, that "Tele's" do have that "special" sound/feel, and can cover a LOT

of ground, tone wise. So..???

CB

No your not alone.. I too have been totally bitten by the bug.. I had one guitar for most of the time, it was about three years ago when I got a bit fed up of the weight of my main LP when I wanted to muck around, so I went on the hunt for a new lighter guitar..

I had a Mexcian Deleux Strat for about a year but never really got on with it, then I found out about the LP Double Cut Faded, was about the price I wanted to spend and was light.. And wow they are such great guitars arnt they... It was that event that opened the flood gates for me as before that I never really considered having more than one Gibson... Now I have five (was 7 but I sold two recently), which I know is not as many as most on here, but still I also get that feeling of sadness for the ones that dont get played as much for what ever reason. But they are all out on stands in my living room so when im not playng them I get just as much pleasure looking at them.

And I also have a LP Tribute 60s Goldtop and its one of my favs now.. Because I think of the lightness and the fact that it still sounds and feels every bit a Les Paul as any I have played.

There was also an element for me that once I became more knoweldgable about Gibsons and the different styles and bridges and looks I was hunting for that "Perfect" guitar for me, even though I love them all... Each one brings me something different though and the more you find out about the different types the more you want... like you say I almost feel like im having to justify that in some way.... haha.. the way i see is it that there are worse things you can spend your money on... we all have to have somethinig to be passionate about...

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

I try very hard not to duplicate guitar model as far as possible

But appreciate how differently they can be equipped/set-up etc

I have 2 S/C and 2 D/C hand-made LP Junior copies with single/double P90/HB configurations

Making for interesting options...with similar ergonomics...

And 3 Teles...1,2 and 3 P/U varieties...totally different each

Insanity is all relative.... [blink]

V

:-({|=

Ahhhh, now I feel better...thanks, Guys! [thumbup] LOL [biggrin]

Interesting suggestions, too. I think I'll go play my Telecaster,

and Tribute Gold Top, now. LOL

CB

You have some fantastic guitars, CB and I hope you can get back to your rotation system but, if you find you can't, maybe you are better letting some go. It would be a crime for them not to get played, wouldn't it? I must say I'm really surprised about your new goldtop custom production model. I seem to remember you got rid of 5 guits to buy it (no problem with that) and you loved it when you tried it and first got it.

From my perspective there are four of my seven guits that I currently play more: LP Tribute Humbucker, SG Special Faded, Ibanez RG1570 and Charvel USA Pro San Dimas. All four are fantastic quality guitars: stripped down versions in their own way but with all the great feel, woods and components of their more expensive production counterparts. Two Epi LPs made way for my LP Tribute and my Ibby and I don't regret that decision at all.

Since I bought the Ibanez, in particular, my cheap and cheerful Indo-made Kramer Pacer now gets less time. However, I still want to keep it at the moment because it is a lot of fun to play and I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. My old Yamaha SE350 is a lovely superstrat with a dream neck but it is in need of a fret dress which I haven't got round to taking it for yet. That guitar too could go anywhere. In fact, I'd take that one on a tour of Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and Syria- it would deflect an IED, I think. The Wildkat is a highly versatile head turner that does things my others can't- hence I've no desire to sell it at present. Ordinarily I don't play it quite as much as the others because I'm more of a rock/metal guy. However, at the moment, it needs a new switchcraft switch and fresh strings meaning it's getting very little playing time.

Do you, perhaps, worry about fret wear? I used to and my cheaper guits got more time because of it. However, since I saw a tech in a good store near to me completing a fret dress I've started playing my 'better' four guits a lot more. What's more their lack of binding would mean a much cheaper re-fret even further down the line.

If you're not worried about fret wear, maybe the next step up for you would be the custom shop......

You have some fantastic guitars, CB and I hope you can get back to your rotation system but, if you find you can't, maybe you are better letting some go. It would be a crime for them not to get played, wouldn't it? I must say I'm really surprised about your new goldtop custom production model. I seem to remember you got rid of 5 guits to buy it (no problem with that) and you loved it when you tried it and first got it.

From my perspective there are four of my seven guits that I currently play more: LP Tribute Humbucker, SG Special Faded, Ibanez RG1570 and Charvel USA Pro San Dimas. All four are fantastic quality guitars: stripped down versions in their own way but with all the great feel, woods and components of their more expensive production counterparts. Two Epi LPs made way for my LP Tribute and my Ibby and I don't regret that decision at all.

Since I bought the Ibanez, in particular, my cheap and cheerful Indo-made Kramer Pacer now gets less time. However, I still want to keep it at the moment because it is a lot of fun to play and I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. My old Yamaha SE350 is a lovely superstrat with a dream neck but it is in need of a fret dress which I haven't got round to taking it for yet. That guitar too could go anywhere. In fact, I'd take that one on a tour of Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and Syria- it would deflect an IED, I think. The Wildkat is a highly versatile head turner that does things my others can't- hence I've no desire to sell it at present. Ordinarily I don't play it quite as much as the others because I'm more of a rock/metal guy. However, at the moment, it needs a new switchcraft switch and fresh strings meaning it's getting very little playing time.

Do you, perhaps, worry about fret wear? I used to and my cheaper guits got more time because of it. However, since I saw a tech in a good store near to me completing a fret dress I've started playing my 'better' four guits a lot more. What's more their lack of binding would mean a much cheaper re-fret even further down the line.

If you're not worried about fret wear, maybe the next step up for you would be the custom shop......

Thanks, Alan...

Yeah, I don't know that there's any "logic" going on, with my "situation," now...at all???

Seems almost illogical, if anything. [unsure][tongue] But, as with most situations...

"This too, shall pass!" [biggrin]

CB

Sell a few and buy a historic. Since you're a P-90s guy, get a good R4 or R6. Seriously!!

Do you have any more Teles or "just" two? They are great guitars, no doubt. I love mine. Play it all the time.

Hey CB,

I think R9 is correct and believe it would be just what the doctor ordered! [thumbup] My wife doesn't really understand why I bought two LP's in 6 months and am already thinking of my next guitar - perhaps a Tele! [laugh] .. she wonders why one isn't enough and how I am ever to find the time to play them all. My array of little beauties isn't even close to yours and many others here but I am just grateful that I have a passion for something.

Allot of people don't have any particular interests or hobbies and that really has to be bummer.

Well, I will go back to rotating, what I play. That alone, may solve my "problem?"

I just cased up, the Tribute. The Tele will stay out, but...I'll grab one of my

other "Gibby's," now...and, "we'll see?!" :rolleyes:[biggrin]

You know what? I think I "think too much" (even my dear Mother, used to tell me that,

even as a kid [tongue] ), and this kind of thing, seems to happen most often, when I'm

not playing out, much. That's the case, at the moment, for various reasons. Hopefully,

when we do start playing out, more often, I won't have time, nor inclination, to drive

myself nuts, over this stuff? [tongue] LOL [biggrin]

Thanks, as always, for the input, and suggestions. Love seeing your guitars, as well...anytime, for any reason!

CB

Archived