Gibson Brands Forums

How to put Schaller straplocks on '59 Les Paul?

strattwin

Hi all! I hate how straplocks look, but don't want to chance this beauty goin' down at gig, can you assist with how to install? Does Gibson offer a lock which doesn't require the goofy toothpick with Elmer's glue deal? You'd think Gibson would sell a lock with same width screw, but just longer so you don't have to alter such a beautiful guitar. Thanks for your help!

IMG_1799.jpg

I use Dunlop strap locks or Planet Waves straps with the integrated stap lock system (no need to change the original guitar hardware with the Planet Waves set up). Dunlops work great but probably will not be able to put the original gibson hardware back on as the Dunlop screws are a bit bigger.

I use Dunlop strap locks or Planet Waves straps with the integrated stap lock system (no need to change the original guitar hardware with the Planet Waves set up). Dunlops work great but probably will not be able to put the original gibson hardware back on as the Dunlop screws are a bit bigger.

Thanks Renegade! I'm going to look into planet waves straps. Do you think they're secure enough for my Gibby?

Renegade, some reviews ding the Planet Wave straps for having an oversize lock attachment on the strap which can mar the wood on the guitar. I'll be using the strap on a '59 Les Paul. Any thoughts?

Have not read the reviews but I use one on a VOS R8 and R9 with out issue. Using one of these on a guitar with one of the strap pins on the back (SG, Explorer, etc) might mar the finish but dont know for sure as I have not tried it on one of those.

Have not read the reviews but I use one on a VOS R8 and R9 with out issue. Using one of these on a guitar with one of the strap pins on the back (SG, Explorer, etc) might mar the finish but dont know for sure as I have not tried it on one of those.

Thanks for the reply renegade...makes lots of sense. Appreciate your info. Jam on!

I have them installed on most of my guitars and the only one that needed any modification was my R0. I used the original screw but drilled out the opening of the strap lock end pin just enough so the screw head is completely countersunk. Maybe a 5 minute job on a drill press. Rock solid.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just put Dunlop strap locks on a guitar and used the screws from the stock strap buttons. No need to enlarge the holes. I was surprised. Every other time I've put a set on a guitar I've used the Dunlop screws. Had I only known, I would have saved a lot of grief.

Archived