Gibson Brands Forums

Vaccum recommendations

dem00n

The ones they sell at your everyday consumer places are crap and overpriced compared to what you could get going to a cleaning supply place. Or even a vacuum place.

Try and find you a supplier of janitorial supplies or commercial cleaning supplies. I think you would be surprised at how much better the vacuums are and how cheap they may be. (not cheap, but still well below the fanciest ones you see at department stores and home depot).

Also, I don't do it, but my boss sometimes looks on craigslist and gets some really old, GOOD industrial vacuums for cheap.

But also, we have a vacuum store/chain called STARK'S here. You probably have something similar. It would be handy to know of or be aware in case you need parts, like belts and bags and such.

Just stay away from Dyson's. I used to work for Sears while in college and send all defective merchandise back to the vendors. As far as vacuums go, Dyson's were frequently returned. And yes, products were tested to ensure they were actually defective (if they were not defective, we sold them starting at 30% off).

I recommend the Oreck XL also. It's similar to a commercial carpet vac. It's a bag type and has better filtration efficiency than a bagless type. The filter is the bag itself, so the filter is very large and gets replaced everytime you change the bag. Good for animals or if you shed a lot of hair and dander. [biggrin]

Skip the DustBuster® on a stick. You're wasting your time on carpet.

Get an upright with a beater bar and the ability to pull out a hose to get the cobwebs in the corner. It stores in the smallest footprint. I, personally, don't like the canisters towed by the hose.

Failing that, hire a maid or... get married.

[laugh]

After my Grandma passed away we went out to her farmhouse to clean it up and put the farm up for sale. I took a old Kirby upright vacuum cleaner home that originally had been purchased in the '50's-This appliance still works great and looks cool,all that polished aluminum and stuff. Out of an era when "Made In America" really meant something. This appliance is built like a freight train and still works great 60 years later

Yeah i know weird thing to ask on a forum, right? But the one we have craped out a few days ago its time to buy a new one, so any recommendation? [biggrin] [biggrin]

Simple powerful carpet cleeaning, thats it.

I just bought a Electrolux from Costco....totally suck out of the box.

The ones they sell at your everyday consumer places are crap and overpriced compared to what you could get going to a cleaning supply place. Or even a vacuum place.

Try and find you a supplier of janitorial supplies or commercial cleaning supplies. I think you would be surprised at how much better the vacuums are and how cheap they may be. (not cheap, but still well below the fanciest ones you see at department stores and home depot).

Also, I don't do it, but my boss sometimes looks on craigslist and gets some really old, GOOD industrial vacuums for cheap.

But also, we have a vacuum store/chain called STARK'S here. You probably have something similar. It would be handy to know of or be aware in case you need parts, like belts and bags and such.

Thanks, i'll check out a nearby cleaning supply place!

After spending hundreds for vacuum cleaners that pack it in after 3-5 years,we bought a 12 amp Dirt Devil bagless upright Featherlite model that was on sale for about $60 and it is about the best vacuum that we've had, even better than machines that cost up to $600.To spend so little for a quality machine you don't mind if it just lasts a year but this one is on its 3rd year and still going strong.

Archived