Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Leamons

tominator

Thanks everyone for your input on the ebay guitar I posted, still debating on that one. However in my quest to become armed with knowledge before I commit to buy I wanted to throw out another question. Looking over several forums it looks like some people are of the opinion that there are some "gasp" bad sounding 3-5k Gibsons out there, and places like GC and MF seem to be their favored congregation places. I've played several LPs at a local mom an pop store, which I now refuse to patronize after they messed me over on an amp, as well as the local GC and I can't say that I've ever played any that sounded bad. So I just wanted to see what you guys think.

Does Gibson send out bad sounding, sub par, guitars?

I think it comes down to a matter of taste. What one person might consider to be a great, another might think it's not so hot. One thing is for certain and that is that pieces of wood vary and are going to sound a bit different from each other so that's why you really want to play a guitar before buying it. This is true whether buying Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez or any other guitar made out of wood.

I think it is rare to get a really bad sounding or sub-par Les Paul. Though it happens. But you could end up with just an average sounding Gibson if you buy sight unseen. Some people will go through 10 or 20 LPs before they settle on one that sounds right to them.

I bought mine sight unseen and ended up with a great looking and sounding guitar. But I am not sure I would do it again.

the answer is yes. but tone is subjective, the matter is moot. i have played many USA gibsons that i didnt like and a few Custom Shop one i didnt like. does that mean you would like them? who knows? personally, i dont care much for chambered guitars, but obviously many people do.

as for issues such as finish flaws, etc....it does happen. i am personally of the opinion that a lot of people are just waaaaaay demanding. there will be variation with manmade products. however, i have seen some that really were ridiculous.

I'm thinking that a so called "bad sounding" guitar is more in the ears of the player. I've played several Gibsons that have a sound I don't like. Not that I'd really call them bad sounding but more like not the sound I'm looking for. Its impossable for every Les Paul to come off the line and sound the same. Differences in the wood from one tree to the next can change tone. This is most easily seen in acoustics. Some tops are lighter or darker than others, same with fretboards, etc.

If the guitar is used that adds a whole new set of problems, has it ever been modified or repaired? How well was it taken care of? etc.

Archived