Gibson Brands Forums

Heritage 80 question

Dorrus

Hi Guys

I own a Gibson VOS R9 les Paul and a 1979 25/50 anniversary.

The 59 sound is warmer and has a wider usable soundrange, but I do prefer

the huge fat thick sound of the 25/50 les Paul anniversary.

Back in 1980 I owned a 1970 les paul custom , which I sold afther hearing a

Heritage '80 standard .

This Heritage standard whas way better than my Les Paul custom.

Now its 2008 and I dont see these heritage standards ( or elite's ) much anymore.

Are these Heritage series perhaps better then a 59 er Custom shop R9, or is it just my memory that's bothering me?

The R9 is allright, and the Burstbuckers are O.K. but they don't sound as Fat

and thick as the Tim shaw Pafs that came with the Heritage guitars.

Perhaps the R9 is a perfect reissue, and maybe the R9 is a better 59 reisue

than the heritage '80 series were, but could it be that the heritage 80 les pauls sound father than the R9's ?

They dont show up on Ebay often, but when they do they ask a lot of money for them in the Netherlands.

The price for a used (mint ) R9 is allmost the same as the price they ask for a

mint Heritage Elite les Paul.( in Holland )

Does this make sense?

Hi Dorrus,

I too had a real flamey Heritage '80, and although it was a GREAT guitar - I sold it and put the money towards one of my Historic re-issues. Do I miss it..? - only sometimes for sentimental reasons, but for sound and playability - NO.

I did love the '80, and yes, the Shaw PAFs were great, but it weighed an absolute ton. My Historics only weigh 8.2 Lbs and 8.6 Lbs. They are in my opinion better sounding guitars too. Any slight differences in sound you can counter for in your playing I feel... playing nearer the neck, playing nearer the bridge, etc. Also, if you don't like the pick-ups - switch them for some Wolfetones or other such PAF clone. There are some wonderful p/ups out there for Les Pauls.

Historics can vary greatly too - and the only surefire way of choosing up that says' I'm your's' is to simply play as many as possible before buying. Try before you buy.

IMO, the Historics are fabulous guitars, and when you find a good one you should hang onto it. One of mine is a 'keeper' which I am leaving unaltered and stock (1997 1959 'R9' insane monstertop - collectors piece), the other is my gigging guitar (2003 brazilian 'R0' 1960). Again, entirely different guitars to play, in feel and sound, but each is fantastic!

I hope this helps... (?)

flameburst.

My 1997 'R9'

2050767420091314673S600x600Q85.jpg

My 2003 'R0' Certified Brazilian

2536373390091314673S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi Flameburst

Thanks for the answer.

Do you know what the prices are in the USA?

In the netherlands the prices for a ( mint ) Heritage elite 80 les paul is allmost the same as the prices for a

used mint 59 custom shop reissue.

Does that make sense?

And is there much difference in sound and vallue between a 'Standard' or 'elite' heritage Series version?

Greatings

Dorrus

Hello Dorrus,

I am sure that a 'good' Heritage '80 in near mint condition would command £2K-£2.5K to the right buyer.

The one I sold last year I sold for only £1250, because it was a 'players' guitar with a repaired headstock break, and it was gigged and loved quite madly. It did have a lovely top on it though.

www.realvintage.it/list.html have a really nice one for sale too. Worth having a look - it's one of the nicest ones I've seen. It's a Standard Heritage '80, but looks every bit the part. I think there were slightly more Standard models made than the Elite. As far as playability and sound I shouldn't think there's a lot of difference.

Prices of any Les Paul (particularly good ones/ones with amazing flametops/light ones/mint ones, etc - will always command a good but not necessarily player-friendly price tag. Again, it's a buyers market. People will pay what it's worth to 'them'.

One man's ideal of the perfect Les Paul is different from another's.

It sounds like you are after a nice Heritage '80. Check out the one on www.realvintage.it/list.html and see if you like the look of it. After all, they were the 'first' real attempt at a semi-accurate re-issue 'burst... and though not as vintage correct as the current Historics, they certainly hold a place in the hearts of many players and collectors. Personally it's only because of the weight issue (ie: they're just too damn heavy) that I don't hanker after another one. They are great guitars though!

Hi Flameburst

Thanks for the answer.

Do you know what the prices are in the USA?

In the netherlands the prices for a ( mint ) Heritage elite 80 les paul is allmost the same as the prices for a

used mint 59 custom shop reissue.

Does that make sense?

And is there much difference in sound and vallue between a 'Standard' or 'elite' heritage Series version?

Greatings

Dorrus

Archived