Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning/Sealing Nitro Finish ES-335

bluezguy

Aside from the common maintenance cleaners, what high-end products are out there to preserve our stuff?

I sweat like a sopping sponge when I play, rehearse, eat, fart, write etc.

Has anybody used 3m's Finesse-It II? They do use it on show car finishes.

Carnuba wax is also used a lot on woods ... I just don't hear about stuff like that being applied to wooden instruments.

What about our fretboards? Over 40 years I've been using the usual Gibson, Fender, Maguire's products for rosewood fret boards. Has any new 'super solution' come about recently or is it the good ol' standard stuff??

Aside from the common maintenance cleaners, what high-end products are out there to preserve our stuff?

I sweat like a sopping sponge when I play, rehearse, eat, fart, write etc.

Has anybody used 3m's Finesse-It II? They do use it on show car finishes.

Carnuba wax is also used a lot on woods ... I just don't hear about stuff like that being applied to wooden instruments.

What about our fretboards? Over 40 years I've been using the usual Gibson, Fender, Maguire's products for rosewood fret boards. Has any new 'super solution' come about recently or is it the good ol' standard stuff??

If you look under the gibson home sight their is a section care and handling!they recommend using (gibson pump polish) works superbly on nitro finishes ! it'll take a dull finish and make it look like new! [thumbup] =================================================================

Never use a wax on the body...use a good cleaner that's meant for fine furniture or autos etc but no wax....wax on anything is evil!!. On the fretboard there are a lot of good "conditioners" out there but you want one that won't leave a greasy feel.......One thing to keep in mind, if you play outside in the summertime (outdoor gigs etc) you may want to consider a conditioner that has UV protectors in it..sunshine can kill wood very quickly.One Day here or there won't do much but if you have one fav guitar you use often then consider it.

I use Virtuoso Guitar Polish

This stuff is wicked awesome. Gives it a really deep shine and gloss. A tad bit on the expensive side of polish/cleaners but the results make that extra couple bucks worth it.

Have no clue what to use on a fretboard, still looking for different products..

I use Guitar Honey on my fretboards, my local luthier/builder swears by it.

Hard to preserve a finish forever. Wiping the guitar down and polishing it frequently is the best way to take care of it. I have also heard Virtuoso polish os good. I have NOT used 3M's Finesse-It products. I use Mequiar's car polish products and swear by them. I only use polish to remove minor scratches, but not as a part of everyday maintenance.

Nitrocellulose is notorius for "blushing" (turning white) when exposed to sweat, and there is nothing short of covering it that will prevent it. Polyester/urethane does not react that way. My recommendation is to allow the finish to dry out and wipe it down with a dry cloth, and use a polish specifically designed for guitars, every so often, with a dry cloth.

Polishes contain resinous polymers, solvents, and often waxes. If it were me, I would only use a polish recommended for guitars, not for cars or even furniture.

Archived