Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Standard Plus Top Honey Burst

SNick

I just purchased one today. OH, WOW. The pickup tone is great. What a great looking LP also. Pictures do not do it justice. I played just about every LP in my local GC, both Epi and Gibby. I just let the guitar pick me when I heard that particular "it tone". You know what I mean, that one tone you've been listening for, hopeing you would find it some day. Thank you Epiphone. Thank you.

Original setup of my guitar.

String gauge from the factory is 10 - 46. Intonation was near perfect with the exception of the D string which may need a slight tweak. That could just be the string itself. I plan on replacing them in a day or two then tweaking the intonation if needed.

Visual Inspection. Fit and finish were near perfect. The volume and tone knobs were all slightly askew. No big deal fixing them.

Neck relief was within factory specs. Mine measured .010 on my feeler gauge.

Action was at factory spec with 3/64 on the high E side and 5/64 on the low E side.

Pickup height. Neck pickup - Base side 3/32, Treble side 2/32. The Bridge pickup - Base side 5/32, Treble side 3/32. All measured from the bottom of the string to the top of the pole piece.

Alnico Classic Pickups Measured within k Ohms spec. Mine are - Neck 8.44 - Bridge 13.54

The only upgrade I made was the installation of a good set of strap locks.

I have had the Alnico Classics before in a 2002 DOT I used to own, but I have never had them sound so good. Has Epiphone started making better pickups? Is it just the combination of the woods and LP style guitar. I really don't know. I do know that in this guitar they sound equal to or better than some Seth Lover PAF's I have had in a 2004 Gibson LP, that I never did get close too. Like I said this guitar picked me. I have had this happen only on 2 other occasions. I still have them, never will part from them.

That's about it. Except for the PICS.......

P2010021.jpg

P2010020.jpg

P2010017.jpg

P2010015.jpg

P2010012.jpg

P2010009.jpg

P2010013.jpg

I have had the Alnico Classics before in a 2002 DOT I used to own, but I have never had them sound so good. Has Epiphone started making better pickups?

I think that is about the size of it SNick. I mentioned in my 345 post (the new 345 / 355 thread) that I purchased an Epi Les Paul standard for my son around 1997 and the pick ups were utter crap. I changed them for seymour duncans. But the Alnico Classics on my new Epi 345 are superb.

I think that is about the size of it SNick. I mentioned in my 345 post (the new 345 / 355 thread) that I purchased an Epi Les Paul standard for my son around 1997 and the pick ups were utter crap. I changed them for seymour duncans. But the Alnico Classics on my new Epi 345 are superb.

That's good to hear, the pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Standard aren't what I would call the greatest.

I recently sold one just like it. I didn't regret it one bit until I just saw your photos. [confused]

You can't deny that they are beautiful looking guitars.

Congrats and welcome

It does have that effect on you.....[biggrin]

Ya me too....eusa_dance.gif

Thank you all. Nice bunch of Honey's to be sure.

I was tempted to get a Cherry Burst at first, then I thought - everyone has that - kind of like Henry Ford saying you can have any color car you want as long as it's black. Besides this one had a lot of great tone going on that the Cherry did not.

If I was in your shoes, I'd have done the same thing and picked the one with the better tone/feel and considered the color afterwards... so long as it wasn't a color I disliked, in which case I wouldn't have picked it up in the first place. Anyhow, I think it's a sweet looking guitar... very unique. It almost has a flamey quilt thing going on, never seen one like it. I like the honeyburst over the cherry as well generally speaking... and in certain light, they kind of take on a faded cherry look. Here's a look at mine again in the sun and in the shade. In the sun it almost looks like a cherryburst. Anyhow, glad you've bonded with your new git... enjoy!

lp2q.jpglp1we.jpg

JamGuy - I like that if you get tired of the color of your guitar you just go outside and POOF - New Color Guitar Day - Lucky.\:D/

Longman That is really nice to look at.

But I want to know from all of you...... How they Play. What are your thoughts.

Archived