Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Standard Plus Top Honey Burst

SNick

I had preferred strats for years...infact, Les Pauls just never did it for me but I found that I kept incorporating more and more LP-like features to my strats... humbuckers, chunkier necks with flatter radii, etc. Then while surfing the bay I found this LP (gutted) and thought, what the heck. I built it up and couldn't be happier. The action is fantastic, and the tone of the thing is awesome. Yeah, it's heavy (compared to my strats) but then I remind myself that Jerry's Rosebud tipped the scales at 13 or 14 pounds, so the LP seems light compared to that. It's a well balanced instrument and the fit and finish seem pretty good... and even stock, I think a lot of people are happy with the hardware, pickups, and electronics. Mine already had some battle scars so the finish of mine wasn't perfect when I got it.

The tone of the thing is to die for... I wired it up pretty standard 50's style with PIO caps, 500k pots, and Duncan 59's. I like the linear taper pots for volume and audio for tone... it's very useable and has a wide range of tones if you don't mind fiddling with knobs more than I'm used to. On my strats, I usually just set everything to 10 and adjust the amp or use a pedal for a boost. I think I need a new nut on mine though... the "A" slot seems a little low and you have to go easy hitting one note on that string or it's frets out slightly...I'm hoping it's not a lifted fret but I think it's the nut.

And you? How are you enjoying that guitar of yours? It sounds like you're pretty stoked on the pickups and so long as all the pots and switches stay quiet I can't imaging you'd need to do any upgrades unless you have cosmetic stuff in mind. I think Epiphone is making some really nice instruments these days... I'm really blown away with them honestly. I don't think it's fair to judge a $500 Epi LP with a $500 Fender...they're different beasts altogether but I think the EPI is a better value in some ways. Anyhow... gotta run for now, cheers.

I have a few Strats. 2 American and a Partsocaster I put together just for me. A Washburn HB35 and A Tradition Telecaster. I have had a Hagstrom Ultra Swede that I recently traded. I just wanted a traditional looking LP - I think I got a bonus with this one. Ya I'm a bit stoked about it. Hmmmm..... more like WOWED..... What can I say.[rolleyes] It really works well with tubes.

I have a few Strats. 2 American and a Partsocaster I put together just for me. A Washburn HB35 and A Tradition Telecaster. I have had a Hagstrom Ultra Swede that I recently traded. I just wanted a traditional looking LP - I think I got a bonus with this one. Ya I'm a bit stoked about it. Hmmmm..... more like WOWED..... What can I say.[rolleyes] It really works well with tubes.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the tubes... my Mustang III is pretty cool, and pretty tubelike but nothing beats the twin!

I have no amps that big. I don't play out. So it's just a Fender Pro Jr., VOX AD4TV 10", and a VOX VT30 for all the little effects and amp simulations. I use a BOSS RV-5 for the tube amps.

The tone of the thing is to die for... I wired it up pretty standard 50's style with PIO caps, 500k pots, and Duncan 59's. I like the linear taper pots for volume and audio for tone... it's very useable and has a wide range of tones if you don't mind fiddling with knobs more than I'm used to.

Nicely done!

Archived