Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Scratches & Dings inevitable?

MrAwesome

I'm upset! [unsure] My first and only Gibson Les Paul custom, My Babe girl just got its first ding!!! It was at school and I was careless and hit a music stand so there is like a ding in the upper back of the head stock. I'm really sad about this! The Imperfection just kills me!! and being OCD does not help! So do dings and scratches happen to your guitars? Is it the fate of all guitar played by musicians? I herd Jimmy Page's Gibson is pretty banged up, and Paul McCartney has a HUGE scratch like mark were the pick guard of his Hofner should be. (The Reason why I use these guys as examples is because there my Rock HEROES/IDOLS!

please share your story's, I need some comfort, I feel like I hurt my Guiita through my carelessness [crying]

You can clearly see them here

McCartney1.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about it. Guitars are meant to be used and, even when we try our best to look after them, stuff will happen over time.

Most people find the first ding is the worst. After that it's "just another one".

I've posted this snap before but here's a patchwork of wounds suffered by my once pristine R0 over the years;

Finishedthing.jpg

P.

IMX there are a couple of aspects to this one

Bearing in mind top level guitars are expensive...

Many auto enthusiasts lurk in these parts

Who does not feel anxiety when their pristine car gets a scratch...usually from some jealous nasty parker

Polishing guitars can become obsessive...and generally detracts from playing enjoyment

So in some respects buying S/H can be a better option....

V

:-({|=

I voted no, only because for sure 1 person somewhere either leave it in the case or enshrine it some way! [rolleyes] I also know that the inevitable will happen. [cursing] the point to be made is learn from your mistakes or others and don't or try not to do the same dumb thing twice ! that sorta resembles how to live life in general. +:-@ if you have a high regard for something use a higher degree of care for it!this will require a little more forthought but pays high dividends in that 30yrs from now it will still be something somebody will desire! [biggrin] I've always been impressed how some can use something for a long time and have it look really nice! :D/

I voted no, only because for sure 1 person somewhere either leave it in the case or enshrine it some way!

Like the collector, aka lawyer or plastic surgeon, that has that Les Paul in a glass case above his desk. Probably signed by Aerosmith or the Don Henley.

I think a guitar, especially if you take it anywhere for a formal "gig" or just to play at a friend's barbecue, is inevitably going to get some dings. Playing with a flatpick almost inevitably will bring scratches, too, if just on a pickguard.

But it's like I tell the local high school athletes: Getting beat up a little is part of growth and builds character and toughness - I just don't want to see damage.

That said, I'm awfully protective of mine.

m

Stuff happens over time. The more you baby it the more it bothers you. I guess I'm relieved I picked up my SG used, it had a couple dings, so instead of having that 'baby it' mentality, I looked it it like its going to be my daily player.. Shrug.. I still take care of it, but yeah. Think of it this way, every ding and mark the guitar has will probably have a story to go with it.

Any guitar that I bought new doesn't have a scratch or ding on it unless it was someone elses doing,I solved that problem by being absolutely obsessive about who touches my guitars.Since I have adopted that policy all my guitars have remained completely blemish free.Although I strum as hard or harder than Pete Townshend I haven't incurred any pick scratches on any of my guitars either. I've seen guys let any old Bozo play with their guitars and that's just asking for trouble because you can be sure they don't care if your $2,000 investment gets scratched up.If you want your guitars to stay in mint or near mint condition don't let anyone else near them and if they get their nose out of joint because you don't let them play it just tell them they are free to play it if they leave a $2,000 deposit in case they damage it.

I don't think it's possible, at least in this climate where I live, for a guitar to be entirely pristine unless it's in a climate-controlled glass box.

My '70s solidbody is still a gorgeous piece, in ways as pretty as when it was packed at the Guild factory. But... There are those spiderweb crackles in the finish from times the -30 weather did its thing, and there's a reminder of why I quit smoking unfiltered Camels at the nut where I'd put the ciggie while pickin'.

<sigh>

Still... most of my '70s acquisitions probably are in better relative condition than I am.

m

No. Happened in high-school - once. Drop to the cement floor once and hit on the edge by the plug-in. That was it.

Must move like one, grasshopper.

Like carrying a violin.

Now, it won't happen if careful and aware of where you are at.

I don't purposely ding my guitars, but most of the dings I get are not noticed at the time.

Not because I am being careless, but there are situations where making music in some ways is going to expose them.

I will admit to having a couch queen, but situations like walking around with your guitar strapped on, which is going to happen whether you are in a practice room with others or playing out, or learning songs, adjusting equipment, etc., is going to expose them to getting a little ding here and there. Such as bumping into a music stand.

I also want to point out something about used guitars and dings: nearly ALL guitars that go on the used market are really, just used guitars. How many actually sell for more or less as the result of having a few dings or not?

Guest farnsbarns

I voted no because it's not "inevitable" but extremely hard to avoid. I've certainly dinged every one I've owned long term, not including my 2 day old R8 but it will happen eventualy. When it does I'll have that feeling of "bugger, I can't believe I did that" but you get over it, especially when you do the second one!

Like the collector, aka lawyer or plastic surgeon, that has that Les Paul in a glass case above his desk. Probably signed by Aerosmith or the Don Henley.

HEY...I'm a lawyer, and my '72 Les Paul has 40 years of scratches, dings, finsh checks and probably some very nasty stuff hidden under the pots.....

Archived