Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Scratches & Dings inevitable?

MrAwesome

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say that I agree with the statement made farther back that you can't be a player and collector.I have a small collection of 30 guitars yet do consider myself a collector.I play all my guitars on a rotation basis and make sure that they all get played. I personally am loathe to the non-playing collectors who put guitars in a vault purely for monetary reasons.I treat all my guitars with kid gloves because Im just a temporary custodian and with proper care a guitar could conceivably last for centuries.That's why I'm fastidious about who I let near any of my instruments.

I've had only one new pristine guitar in my life and that lasted maybe 2 weeks. My angst lasted about 20 seconds because the guitar said: "Don't get all crazy. Ignore it and just play me."

Every guitar I've owned since was used and came with dings already installed. Saved a lot of unnecessary work and stress.

Don't sweat it.

HEY...I'm a lawyer, and my '72 Les Paul has 40 years of scratches, dings, finsh checks and probably some very nasty stuff hidden under the pots.....

A lot of my friends are lawyers so I take back the stereo type, but I think you know the type of lawyer I am talking about.

Some guitars are more resilient than others, my strat can take a beating and not show a blemish... and yet, she still has a few scars. They happen, so long as it's only a superficial problem it's alright! Even if you're particularly careful you'll give her a few jolts, so long as she isn't sitting in a case that is.

HEY...I'm a lawyer, and my '72 Les Paul has 40 years of scratches, dings, finsh checks and probably some very nasty stuff hidden under the pots.....

A lot of my friends are lawyers so I take back the stereo type, but I think you know the type of lawyer I am talking about.

No offence taken, we all know those lawyers/physicians/company directors who has a prefectly preserved vintage motorcycle in a glass case, but would never ride one because it would mess up their hair.

+1

not really someday there will be an estate sale and what a PRIZE someone is gonna get! :D/ sorta like a 50 yr.old historical time capsule! :D/ maybe I've got to much picker blood in me? :-s but if the guy's house burns down, then that would be tragic ! [blink]

Yes, scratches and dings are inevitable.

My Les Paul is actually in very good condition considering I've had it for nigh on 8 years now. I have a bit of belt rash on the back. I used to play with it quite low, so it's right on the edge at the top of the back where the binding would be on a custom.

It also has two dings on the headstock. One was caused by my grandmother a few days after I bought it. [cursing] I stayed with her back then and was sitting on my bed playing it. She knocked on my door and I leaned forward to open it. While I was doing this she slammed the door open.

The other was caused during a gig. The other guitarist tripped and his guitar neck slammed against the headstock. [crying]

It has been gigged hundreds of times. The case has taken a bit of a beating, but the guitar is in great condition. However, due to my laziness, the bridge is very tarnished. I should probably replace it, but it still works fine.

Can a guitar still get belt rash if your shirt tails down? cuz I like never tuck in my shirt tail. None of my guitars have belt rash, except one, but it isn't real belt rash. I actually done it to look like belt rash. No one knows if I don't tell them.

Well I never tuck anything into my trousers unless I'm wearing a suit. I got a really nice Led Zeppelin belt buckle as a christmas present a few years ago and that was the guilty party. Despite not tucking my t-shirt in, during a gig the belt buckle managed to scrape the guitar a little.

I'd post pictures, but I don't have a camera.

Edit:

But yes, I imagine belt rash can still happen easily. Especially if the buckle has a pointy bit.

• 2 weeks later...

To make you feel better about your dings/scratches,i was playing a gig and had set my alvarez ele./acoustic against the wall on stage,face first against the wall,i didnt have a stand back then,while sitting down on break,my bass player goes over and helps hisself to play a riff on my guitar,when he sets it down,he didnt take care to set it upright and it slid down the wall,broke the neck in half at the 2nd/3rd fret,i had it repaired but the intonation is horrible now.The only thing you can hope for w/ dings is that they dont happen on the front of the guitar :unsure:

First ding is the most traumatic. [scared] After that it's, 'Ehhh..?" [bored]

Oh, and MCCartney's 'scratch'? That is called "Patina of Honest Wear." He and his bass deserve it.

Oh, and if you are one of those OCD guit tar picers who leave all the stick on plastic protectors and "features and benefits" star bursts stuck to the pick guard and such... TAKE THEM OFF ALREADY THEY ARE PACKAGE AND MEANT TO BE REMOVED! By the time your OCD notices they are look a bit shabby, they may have 'welded' themselves to the accessory they are there to protect. Removing will become an impossibility.

snapback.pngmartinh, on 01 February 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

so have ya heard any good lawyer jokes lately? [flapper]

Well my favorite is this one:

Lawyer pulls up to the courthouse and parks his brand new black Lexus in a handicapped parking space. He flings open the door without looking, and a passing pickup truck smashes the door off and carries it away. The lawyer is left on his knees in a state of hystria crying "my Lexus, oh God, my beautiful Lexus oh no." A small crowd gathers. Finally somone steps forward and says "you materialistic idiot - you sit there crying about the car - didn't you notice that that truck took your left arm away with the door? The lawyer look towards where his left arm used to be, and cries OH MY GOD...........MY ROLEX!

snapback.pngmartinh, on 01 February 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Well my favorite is this one:

Lawyer pulls up to the courthouse and parks his brand new black Lexus in a handicapped parking space. He flings open the door without looking, and a passing pickup truck smashes the door off and carries it away. The lawyer is left on his knees in a state of hystria crying "my Lexus, oh God, my beautiful Lexus oh no." A small crowd gathers. Finally somone steps forward and says "you materialistic idiot - you sit there crying about the car - didn't you notice that that truck took your left arm away with the door? The lawyer look towards where his left arm used to be, and cries OH MY GOD...........MY ROLEX!

ill try to keep this one clean,3 kids are standin at busstop,a brand new vette goes by and one kid says im gonna be a doctor when i grow up so i can buy one of those cars,then a nice shiny porsche goes by and the 2nd kid says hes gonna be a lawyer so he can buy one of those,the 3rd kid says when i grow up i wanna be covered in hair,the other 2 reply "what??" he says "yeah my big sister has a little patch of hair and she has both of those cars!!!"

• 2 years later...

I gotta say, it took me twenty-some years to be able to handle guitars without banging them on everything. I'm glad I waited this long to get a real, nice guitar - I'm finally able to treat it right.

I worked in music stores, selling high-end Taylors, and I'd bang them against each other, customers, walls, etc. Every time I'd feel that twinge of anxiety, but always glad it wasn't a guitar I owned. I now believe this is one of the main purposes of entry-level guitars: to gain the experience of walking around, moving them around, unplugging the cable before placing it in the stand, being cautious of ceiling fans, even when there isn't one and the ceilings are high, etcetera, without banging them up too much.

Now, I'm actually surprised that I've had my new Gibson for 3 days so far, playing it as much as possible, without it getting any scars yet. I'm debating whether or not to care if it does, because that's an infinite battle that I don't need to endure. I almost want to hurry up and get my first ding, to get that over with, and begin shaping its character through battle-scars. I'm not going to do anything on purpose in a "relic" fashion, that's just insane to me.

This is a keeper though, so I have no regard for re-sale values. It's my only flawless, immaculate guitar in my modest collection though. Having a mint guitar is something very new to me, and I find it more stressful than it's worth. I just hope my first ding isn't too horrific. Maybe I should just carve my initials in its top right now.

Archived