Gibson Brands Forums

What would you pay for a good LG-1?

Spot

I've been watching the prices on EBAY and over at GBASE and was wondering what ya'll think is a fair price for a '50-'60 LG-1 in good condition?

Ideally I was after an LG-2 but they all see to be going for as much as a good J-45 these days....so its an LG-2,...if I can find one at the right price...

](*,)

change of plan ?? weren't you looking for a J45TV ?

maybe i'm getting mixed up :-s

Actually it was a Southern Jumbo BlindBoy,....I'm lookin' at a bunch of guitars as I just sold a few....Yes, it's a crime,.. I got GAS!!!

[scared]

Ideally I'd like a nice old Southern Jumbo, but I can't justify a 50's vintage at today's prices. Then its a possibly a newer Southern Jumbo (...like EuroAussies AA SJ). I'm going to see one later this week....

Then it's a small bodied Vintage. LG-2 and possibly an LG-2. Been after one of these for a while. Found a beautiful LG-2 on EBAY last year, bought it only to have the seller change his mind. Destiny I guess....

I like to open up the options as it gives one a better chance of finding a really good guitar (..if that makes sense!!!)

[biggrin]

I would say $1,500 to $1,700 for a good condition no issues guitar. I have seen some crazy prices for LG-1s lately. I got mine in a trade for a late 90s American Strat.

Thanks Ryan,..How does yours sound? Its pretty much the same year as the one I've spotted. The ladder bracing has me pushing for a LG-2 though,...but I've heard the LG-1's are pretty nice sounding..

[smile]

Thanks Ryan,..How does yours sound? Its pretty much the same year as the one I've spotted. The ladder bracing has me pushing for a LG-2 though,...but I've heard the LG-1's are pretty nice sounding..

[smile]

It sounds great but its depends on the type of music you are going for. Its pretty dry, boxy, unrefined (sort of a razor sharp sound). It makes a great blues guitar and sounds awesome finger picked. Strumming chords with a flat pick is not a strong suit.

This is a good representation of the tone and music style is excels at.

$1700 is about the top of the market. If you pay that much, the LG-1 better walk on water. I would pay more for an LG-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJtz7kiRzxw&list=FLRPGmoytkcnvsRmKH42DAlQ&index=39&feature=plpp_video

I recently helped a friend buy an LG-1. He ended up with a 1959 guitar with original softshell case at $500 although it did need a loose brace reglued.

If you go by eBay prices - only banner and script logo instruments are fetching in the $1500 range. Later ones are selling between $450 and $850 depending on age and condition. Granted though, if you buy from a store that price will be higher.

Archived