Gibson Brands Forums

Alnico Classic Humbuckers vs Probucker?

LGK_Dude

I'm looking to buy my first guitar, and am pretty much sold on Epiphone. However, I LOVE the sound of a Gibson Les Paul with 490/498 pickups (at least on a Gibson Les Paul Custom) and was hoping to come close to that sound. Which pickups would get be closer to that sound - Alnico Classic Humbuckers or the new Probuckers? Anyone play/heard both pickups? Whats your opinion on the differences in tone? Is it noticeable?

I also see some guitars like the Les Paul Studio and Standard that mention Open Coil Alnico Classic Humbuckers, or Open “Zebra Coil” ProBucker™-3 humbucker w/coil tapping. Open coil just means the pickups are not covered, right? They should sound the exact same as the covered version, correct?

Thanks for putting up with this newb! :-)

I'm looking to buy my first guitar, and am pretty much sold on Epiphone. However, I LOVE the sound of a Gibson Les Paul with 490/498 pickups (at least on a Gibson Les Paul Custom) and was hoping to come close to that sound. Which pickups would get be closer to that sound - Alnico Classic Humbuckers or the new Probuckers? Anyone play/heard both pickups? Whats your opinion on the differences in tone? Is it noticeable?

I also see some guitars like the Les Paul Studio and Standard that mention Open Coil Alnico Classic Humbuckers, or Open “Zebra Coil” ProBucker™-3 humbucker w/coil tapping. Open coil just means the pickups are not covered, right? They should sound the exact same as the covered version, correct?

Thanks for putting up with this newb! :-)

Some players claim that uncovered pickups sound brighter, clearer and/or louder than covered ones. The only way to tell for sure would be to use the same pickups in the same guitar both covered and uncovered, since even two of the same model guitar with the same pickups can sound somewhat different from each other, due to variances in wood density and resonance.

I have guitars with uncovered pickups, but generally prefer covered ones. It's strictly a matter of personal preference.

It's my understanding that Epiphone Alnico Classics are designed to be closer to Gibson's '57 Classic humbuckers, while the Probuckers mimic the sound of Gibson's Burstbuckers --- somewhat hotter than the Classics.

the probuckers will probably get you closer to the sound your looking for. .... however, you can buy whatever epi' guitar you want regardless of what pickups it has intalled, and fit a set of gibby 498/490s in it yourself as long as it is a humbucker guitar. changing pickups to suit your own tastes or musical needs is probably the most popular modification that guitarists do.

OK "LGK Dude"; I read all your posts and threads.......You are buying your first guitar, and have chosen to go with an Epi.....If you choose an Epi like the

"Tribute" with stock actual Gibby Classic 57s, you'll be happy.....Stock Epi "Classics" seem to have alnico V magnets....The Epi "Probuckers" use alnico ll

pickups....Both are buried in wax.....( [crying] )......You want a sound close to Gibby 498/490s.....Epi "Probuckers" will be "closer" than the Epi Classics............

But, as the great Big Neil says, the ONLY real option is to install REAL GIBBY 498/490s....The best price is at "AmplifiedParts".................

LGK dude, I have Probuckers, Gibson 57 Classics, Gibson Burstbuckers 2 & 3 and I had an Epi with the stock Alnico Classics. IMO, Epi did a good job on the Probuckers and they sound great. There is no real substitute for the genuine article though and 490R/498T pups are for sale on Ebay quite often. I'd buy a set and do a P/U upgrade if that is the sound you're looking for. If you have some flexibility though, maybe get an Epi Trad Pro or get an Epi JBLP with Gibson Burstbuckers. It's always best to play these Gits first and decide for yourself. If you can wait until one is available, the new Epi LPC GX will be coming stock with your fav pups in it. Check it out:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Prophecy-Les-Paul-Custom-Plus-GX.aspx

Happy hunting. [smile]

yeah. I'm going to for sure play all these guitars when they become available and hear the difference for myself. In the mean time, while I wait, I wanted to get some user options and live vicariously through your knowledge. :)

Thank you all for sharing!!

Archived