Gibson Brands Forums

'59 Fretboard

strattwin

What's the best way to clean my new Gibson LP R9's fretboard. Appears to be remnants of dealer goo (dirt, grime, crud...teenage popsicle-hand, in between frets). ;) I've heard Lemon Oil, but also heard in time it actually dries out the rosewood.

IMG_1800.jpg

Naptha is used in the shop to clean the fretboards and the rest of the guitar too. Most common lighter fluids are Naptha, but not all of them. Naptha is also used in the dry cleaning industry. You can find it at most hardware stores in a quart size that may last you a lifetime and it is not real expensive. I have used it for well over 20 years with no problems. You will want to "treat" the fretboard after cleaning it as the naptha will dry it out a little more. There are a lot of personal preferences on lubricating the fretboard such as Lemon oil, Ax Wax, FastFret, Dunlop 65, and more. I prefer Fret Doctor.

Naptha is used in the shop to clean the fretboards and the rest of the guitar too. Most common lighter fluids are Naptha, but not all of them. Naptha is also used in the dry cleaning industry. You can find it at most hardware stores in a quart size that may last you a lifetime and it is not real expensive. I have used it for well over 20 years with no problems. You will want to "treat" the fretboard after cleaning it as the naptha will dry it out a little more. There are a lot of personal preferences on lubricating the fretboard such as Lemon oil, Ax Wax, FastFret, Dunlop 65, and more. I prefer Fret Doctor.

Thanks alot! I will pick up some Naptha and Fret Doctor. The Naptha will eat through the Nitro finish on the body though, right?

Naphtha is safe on the nitro if you put it on a cloth and then wipe it off and not leave it on for a long time. I would not put it directly on the guitar. It is what the shop uses to clean the nitro before buffing it. For a little more info than just taking my word, check this out:

Naphtha

Naphtha is safe on the nitro if you put it on a cloth and then wipe it off and not leave it on for a long time. I would not put it directly on the guitar. It is what the shop uses to clean the nitro before buffing it. For a little more info than just taking my word, check this out:

Naphtha

Your posts are most informative and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick up some Naptha!

• 1 month later...

I also prefer Fret Doctor. Its great with Rosewood but its the only oil I've seen and used which improves ebony fret boards.

• 2 weeks later...

I carefully use naptha to clean the fretboard, wipe off any residual, then Dr Stringfellow to condition it.

I also prefer Fret Doctor. Its great with Rosewood but its the only oil I've seen and used which improves ebony fret boards.

• 2 months later...

Wow,,, naptha? Really? I wouldn't use anything on my guitar that I have to be careful with.

I would just rather user something safe. Never had any problem cleaning my guitars before. Don't see the point in using anything harsh.

Wow,,, naptha? Really? I wouldn't use anything on my guitar that I have to be careful with.

I would just rather user something safe. Never had any problem cleaning my guitars before. Don't see the point in using anything harsh.

Naphtha is not that harsh. Just dampen a rag with it rather than pouring it on the guitar. Honest. We all use it.

On the fretboard, you may also need to clean gunk from along the edges on either side of the frets. Q-tips cotton swabs are handy for this, once again with naphtha. Fretboard conditioner afterwards is a must. I use Planet Waves Hydrate, but everyone has a favorite. I put a drop or two at ever fret position, then use fine bronze wool to buff the fretboard and the frets. Follow up by wiping excess conditioner/oil off with a clean rag or paper towel.

After you've cleaned it thoroughly once, you can usually skip the naphtha at each string change, and just use the conditioner, buffed out as above.

Most people use steel wool for this buffing, but I prefer bronze wool, which doesn't rust and seems to leave fewer metal fibers behind.

Really? huh,,, sounds crazy to me. lol.

Maybe I'll give it a go on one of my old ones for a test. Thanks Nick.

Naphtha is what the shops all use because it breaks up oily grime and evaporates quickly. Then you'll want to condition it. Same goes for nitro. Wood absorbs water and alcohol eats nitro so stay away from using those as cleaning agents (or anything else that uses those as a base) and stick with naphtha.

Archived