Gibson Brands Forums

How do YOU find new music?

ShredAstaire

Hey guys...as most of you know. I have an insatiable appetite for new music and i'm always on the looking for a new band to listen to. (Sometimes an old band too!)

I have two main methods of discovering new music...

1) iTunes Store - "People who bought this album also bought..." I pick an album in my library that I like and i find it in the iTunes store and dig into this section. I'll sometimes get 20 levels deep before I find something I really like but it usually works. Sometimes the samples are a little misleading and i end up buying an album I don't love but thems the breaks.

2) Facebook posts - when any of my friends post a song from a band I have never heard of, I've made a promise to myself to ALWAYS listen to it...I've been surprised a few times!

Method #1 is more successful but at least with method #2, I am experiencing new music whether i end up liking it or not.

So...how do YOU find your new music?

I subscribe to Sirius satellite radio and find that the stations there are a great source of info into what's hot in new music.Musicians forums such as this are also a great source of suggestions about good new music.

I usually find new music (and old music I missed somehow) by either hearing it on the radio, hearing it on Pandora or my friends recommend something to me. I also buy old CDs that look interesting in thrift stores for $.75 and see what's cool. That's how I discovered Dave Martone.

I know quite a few styles now, and I pretty much know what I like listening to and playing, but like lately it's been through friends posts on Facebook, hence my discovery of the late great Miles Davis. That's not to say I hadn't heard of him, just a distinct lack of actually sitting down and listening to his material. There is still such a wealth of performers material I have yet to discover, or listen to. A few years back it was Robert Johnson, I'd even gone to the point of buying a 2 CD set a few years previously, but had never sat and listened - and now I'm glad I did. On the whole though I would say that FB has definitely broadened my musical horizons lately, anyway.

How do I say this in a simple understandable way.

"I don't"

No, that will probably not do it, as most people won't understand how a guy who makes a living off music doesn't listen to or look for new stuff.

I actually don't look for new music, I have 3 bands I love and I buy all of their records, even if everyone else says they are awful compared to the previous works of said bands. I mainly listen to those... then there are songs I really like and I have a playlist with all of them (probably less than 50 songs).

What can I say, I am one of those guys who would buy 100 of the same shirt so he can use them every day for the rest of his life.

Since this new band I have been exposed to material I would never listen too much less play. I really have no ill feelings towards Maroon5, just not my style of music. Yet playing their material has exposed me to their style of music, that Jagger tune has a different strumming pattern for sure. Gotta use a capo on this tune, just makes it easier to play.

WTF, you are playing that one TOO? [biggrin]

I am going through the same thing right now... the "wedding band" I'm playing with has 3 sets of Maroon 5, Coldplay, The Killers, and that kind of stuff. I had never noticed those bands until I was told to play their songs. And yes, that moves like jagger song has a cool vibe to it.

Thats so sad Thunder.

Not really d00d, the universe is wise, when music has to come to me it just does, most of the time the wife asks me to listen to something, or one of my bandmates does, also remember, I teach and most of my pupils are kids so they bring in lots of music that I haven't heard before.

I only said I don't look for music, not that I don't listen to it LOL

So...how do YOU find your new music?

I would suggest look at the music that got you inspired the most ! I did this sorta by accident! I have been a humble pie fan from day 1 ! so started looking for more PIE and that led to finding out more about Steve Marriott and his inspirations lo and behold i'am finding/reminded of the old blues men! :D/ that in turn with a little research/curiousity lead to what was inspiring say muddy watters,howlin wolf,john lee hooker! what it was ,was even older blues men like robert johnson,lead belly,blind lemon,etc. the more I find /hear that original inspirations they had, it really strikes a chord with me too! gotta love the journey man! [drool]

I actually don't look for new music, I have 3 bands I love and I buy all of their records, even if everyone else says they are awful compared to the previous works of said bands. I mainly listen to those... then there are songs I really like and I have a playlist with all of them (probably less than 50 songs).

Oh, I usually still have the 3 or 4 bands who I consider out and out favourites, but like I said in my previous posting, I'm open to other forms of music. Maybe it's my age but I've become more open to other styles as time has moved on.

:)

I quite enjoy reading up about the artists/bands that I like and while doing this I also try to see who their influences are/were, then I repeat the process searching for material to listen too of those artists that influenced them.

I quite enjoy reading up about the artists/bands that I like and while doing this I also try to see who their influences are/were, then I repeat the process searching for material to listen too of those artists that influenced them.

That's basically what I do too.

My kids, well at least the one at college has turned me onto some good stuff.

There is a local radio station around Chicago WXRT that I listen to mostly and their

range of music has got me to listen to different stuff.

Archived