Gibson Brands Forums

Song book symbols I've never seen???

onewilyfool

There is a good explanation of all this on the website link below. Some of this is "non-standard" notation that falls under the "not recommended" category, as it may be confusing. This has been demonstrated in the replies above, which show just how confusing it can be.

My link

How can major be the same as Fm7 which is F minor 7th. Really not sure about the triangle, but the circle is definitely a diminished chord. Maybe the triangle is an augmented 7th chord. That'd be my guess.

I'm guessing you're thinking the capital "M" and small "m" are the same as in Fm7 (minor 7), but capital "M" is used for major (FM7 aka FMaj7 and Fmaj7). The triangle is interchangeable with "M" as both symbolize major.

Check the link Nick posted, it's very good.

I never cared for the big M or little m. maj for major and - for minor as in B-7b5. It's the way they teach it at the old alma mater, Berklee...:)

Well, everybody knows Berklee is on of those snobby, strange East Coast music schools, after all. What do they know?

Im unsure of what you mean by that, but It made me a great living....and it's a great school

Michael, I'm being facetious. Most people know Berklee is a great music school, particularly for guitar.

You'll have to forgive our weak attempts at levity here...... [unsure]

1328323665[/url]' post='1113229']

Michael, I'm being facetious. Most people know Berklee is a great music school, particularly for guitar.

You'll have to forgive our weak attempts at levity here...... [unsure]

Got it.....my bad j. In retrospect, not a weak attempt at all...:).

I'm guessing you're thinking the capital "M" and small "m" are the same as in Fm7 (minor 7), but capital "M" is used for major (FM7 aka FMaj7 and Fmaj7). The triangle is interchangeable with "M" as both symbolize major.

Check the link Nick posted, it's very good.

I've never seen a capital "M" used to indicate a major chord ie FM7. That would seem to be very confusing as is the triangle. Why not just F7 for F major 7th. That's what I would use, although I suppose FMaj7 is OK too. Man, this kinda stuff should be way easier.

I've never seen a capital "M" used to indicate a major chord ie FM7. That would seem to be very confusing as is the triangle. Why not just F7 for F major 7th. That's what I would use, although I suppose FMaj7 is OK too. Man, this kinda stuff should be way easier.

Not to make things more confusing, but F7 stands for the F flatted seventh chord - 1-3-5-b7.

And FMaj7 stands for the F major seventh chord 1-3-5-7.

Not to make things more confusing, but F7 stands for the F flatted seventh chord - 1-3-5-b7.

And FMaj7 stands for the F major seventh chord 1-3-5-7.

Right. Probably because when this system evolved (it used to be Roman numerals and figured bass to indicated chord quality), it was primarily used for jazz voicings. In the early part of the 20th century the most common chords were "dominant" seventh chords based on 1-3-5-b7 (the blues) or upper structure chords like 1-3-5-b7-b9-#11 (modern jazz). You would usually see major 7 in only 2 chords ie Fmaj7, or the always confusing Fmin/maj7. I like playing strange voicings into the ToolKit app just to see all of the different chords it can be called.....in any case, it's shorthand with no one standard, accepted system.....the triangle is by far the one that gets everybody.....it's still better than writing out every note!

Archived