Gibson Brands Forums

GIbson and Martin

brannon67

Are you limited in your choice to just Martin and Gibson? I played a really nice Larrivee with Canadian Sitka top and rosewood.........,now,would you be willing to spend just a little more?......

I have had the opportunity to play a couple Larrivee dreads for sale in my local music store recently. One rosewood and one hog.

I will say that they both were fine playing guitars AND they both 'spoke to me' in a sweet voice. If I was in need of another 'acoustic', I would have snagged one. The difference for me....is the "Gibson thing". I am just ate up with it!

I cannot 'rationally justify' another guitar....unless its another Gibson at a great price...I just love the way they look [thumbup]

Yeah, I find Larrivees just far too 'pretty' sounding ... I need a bit more dirt in my tone.

I have had the opportunity to play a couple Larrivee dreads for sale in my local music store recently. One rosewood and one hog.

I will say that they both were fine playing guitars AND they both 'spoke to me' in a sweet voice. If I was in need of another 'acoustic', I would have snagged one. The difference for me....is the "Gibson thing". I am just ate up with it!

I cannot 'rationally justify' another guitar....unless its another Gibson at a great price...I just love the way they look [thumbup]

Someone posted a link to a "new" model D-18 with 1 3/4" nut.....I think D-18 is the "Flagship" of the Martin line, and like others, I find it a much nicer sound than the D-28...good luck!

I was going to post the same thing OWF, I just think this new D-18 is going to be a HUGE hit with it's performance neck and 1 3/4" nut. You can get one from MFG for the low sum of $1750.00, INSANE value there.

I'd order one but have a D-18 GE that needs to be loved.

I also own an 000-28 VS the big brother of the 28 VS' mentioned above, great guitar, in fact I have been playing it a lot lately since selling some other guitars.

Martin and Gibson both make some amazing guitars, I think I've come to realize though that NOTHING strums like a Gibby!!

Man that is sweet, Parlourman. Does that have the advanced prewar bracing?

I've owned a couple Martins and thought they were nice. A D-35 I once owned was a real sweetheart but not up to par with my J-45r. If I were to buy another Martin dred, it would be a D-18V; a more preferable choice, an 000-18 since I'm into Mahogany as my tonewood-of-choice. Smaller bodies feel much more comfy these days...

Just walked into a 2010 D18V last Saturday afternoon. Lovely action straight off the bat which reminded when I got my first mart28. Weighed the same or perhaps just a tad lighter than my hummer and the neck profile felt really good for my first time ever trying the V type profile. I can understand why when folks pick'em up and play'em in store they take'em home. BUT I must confess the hummer to my ears has a more authentic traditional woodiness tone for my preference of ear and a classier refrain of notes holding out on you. Also the 1.725" nut is more player to me than 1 11/16th. The hummer did need set up though. The mart just straight forward responsive hog/ sitka was nice though - voiced/ pitched a more higher overall on balance. Way above a NH Guild D40BG I played. That OP's '64 Guild D40 would intrigue me though..or a D18Ge. But loving the hummer character and it's moods too much for now.

DogsPart2...I've seen you mention this at least once before. I own a 64 D40 spruce/mahogany - Hoboken not Westerly. Yeah, one of the most underrated guitar brands. But I now have a chance to pick up a "newer" Westerly DV-52 a/e on a trade. It's spruce/rosewood this time. Any thoughts on it? I'd have a Gibson CL-20 and this guy wants to trade me straight across. I'm strongly considering it!! I think value wise anyway it's even...

Do not overlook Guild.

I have a 2008 D55 that is as good if not better than any of the D28s (HD28, HD28V and D28 Clarence White) I have owned.

Gratuitous pic of my Guild with the Gibsons.

DSC00731-1.jpg

sorry i screwed up on my last post...DogsPart2...I've seen you mention this at least once before. I own a 64 D40 spruce/mahogany - Hoboken not Westerly. Yeah, one of the most underrated guitar brands. But I now have a chance to pick up a "newer" Westerly DV-52 a/e on a trade. It's spruce/rosewood this time. Any thoughts on it? I'd have a Gibson CL-20 and this guy wants to trade me straight across. I'm strongly considering it!! I think value wise anyway it's even...

Archived