Gibson Brands Forums

SG400 custom feedback wanted

NickyTyler

hey everyone...

my go to guiar right now is my esp viper 1000 loaded with duncans (not sure what models). i really dig the warmth and fullness it puts out.

i was checking out some stuff to find a suitaable backup and came across the 3 pickup sg400 epiphone custom. ive had a faded gibson sg special and one of the older model 3 knob gibson sg specials and both were too thin and bright sounding for my preference.

my gibson sg x however i hung onto...dig the tone but somewhat limited by the single pick up. seems a lot meatier sounding than the specials i had. also has the pick up ring like on my esp ltd viper...which i seem to prefer in terms of having the entire pickup level with the strings.

anywho... came across a few used sg400 customs and was hoping for a little feedback before pulling the trigger. looks like they arent sold new at guitar center anymore...so cant just stop by and see for myself.

if you should happen to have experience with the ltd viper higher end models to compare to the sg400 custom...that would especially be helpful.

thank you!

I have a few G-400's, including an SG Custom w/maestro vibrola. I put a Duncan C8 in the neck (C5 with an A8 magnet), a P-90 in the middle, an a '59N in the neck. The bridge is full and thick, the neck is clear and articulate.

If a HB or P-90 is too bright or thin, you can put in warmer magnets, 250K pots, or a 1/4 watt 470K resistor across the outer lugs of the bridge volume pot (which makes it a virtual 250K). Don't get rid of a guitar until you've tried some of these things.

The G-400 Custom is one of the most versatile guitars made,you can get warm jazzy tones or full on heavy metal raunch and everything in between.My daughter's boyfriend has a Gibson SG but when I let him try my Epi through my JCM 800 stack he was floored and said that it was way better than his in every way.I have only played a few LTDs but I find the G-400 Custom way ahead in quality,playability and tone.When you completely roll back the volume of the middle pickup it functions the same as a 2 pup SG so you have many guitars in one.

G400s are good guitars. but you have to play before you pay. some have neck joins that have a bit too much flex in them. I installed wilkinson pickups in my one and it sounds killer.... and yes, it is the law that if you buy an sg in red or black you have to pretent your Angus at least once [thumbup]

G400s are good guitars. but you have to play before you pay. some have neck joins that have a bit too much flex in them. I installed wilkinson pickups in my one and it sounds killer.... and yes, it is the law that if you buy an sg in red or black you have to pretent your Angus at least once [thumbup]

What they said. [thumbup]

These G400 customs are pretty damn hot if there are no neck/flex issues.

As Neil said, Pickups may need changing,unless of course you're happy with what's

already there.

I modified mine a little and it rocks. No neck dives or flex problems.

I stuck a thin piece of foam rubber,using double sided tape, on the back for belt-rash and it stopped the neck dives. A good wide strap helps also.

IMHO,definitely the best of the Epi G400s and as good as,if not better than the

Gibson SG Specials.

Just try before you buy though.

cimg1121h.jpg

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Paul

Archived