Gibson Brands Forums

tone caps on lp

upsidedown club

hi I have pio tone caps .047 coming in the mail soon. Is it worth while to try these with epi 57 paf , or should I just shop for a new set of pup. Do you think I made a mistake in getting .047 caps instead of .022 . or of course rewire everything but I cant see why on that right now . anyone change to grover selflocking tuners? Ok I want to post a picture of my les paul standard lefty restrung righty Thank you for your time, Regards, upsidedown club

anda

I

hi I have pio tone caps .047 coming in the mail soon. Is it worth while to try these with epi 57 paf , or should I just shop for a new set of pup.

UC,

Welcome to the forum.

You can try the .047 to see what they are like but I imagine you will be disappointed.

.022 is the standard for Humbuckers. If anything, some will go to .015 or .010 to keep away from the dark side.

Wide open the the .047s should sound normal enough. In fact, there is a simple mod to make tone pots "no-load" when wide open. BUT...as you adjust the tone the .047 caps will cause you to get very dark, very quickly. Too much in the opinion of most for a humbucker.

Next.... Why would you change a/both pup just because you might prefer a change of caps?

Also, Do you play right handed or left?....just curious.

Willy

Upgrading PU's in a mid-priced import does more to improve the tone than everything else put together. Changing caps will make little if any noticeable difference. I get most of my PU's used, on eBay, for about half price. I have various American-made PAF's in most of my Epi's. Duncan makes some of the best, like Seth, '59, PG, and A2P. I just put a set of Seth's (SH-55) in an Epi Lp Std. Fantastic vintage tones.

UC,

Welcome to the forum.

You can try the .047 to see what they are like but I imagine you will be disappointed.

.022 is the standard for Humbuckers. If anything, some will go to .015 or .010 to keep away from the dark side.

Wide open the the .047s should sound normal enough. In fact, there is a simple mod to make tone pots "no-load" when wide open. BUT...as you adjust the tone the .047 caps will cause you to get very dark, very quickly. Too much in the opinion of most for a humbucker.

Next.... Why would you change a/both pup just because you might prefer a change of caps?

Also, Do you play right handed or left?....just curious.

Willy

Yeah ,jumped the gun on the caps not going to put them in at all. I will be looking for gison paf and a dimarzio bridge; maybe passive emg hz . Thanks you all !! I play left hand strung righty. This is my first left handed guitar and had the nut replaced and set up for action and intonation done at apro shop. However now I have my strings off and just sanded my fretboard and polished my frets. really happy with how this looks and feels . going to get some exl 125 c'ustoms and string it up since I dont need to wait for the caps...Best regards Upside down

BB's are Gibson's best PAF's, definitely better than '57's or 490's. Why not a PAF in the bridge too?

I am just guessing at this point seymor duncans,gibsons dimarzio . I did see a you tube vid with gibson 57 paf neck and dimarzio 36th aniversary paf in bridge sounded good. I dont know if burstbucker are too hot to be smooth warm and clean. the seymor duncans recommended on this post thread sound nice. maybe it will come done to a few choices and how long I can wait to get the good deal on ebay. thanks blueman 335 and willy , upside down (guitar) club

Archived