Gibson Brands Forums

What is your go to chord?

daveinspain

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with ya Dave, except I use the G in the first or open position. I play mine a little different than most, I add the 3 fret on the B string. This gives it nice twang and open feel.

E A D G B E

3. 2. 0. 0. 2. 2

me too!

Guest farnsbarns

I think 320033 is just a G chord, G B D G D G , root -third- fifth-root-fith-root . Gonna need an F in there somewhe to get the G7.

The 32022 is a real wiredo. If you try and spell it as a G chord, it's root -third- fifth-root- flat 5 - Maj7, "G maj7 partially diminished" - nasty!

You're quite right. You must have been ages quoting that coz o realized I'd mis counted on my mental image of a fret board and changed it pretty quick ;)

Interesting question.

I thing mostly, subconsciously, I play a first position open A. It helps me to hear the guitar, and from there, it can be turned into a variety of rhythms and chord progressions or leads depending on what I feel I want to hear the guitar do.

But for playing with others, be it a jam that is fooling around or an actual tune, my default is the 'Ee' type bar chord, loosely barred over all the strings but only playing the top or bottom note, or the first 3 strings only. The reason is depending on what I hear from the rest of the players, I can make it into a Maj, min, or Maj or min 7th which works for everything, and I don't have to change position and it is more automatic. It also puts me into position on the fretbaord to know where I am at in relation to any other position I might want to go to.

Eleventh chord.

Play a G barre chord and take finger off 5th fret A string and put it on 5th fret low E string. You are now playing G triad over A bass and in music theory it goes to A7 or to D but it's a lovely open sounding chord with lots of uses.

I don't get into all the technical crap, I just play. What's ever been wrong with that? I really don't have a hard time talking with musicians. I've had other ppl play songs that I've written perfectly, even though I thought that the way it's played is how I play it. I don't know the names of things, but It doesn't stop me from learning how to do it. I know where to put my fingers on different strings, but I don't know what you call the patterns. I have ADHD too and it sucks because it prohibits me from learning certain things. I admit I don't have much booksmart. I can't read any music at all. I learn things just by the way it sounds. I don't know why people (I'm not picking any certain person out), but people in general say its bad. It doesn't change the fact that I once was in one of the most famous rock bands of all time, "The LudNuts", everything came crashing down after I left rehab, I lost my house and my car landed several millions in debt and no one bought any of my records. So my advice, If your ever in a band Don't Do Drugs! I once knew a mexican guy that played a classical nylon string acoustic and he was just flat out amazing. He played at the old baseball park in the town I'm from. He played spanish acoustic type music and He had serious skill. He didn't know how to read music though. I kinda relate those ppl to me. I'm not trying to judge anyones playing abilities or any means like that. I'm saying some folks learn differently. I actually privately teach 4 students guitar on Saturdays for extra money to keep my lights on. I posted about it on this forum once. It seems to me like ppl judges me here too much lately. Post your own original songs before you talk about my playing. I'm not talking about any specific person on here. I made that one 2AsG4bDminorjakeF7roxx! chord up obviously, but no one got the joke. Its not real.

Lol I have sooo much fun talking to ya'll guys on this forum!

=) -Hugs lol

I can't read music, nor can I translate what a chord would be called if I put my fingers in random places (i.e. fifth root, major 7th, diminished sustain 12th on the rocks with a twist)! However, I do find it easier FOR ME to know the name of the chord I'm playing. To each his own. I hope I didn't offend.

P.s. I too have (self-diagnosed) ADD, I'm too lazy to be Hyperactive though.

I guess I'm the only one who goes to a big ole open E chord. :-k

I let it ring for a few seconds and then add the 7th before doing a few bluesy riffs using the Emin pentatonic in the open position. That's just my little ritual when i first pick up a guitar. B)

EM7 played with the hi and low E's open.

1st finger on the 7th fret of the A string.

2nd finger on the Gstring 8th fret.

3rd finger on the 9th fret of the d string

Pinky on the 9th fret of the B string.

Very dreamy chord played that way. I like to do it with sweeps from the low E string to the high Estring and back down in one sweep. That's what I grab when I am just foolin' around and want to hear the clean tone.

Then I slide that fingering formation down the neck and play it in different positions to get that really lazy, dreamy, spiralling downward sound.

I agree with ya Dave, except I use the G in the first or open position. I play mine a little different than most, I add the 3 fret on the B string. This gives it nice twang and open feel.

E A D G B E

3. 2. 0. 0. 2. 2

I'm with ya too....and I play my G a little different too.....

Most use their middle finger on the E-string (3rd fret), index on the A-string, (2nd fret), and ring finger on the little E-string, (3rd fret)

I use the ring finger on the E-string, (3rd fret), middle finger on the A-string, (2nd fret), and the little finger on the little E-string, (3rd fret).

That leaves my index finger free to hammer on or pull off, not to mention flows right into the C-chord.

Fav chord is sort of a triple octave: Leave low E and A open and bar E and A notes at 2nd fret and 5th fret. Some session players refer to it as a "long A" chord.

That's a great chord too, that I always go to when picking up a guitar. I call it a 5th chord because it's all roots and 5th, no 3rds. I find it a great way to test the tuning of the guitar. There's ways to play similar chords with open E,D and G. Sounds great with distortion too! [thumbup]

Fav chord is sort of a triple octave: Leave low E and A open and bar E and A notes at 2nd fret and 5th fret. Some session players refer to it as a "long A" chord.

Pete Townsend was kinda fond of that one as an ending chord

Archived