Gibson Brands Forums

Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.

ChanMan

The Maz Junior is one of the best amplifiers ever created. You can't go wrong with a Dr Z amp. The Maz range is probably the biggest selling Dr Z amp. Well built, reliable, great looks, and amazing tone.

The Maz 18 is LOUD. Don't think because it's just 18 watts it will not be. Z watts are louder than 'normal' watts!

I don't work for Dr Z or have any affiliation with them other than I own a Dr Z amplifier and would never change it.

. . . oh and give the MAZ 8 studio some serious consideration if you need a smaller amp. It has pentode/triode modes and can do everything a Maz 18 can, but with less clean headroom.

If you go for a Maz 18 and want to play it at home then I would recommend a Dr Z Airbrake or brakelite attenuator.

The Maz Junior is one of the best amplifiers ever created. You can't go wrong with a Dr Z amp. The Maz range is probably the biggest selling Dr Z amp. Well built, reliable, great looks, and amazing tone.

The Maz 18 is LOUD. Don't think because it's just 18 watts it will not be. Z watts are louder than 'normal' watts!

I don't work for Dr Z or have any affiliation with them other than I own a Dr Z amplifier and would never change it.

That is a VERY positive recomendation, indeed! Thank you!

I'd like to investigate that whole "loudest watts" theory [biggrin]

With the Maz 18 you have a choice of with or without (NR) reverb. The one you posted a link to was the NR version. They do have slightly different voices. Since I got my Z Wreck I have been progressively selling all my other amplifiers. I am getting a Maz 8 soon. Between that and the Wreck I will have everything I could possibly need from amplifiers and my search is over. I'm getting an 8 because I can use it at home with a brakelite (yes I know it's only 8 Watts, but like I said Z watts are loud watts) and it has the triode/pentode switch. It comes with a celestion blue speaker (although I think they have made the celestion blue an upgrade now, it was standard when the Maz 8 was first issued). The Maz 8 is loud enough for small to medium size gig venues and I can mike it up for bigger places. Check out the Maz 8 studio combo chanman as you might find it will satisfy your needs. I have heard from a few people who have moved from the Maz 18 to a Maz 8. Either way you will not be disappointed with any Dr Z amplifier.

The Z Wreck is absolutely awesome, but it is a loud amplifier and not really one for using at home (although I do use mine with an airbrake on bedroom setting, but it's still very loud). As well as the incredible tone you get from a Wreck they must be one of the best looking amplifiers out there (in quantum silver finish). The Z Wreck is expensive but worth every penny.

What I have discovered with Dr Z amplifiers is that they allow you to get the best tone possible out of every guitar you plug into them. They are incredibly well built. Customer service is second to none.

That thing gets some tasty overdriven sounds. I have to run a booster or OD to get that kind of sound out of my ac30.

I'd really love to have one of those.

That's Dr Z amplifiers for you. They are the best. I've stopped using pedals!

That thing gets some tasty overdriven sounds. I have to run a booster or OD to get that kind of sound out of my ac30.

Yeah, that's the EQ bypass. It sounds great on a youtube video. You can imagine how much better it sounds in person. My MAZ is my favourite amp for that reason/feature alone.

Damn you, Tim! I need AAS like I need a hole in the head,

You're quite welcome. [biggrin]

Yup. Do you have a Special 6?

Yea, it's a great little head. Unbelievable the tones that come out of that thing for $279! An amp builder friend of mine just shakes his head every time he hears it... "How can I compete with this?" he says. [biggrin]

Archived