Gibson Brands Forums

Advice needed: First home recording unit

heymisterk

Yes, it is true: I have played guitar for 25 years and been in three different bands, but the most recording I have ever done is on an old cassette recorder or on some sort of video recorder. But I know NOTHING about buying a proper home recording unit.

I don't even know where to begin looking. I realize I am going to sound like a moron describing what I want, but I am hoping you guys can help:

-Something I can record my Taylor acoustic/electric on to get a basic track. That leads me to another question: Do I mic it or just plug it into the recorder? And what if I want to record an electric guitar?

-A unit where I can overlay two vocal tracks, one for melody and one for harmony.

Microphones are a whole other issue, and one I don't know squat about: the only mics I have are for the cheap PA system I have used for years. I am assuming I will need to buy mics to plug into the recorder?

Finally, WHAT do modern recorders record ON? CDs? Digitally?

Geez, I feel dumb asking this stuff, but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction? [sad]

THANK YOU!!!

Jeff

There are others here who know much more than I, Mista K. But maybe my simple take on things is of some value...

1 - I'd say use your computer rather than an independent piece of recording hardware (I think most of the stand alone recorders use hard drives or flash memory anyway). You'll just need a software recording suite of some sort... they vary in price from free to hundreds of dollars.

2 - Assuming you want your Taylor to sound like an acoustic guitar (ie capture what it sounds like to your ears in the room) I'd suggest a mic over plugging in directly. The little Samson GoMic is cheap ($59) and will get you a decent acoustic sound. It will suffice for vocals as well and can mic a guitar amp too. You can spring for some nicer mics later.

3 - I've had better luck plugging electric guitars directly into the computer than I've had with acoustic, although a little tube preamp (ART makes some inexpensive ones) is a big help in warming up the sound.

That's about all I got. I can send you a demo done with the GoMic if you want to hear it in action through my laptop. Though I think many of Duane's posted recordings were done with one and his stuff is way better than mine. [biggrin]

Yes, it is true: I have played guitar for 25 years and been in three different bands, but the most recording I have ever done is on an old cassette recorder or on some sort of video recorder. But I know NOTHING about buying a proper home recording unit.

I don't even know where to begin looking. I realize I am going to sound like a moron describing what I want, but I am hoping you guys can help:

-Something I can record my Taylor acoustic/electric on to get a basic track. That leads me to another question: Do I mic it or just plug it into the recorder? And what if I want to record an electric guitar?

-A unit where I can overlay two vocal tracks, one for melody and one for harmony.

Microphones are a whole other issue, and one I don't know squat about: the only mics I have are for the cheap PA system I have used for years. I am assuming I will need to buy mics to plug into the recorder?

Finally, WHAT do modern recorders record ON? CDs? Digitally?

Geez, I feel dumb asking this stuff, but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction? [sad]

THANK YOU!!!

Jeff

the wife got me a BOSS br 80 ! about the only thing i got extra was the ac power adapter.but it will go about 6hrs on the batteries.I'am very impressed with it and would highly recommend it! :rolleyes: ya ought to check it out on the BOSS site!

Surfpup gave you some great advise... Your computer will do it all. What kind of computer do you have? If you use a PC you might want to look at Cubase 6. If you have a Mac you might want to look at Logic audio but the program Garage band, that comes with a Mac, can do everything you need to get a quality recording. That being said I use a Mac with Cubase 6. I find Cubase very intuitive and it has everything you need and much more...

Regardless of the software you chose, you will need an audio interface that will allow you to plug in your instruments or microphones and convert the audio signal to digital. There are many choices there too. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 which I believe it's a good choice as it has quality preamps and converters and comes with a very usable plugin package.

If you go this rout you will find you have an expandable system that can grow with you... Use google to answer any question you have and use the many free tutorials on Youtube on just about everything you need to learn as well...

Good luck and happy recording... [thumbup]

Thanks! My only issue is this: I just bought a new DESKTOP computer, and my office and guitar equipment are in different rooms. So that puts a bit of a roadblock into using my computer: moving my computer in the guitar room or vice-versa isn't really an option. So I might have to shell out for a portable recorder, like the BOSS that D mentioned.

Good luck with the recorder, I have a Boss Micro BR and I am about to sell it because I never learned how to record on several channels and mix, etc. I have recorded ideas into it but that's about it. It is not very user friendly.

I end up using it for silent practice, travel since it has guitar effects, drum beats and MP3 play along.

There are a lot of ways to record at home:

- USB microphone will allow you to capture acoustic guitar/vocals and mic a guitar amp.

- USB interface can give you conectivity for instruments and microphones, even amp modeling software.

- Like Surfpup said you can use an Art Tube Preamp to connect to your computer.

- You can even record on an iPhone/iPad with an Apogee Jam and an Apogee Mic.

You should download Audacity from the Internet, it is a free 4 channel software that is stable and fairly flexible to start and will give you an idea.

It depends on how much you want to get into it, but i'll tell you by recording you will discover a whole new side to guitar playing.

Good luck with the recorder, I have a Boss Micro BR and I am about to sell it because I never learned how to record on several channels and mix, etc. I have recorded ideas into it but that's about it. It is not very user friendly.

I end up using it for silent practice, travel since it has guitar effects, drum beats and MP3 play along.

I'am not by any means a computer geek!the 50 +crowd,so that being said there is a learning curve! the book lays it out pretty good and there are a lot of capabilities! my 25 year old son in 20 min.did a double track with my new SJ on it with the built in mic's, just plain awesome! [love] if your interested go to your local git shop and try it out! [wink] [wink] maybe the poster above might give ya a good deal! [cool] the portability is very useful too !

The Micro BR was the predecessor to the model you have, the Micro was the first recorder of its kind I think,

Don't get me wrong, I am able to record with it, drums and two guitar tracks, the onboard mic is quite good actually and I also bought a small Stereo mic to record into two channels at the same time and have much better microphone placement.

I should have explained better that what I have never done is a fully produced track were you record into a virtual track, do several takes and then choose the one like like best, then process and mix the final result making sound much smoother.

Basically I have used mine with more of a plug and play approach.

They are great little units in that not only do they record but like I said you can use them as a drum machine, MP3 trainer, and guitar effects. But because I started recording with software I just never used the Boss to record again.

Archived