Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks,,,,,,what a pain!

Dg77

So the schaller and praline are basically the same thing and I picked up a couple sets for both of my guitars. As everyone knows the tail end screw in the LPs are bigger so they don't fit in the end. Not wanting to do the dowel or the toothpick trick, I opted to mod the buttons. First I drilled the screw hole bigger, no problem there but the dilemma is to get the screw head to fit in the button, you have to bore out that hole, but that makes the button unstable as when the lock clips in, there is too much movement and it would slip out, so the button mod stops there. Shame because I had a solid idea....tile drill bit....to bore it out. I ended up taking a screw I had laying around and filing it down using the drill and a course file, then a finer to smooth it out. The screw is a little shorter than the stock screw but it's tight and works fine.

Guitar....$2300

Strap....$29

3 sets of strap locks.....$60

Knowing my guitar will not fly through the window.....priceless!

Seriously Gibson, make you screws the same size ( I know why thy aren't but there hasto be a better way!)

I like the Gibson strap buttons, but they are just not practical. Maybe they should follow Fender on this and factory fit strap locks, so we don't all have this headache.

AMEN!

Or just use the same scre as the neck button, it would be a snap then!

My wife thought I was building something in the garage. [laugh]

I never understood why they never made an easy strap lock system for their own guitars, or why no one has come out with a better locking system. Planet Waves Locking Guitar Strap sort of has the right idea but it can scratch up the finish on your LP on the screw up near the neck. It locks better with the SG cause the screw is on the back of the guitar, but to fit it on the other end you have to turn the strap over. :angry:

I never understood why they never made an easy strap lock system for their own guitars, or why no one has come out with a better locking system. Planet Waves Locking Guitar Strap sort of has the right idea but it can scratch up the finish on your LP on the screw up near the neck. It locks better with the SG cause the screw is on the back of the guitar, but to fit it on the other end you have to turn the strap over. :angry:

Yup....didn't like the planet waves at all

I just got over it and drilled the holes larger and used the screws that came with the Dunlop strap locks. The screw is already made for the button ;) I do not like using toothpicks in my guitars either! But, drilling and gluing a dowel and making a new hole is perfectly fine and structurally sound. It is also going to be hidden under the strap button if you went that route. The stock Gibson strap buttons are trash, they are way too small and you cannot trust them to stay in a strap....for long LOL.

It is a pain . I use the original screws .

I drill the Schaller button so the screw body will fit , the buttons brass so it's pretty easy.

Then I put the Gibson screw in a dremel and file down the screw head until it fits inside the button .

Couple dozen guitars , half dozen straps , just Schaller buttons for the rest at a couple bucks a pop .

So the schaller and praline are basically the same thing and I picked up a couple sets for both of my guitars. As everyone knows the tail end screw in the LPs are bigger so they don't fit in the end. Not wanting to do the dowel or the toothpick trick, I opted to mod the buttons. First I drilled the screw hole bigger, no problem there but the dilemma is to get the screw head to fit in the button, you have to bore out that hole, but that makes the button unstable as when the lock clips in, there is too much movement and it would slip out, so the button mod stops there. Shame because I had a solid idea....tile drill bit....to bore it out. I ended up taking a screw I had laying around and filing it down using the drill and a course file, then a finer to smooth it out. The screw is a little shorter than the stock screw but it's tight and works fine.

I have Schallers on all of my electrics. I didn't use the toothpicks either. I used the stock sized screw on my Gibsons, drilled the hole like you did. I used a small sanding disc that came with my dremel to make the screw head fit...Takes maybe 30 seconds with the dremel and by using the sanding disc it doesn't leave sharp edges.

Just my 5cents here I use the $30 Dunlop Strap Lok's on all my Les Pauls

Fortunately the Screw holes are EXACTLY the same size so redrilling wasn't required.

Fitting the system takes between 10-20 minutes (Longer with thicker scraps) but once its on your good to go.

My main reasons for using them are:

# Quick, Easy attach & detachment

# The strap can be stored off the guitar protecting the finish & preventing "Nitro Burn" that you can get with certain plastics found on straps.

There is another way, its far less expensive and works actually better since no drilling required.

Planet waves makes a lockable guitar strap that actually is large enough to fit over even Ibanez buttons and it locks in place. If you can get a older strap they work so much better. They redesigned the locking part a few years ago and while its a little skinnier is a little difficult to unlock the strap while under low stage lights. It offered in many different colors and I have both versions, I had to put felt on the underside of the newer locks to prevent the plastic lock from scratching my guitars. Since its this type of lock no removing the original button and its offered in many colors and styles

http://www.sweetwater.com/c932--Planet_Waves--Guitar_Straps

Planet_Lock_PolyPro_shopped-097fd89fe691938f9b0ed08e77f86705.jpg

The locking system is nice, but they need to put some padding on the underside of the lock if you're going to use it on a LP or you'll have some nice scratches. If you want to use it on an SG you have to twist one end 180 degrees since the button up by the neck is on the back of the guitar.

There is another way, its far less expensive and works actually better since no drilling required.

Planet waves makes a lockable guitar strap that actually is large enough to fit over even Ibanez buttons and it locks in place. If you can get a older strap they work so much better. They redesigned the locking part a few years ago and while its a little skinnier is a little difficult to unlock the strap while under low stage lights. It offered in many different colors and I have both versions, I had to put felt on the underside of the newer locks to prevent the plastic lock from scratching my guitars. Since its this type of lock no removing the original button and its offered in many colors and styles

http://www.sweetwater.com/c932--Planet_Waves--Guitar_Straps

Planet_Lock_PolyPro_shopped-097fd89fe691938f9b0ed08e77f86705.jpg

The locks look interesting but I don't like those nylon straps. If they made a long, 4 inch wide, leather one I would look at them.

I am using Dunlop Ergo Lok Straps. They are cheap, no need to use screws and they are safe as long as you impeach them to turn alone when they are installed... Otherwise they reopen and then... boom! Those Ergo Lok Straps should just follow the move of the strap around the strap button, but not turn alone.

On some strap buttons, it is tight enough with the guitar strap on to avoid the Lok Straps to turn alone. That is the case for the button strap on the neck side of my LP 50s Tribute.

But for the strap button on the bridge side which was not tight enough with the guitar strap on to impeach the Lok Strap to turn alone, I just inserted a felt ring on the strap button between the body of the guitar and the guitar strap, and then fixed the Ergo Lok Strap. It works perfectly.

In case I am not clear enough with my explanations, I may post a picture.

FYI I am using a 2,5 inch suede guitar strap.

Hello All! This is from Schaller's site: "Longer screws are available on request, which means you can use our Schaller Security Locks on your Gibson too (please contact us at info@schaller-electronic.com)." The link to the product: http://strap-locks.com/hp135050/Artikel-Liste.htm?ITServ=C7b289888X13556fb6a41X2f31 Cheers... Bence

Hello All! This is from Schaller's site: "Longer screws are available on request, which means you can use our Schaller Security Locks on your Gibson too (please contact us at info@schaller-electronic.com)." The link to the product: http://strap-locks.com/hp135050/Artikel-Liste.htm?ITServ=C7b289888X13556fb6a41X2f31 Cheers... Bence

Length of screw is not an issue and the schallers now come with short and long screws. The problem is the thickness of the screw and the size of the head which won't fit in the button.

Funny thing is, that's about as much work and I want to keep my baby as original as it came

I assume you are thinking about resale value, when you say "as original as it came".

- Strap locks will not have a negative impact and you can always keep the originals

- A broken neck will significantly reduce the guitars value

:rolleyes:

Just my 5cents here I use the $30 Dunlop Strap Lok's on all my Les Pauls

Fortunately the Screw holes are EXACTLY the same size so redrilling wasn't required.

Fitting the system takes between 10-20 minutes (Longer with thicker scraps) but once its on your good to go.

My main reasons for using them are:

# Quick, Easy attach & detachment

# The strap can be stored off the guitar protecting the finish & preventing "Nitro Burn" that you can get with certain plastics found on straps.

+1 I also have used Dunlops on my Gibson LP, my son's Epi LP, and my other son's Epi Thunderbird Bass. Never had to drill a hole.

Guitar....$2300

Strap....$29

3 sets of strap locks.....$60

Knowing my guitar will not fly through the window.....priceless!

Seriously Gibson, make you screws the same size ( I know why thy aren't but there hasto be a better way!)

Bought a new G LP studio and Dunlop straplok dual design.

I sanded the neck screw of G a bit to fit the dunlop. and use the dunlop screw for the bottom screw instead of G's.

NO problem at all, very fastened and secure

Archived