Gibson Brands Forums

Beginner here, in love with the Les Paul .....

a7d7e7

Hey folks .....

I've been playing for about a month after a year of start/frustration/quit.

Currently I'm using a Peavey Predator that is old and out of tune every 5 minutes.

I visited my local music store a few times and test-played some Stratocasters.

Yesterday the sales guy says, "Ever consider a Les Paul?"

"Maybe if I win the lottery I could afford one," I said.

The sales guy hands me a Les Paul. A traditional, I think it was.

"This costs a little more than the American Deluxe Strats you've been playing here. But it's worth it," the guy says.

Well. OMG! Turns out that the LP neck is a little wider than the Strat and I wasn't muting strings that should be played open. More room for my fingers!

Then we plugged her in and .... THAT SOUND!!!

I'm sold.

Hey folks .....

I've been playing for about a month after a year of start/frustration/quit.

Currently I'm using a Peavey Predator that is old and out of tune every 5 minutes.

I visited my local music store a few times and test-played some Stratocasters.

Yesterday the sales guy says, "Ever consider a Les Paul?"

"Maybe if I win the lottery I could afford one," I said.

The sales guy hands me a Les Paul. A traditional, I think it was.

"This costs a little more than the American Deluxe Strats you've been playing here. But it's worth it," the guy says.

Well. OMG! Turns out that the LP neck is a little wider than the Strat and I wasn't muting strings that should be played open. More room for my fingers!

Then we plugged her in and .... THAT SOUND!!!

I'm sold.

My first ever guitar was an epiphone start knock off....upgraded that to a prs Santana after 2 years....now like12 years later of on and off playing as a hobby, I own a lp,traditional and LOOOOOOVVE it! The fat neck was a big selling point...50s style all the way. Bends are soooo much smoother now, I can already tell a difference in the week I've owned it.

Worth every penny my friend

Did you actually buy a Traditional? That's a huge leap for a beginner.

Just so you know, Gibson guitars are notorious for having tuning problems. The nut is usually cut poorly from the factory and many guitars don't stay in tune and give you this 'tink' sound when tuning certain strings.

If you didn't buy that guitar, check out the LP Studio. They lack the binding, usually have plain tops, have different pickups, and cost a lot less. Most will say the Traditional has better pickups but you can easily swap them out. Studios before 2007 had weight-relieved bodies just like Traditionals do. Studios after 2007 are chambered. That will make a different in weight and (usually) tone.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Just so you know, Gibson guitars are notorious for having tuning problems. The nut is usually cut poorly from the factory and many guitars don't stay in tune and give you this 'tink' sound when tuning certain strings.

If you didn't buy that guitar, check out the LP Studio. They lack the binding, usually have plain tops, have different pickups, and cost a lot less. Most will say the Traditional has better pickups but you can easily swap them out. Studios before 2007 had weight-relieved bodies just like Traditionals do. Studios after 2007 are chambered. That will make a different in weight and (usually) tone.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

R9 I have to thank you again as the link to all things Paul that you posted really helped me narrow it down. I originally had my eyes on a 50s tribute with hb, but I read so many negative comments that I decided to step up my game and just he what I've always wanted....

To the op here....do your research and play everything you can til ou find the one. I went to 3 stores in one day and tried everything with the iconic trapezoid only that I could get my hands on. Only way to knows to play it. I wish I had done that much research and trials 12 years ago when I upgraded. As much as I love my prs, I'm in heaven right now.

No, I didn't buy anything yet. After visiting the Gibson site and seeing how many different Les Paul models exists, my head is spinning with confusion. After seing so many different models, I realize I have A LOT of guitars to play before I buy one. I'm going back to the store tomorrow to get the exact informtion so I can shop around for the best price. This local store was asking $2300.00. In all my excitement over playing such a great guitar, I didn't write down model names, etc.

What a bummer! I just did an internet search and found LOTS of people complaining about this problem. Now I'm back to square one and maybe even back to considering a Stratocaster.

Don't be scared away by a "possible" bad nut! Your Les Paul may turn out just fine. A little graphite lube in the nut slots does wonders too (even if you buy a strat). I own a LP Studio and a LP Traditional Plus. I love both, but the cheaper Studio is no lesser guitar! If you get a glossy finished model studio, I think you will see that it is a very nice guitar indeed. Like you, I enjoy the wider string spacing on the Gibson's when chording. If you liked the feel and sound of the Les Paul, save up and get it!

Keep playing them until you find one that calls to you. I actually have a similar story. I was in GC and saw this beautiful black cherry Les Paul. I played a bunch of them before that time, but when I played this one it just called to me. My wife was with me and I remember telling her that all my life I wanted a Les Paul but could never afford one. She said "well you can now so buy it." I of course did. That started my GAS, although I have more Pepto Bismo than R9 (he he he).

lp_bcf.jpg

Here's my advice...don't take advice from the internet! What were the circumstances that the guitar would not stay in tune...new strings, anywhere the string touches, junk strings, old strings, etc.

I put new strings on a Strat. I tightened them from low to high. Guess what? When I finished, four of the six string were out of tune. Why? Newton's Third Law: The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear. Doh! #-o Now, I put them on (1,6), (2,5), (3,4). It still goes out of tune, but I feel better about it. After a few minutes of stretching the strings and playing the problem is solved.

Ask a live person how they keep their guitar in tune.

Oh, and buy the Gibson Studio Deluxe...it will save you about $800 and it is a great guitar.

Good luck.

What a bummer! I just did an internet search and found LOTS of people complaining about this problem [tuning problems/nut]. Now I'm back to square one and maybe even back to considering a Stratocaster.

Welcome.

IMO, on average, Fenders come with a better setup from the factory. OTOH, a lot of players would pay a shop/luthier to have a new purchase (no matter the brand) setup to their liking - fret level check, fret dressing, string gauge, string spacing, action, relief, and intonation. Not that expensive in comparison to the cost of the guitar. As far as what purchase to make, it comes down to the sound/tone you want. You have to decide what the worth or that sound is, and what you're willing to pay for it. I wish you luck in finding that the first time around.

R9 I have to thank you again as the link to all things Paul that you posted really helped me narrow it down. I originally had my eyes on a 50s tribute with hb, but I read so many negative comments that I decided to step up my game and just he what I've always wanted....

To the op here....do your research and play everything you can til ou find the one. I went to 3 stores in one day and tried everything with the iconic trapezoid only that I could get my hands on. Only way to knows to play it. I wish I had done that much research and trials 12 years ago when I upgraded. As much as I love my prs, I'm in heaven right now.

Hi,

What kind of negative comments -and where- have you read about the Studio 50s Tribute with humbuckers?

I have one since mid of December and I am extremely satisfied with it.

Hi,

What kind of negative comments -and where- have you read about the Studio 50s Tribute with humbuckers?

I got one last Summer and am also extremely happy with it!

I'm waiting to read about the happy ending to this story.

And regarding the Tributes...I have a 60's tribute, and it's perfect. I prefer the studios, because I can't deal with the neck binding. The level of instruments Gibson is building today - across the range - is incredible.

Keep playing them until you find one that calls to you. I actually have a similar story. I was in GC and saw this beautiful black cherry Les Paul. I played a bunch of them before that time, but when I played this one it just called to me. My wife was with me and I remember telling her that all my life I wanted a Les Paul but could never afford one. She said "well you can now so buy it." I of course did. That started my GAS, although I have more Pepto Bismo than R9 (he he he).

lp_bcf.jpg

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is GAS?? I'm assuming it's an acronym of some sort.... Thanks,

BS

Hi,

Some here, and some on other guitar forums.

Mostly had to,do with the thin finish wearing through to bare wood on the dark backed ones. Some issues with frets being poorly finishes and/or wood shrinkage, toggle switch issues. Things that for 900 bucks I can't live with.

And regarding the Tributes...I have a 60's tribute, and it's perfect. I prefer the studios, because I can't deal with the neck binding. The level of instruments Gibson is building today - across the range - is incredible.

+1. I prefer the raw, stripped down feel and open tone from the wood, even if that does mean that the back of the neck will become worn more quickly than with full thickness nitro. Binding slows me down and faded finished necks are as slick as hell.

DG77, Gibson does have a reputation for occasional dubious quality control with its production models, including their more expensive production guitars. You can get these HB tributes more widely now so you can always try before you buy. If purchasing online don't accept anything you're not happy with, regardless of the model.

The bottom line for me is that after these few months of lessons and practice, playing guitar is something I will be sticking with. I tried playing different guitars in different stores in my area. To me, the Les Pauls appealed to me more than any other brand and model. My current guitar is a USA made Peavey Strat copy. Buying a really good Les Paul is more like an investment in myself, especially if it's an instrument that will last for years and years, as well it should, correct?

The bottom line for me is that after these few months of lessons and practice, playing guitar is something I will be sticking with. I tried playing different guitars in different stores in my area. To me, the Les Pauls appealed to me more than any other brand and model. My current guitar is a USA made Peavey Strat copy. Buying a really good Les Paul is more like an investment in myself, especially if it's an instrument that will last for years and years, as well it should, correct?

"self taught, no lessons, thanks alot pop!". Sorry had to steal a line from the wedding singer. That's my story...self taught, always wanted to own a lp, so I got one, plain and simple...no need to make elaborate excuses....got one just because I wanted to and if that's not enough of a reason to own a Gibson the I don't know what is. Lol

"self taught, no lessons, thanks alot pop!". Sorry had to steal a line from the wedding singer. That's my story...self taught, always wanted to own a lp, so I got one, plain and simple...no need to make elaborate excuses....got one just because I wanted to and if that's not enough of a reason to own a Gibson the I don't know what is. Lol

Exactly. Let the search begin!

Aha!!! Thanks!!!

More broadly (it's used in the audiophile and gadget arenas as well), it can also just be Gear Acquisition Syndrome. That way you can apply it to all the amps and other goodies you want to buy too. I have it big time, and it's definitely not just guitars. Enjoy the addiction. [smile]

Fred

Archived