Gibson Brands Forums

what do you see?

modoc_333

To be honest, I am not quite sure. The top of the headstock looks Gibson legit. I am thinking not nearly a '47.

The headstock looks quite worn compared to the body. The soundboard looks like a pretty mahogany.

This is one that I would have to see in person or have much better pics to indentify.

My most educated guess at this time, is that its a 60's LG-0 with a plastic bridge.

Rod

The LG-0 was introduced in 1958. It had a square rectangular bridge until 1961. I paid $350 for my 1966. They can be had for $700 or $800 in top notch shape any day of the week. They are kind of a neat fingerstyle or blues guitar, but definitely not a strummer.

The LG-0 was introduced in 1958. It had a square rectangular bridge until 1961. I paid $350 for my 1966. They can be had for $700 or $800 in top notch shape any day of the week. They are kind of a neat fingerstyle or blues guitar, but definitely not a strummer.

I have the 1958 LG0!

It is a wonderful fingerpicking blues guitar. I posted a track the other week - I don't know how to link a link, so to speak - it is back a few pages if you are interested.

I thought I would have to get a lot of work done, but the tech just looked it over and said 'great' and I had him put a pickup in it while I was there!

The LG-0 in the picture looks like it has a newish top of stripey Sapele? Or it could be the photo. I was really lucky with mine, but be warned they were cheap student guitars and some totally abused. Again, great guitars for blues fingerpicking and slide playing etc, but lousy for stuff that needs a bit more sustain!

BluesKing777.

You know...the LG0 is an interesting model. I'm not a fan of any hollow sounding acoustic, especially with the prestigious Gibson name on it. I had a MOST BEAUTIFUL '58 that had the gorgeous mahogany, and absolutely zero tone. That early lesson in vintage buying stuck with me. Thankfully, a Japanese dude took it off my hands for what I had into it plus $75. Also had a '59 that I'd turn the clock back to still own. It had enough juice to be considered good, solid woody toned low end Gibson. What gets me is why Gibson, with all the open bodies and bracing material at hand in a factory setting, would even bother constructing a ladder-braced model. The same amount of time and cost of arranging the bracing in a different pattern would have produced a superior guitar. I don't git it.

That is definitely a Sapele top, the guitar has either been re-topped or its not legit.

Which rather points in the direction I was initially headed: I see a Martin 00-15 with an old Gibson neck grafted on. Did Gibson ever use that shape of teardrop guard? Martin certainly have.

Archived