Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibsons: Les Paul Classic Custom and SG Standard

JM2112

Nice.

Nothing's wrong with the CC's fretboard, but it looks like rosewood to me. Aren't the CC's supposed to have an ebony fingerboard?

Edit: I've just checked and I think the cc's have rosewood fingerboards.

The Classic Customs are made by Gibson U.S.A., so don't confuse them with the Les Paul Custom from the Gibson Custom Shop, and have the new baked maple fingerboard, which has driven some folks into complete and utter hysteria.

Nice. [thumbup]

There aren't enough wine red LPs around if you ask me.

Agreed, never enough wine red in any model! I'm glad it's got chrome hardware, too, never been a fan of the gold.

When I bought my SG Standard I nearly fell over when they opened that box and it was so close to that wine red instead of the faded/heritage cherry. I looked the SG over, plugged it in and played a few chords and I took it and ran (after paying for it of course!!! [biggrin]) .

The actual differences are

Ebony fret boards vs Burnt Maple

490/498 vs Classic 57's

Now for the Bling

gold vs chrome

rear binding and no rear binding

trs cover

Is that worth a additional 2 grand, hmmmmm?

If someone wants to spend the additional bucks, feel free, to each his own. For what I'm doing, I like what I got and what I paid for it.

The fretboard color looks fine. I like the CC.

But the split diamond inlay on a Gibson USA model - I would prefer that inlay be reserved for guitars from the "Custom Shop" (what ever that means :rolleyes: ).

I have reasons for and against the split diamond inlay and using "Custom" in the name. However, anyone who is only somewhat familiar with Les Paul Custom guitars will immediately see the differences as guitarest pointed out in a previous post. Gibson's web site clearly has the guitar listed as being made by Gibson U.S.A., and if all that does not give someone enough information then the pice difference between them should.

The fretboard color looks fine. I like the CC.

But the split diamond inlay on a Gibson USA model - I would prefer that inlay be reserved for guitars from the "Custom Shop" (what ever that means :rolleyes: ).

[biggrin] And, "I" would prefer "Custom Shop" guitars to be "one of a kind," or very special

order versions, and NOT just guitars that are the way Gibson USA SHOULD be made, in the first

place! But, they want AC and Ice Water, in Hell, too! So... [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

CB

Yeah man both guitars look nice, not a fan of the heritage cherry though, but the wine red is pretty sweet.

As for the fretboards, ebony is nice but really hard, i just ordered my Les Paul Classic with the baked maple fretboard, and alot of people have been freakin' out about it.

It's not the big deal everyone makes it out to be, it's harder than rosewood but softer than ebony, so it really has a nice feel.

The Classic Customs are made by Gibson U.S.A., so don't confuse them with the Les Paul Custom from the Gibson Custom Shop, and have the new baked maple fingerboard, which has driven some folks into complete and utter hysteria.

Man I just laughed out loud... 'complete and utter hysteria'... what would people do if baked maple started showing up on Custom Shop guitars??

My Gibsons:

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

I just LOVE'EM!!!!

Fretboard of SG Standard with rosewood and Les Paul Classic Custom with baked maple.

IMG_0596.jpg

Now, someone please tell me what's wrong with the color of the Les Paul Classic Custom fretboard?

That wine red is really starting to grow on my!! I personally don't care what the fretboard looks like, nor what it is made out of, so long as I can play it and it feels good to me. Can't wait for my Custom Classic to come in!!! You have a beautiful pair of Gibson's there, my friend!

Yeah man both guitars look nice, not a fan of the heritage cherry though, but the wine red is pretty sweet.

As for the fretboards, ebony is nice but really hard, i just ordered my Les Paul Classic with the baked maple fretboard, and alot of people have been freakin' out about it.

It's not the big deal everyone makes it out to be, it's harder than rosewood but softer than ebony, so it really has a nice feel.

The baked maple is dense and you'll probably notice it compared to rosewood. I like both.

My SG Standard is pretty dark and not too different than the wine red. I nearly fell over when they opened the box at how dark it was. However, the wine red is tops for me, there's no denying it... [smile]

Man I just laughed out loud... 'complete and utter hysteria'... what would people do if baked maple started showing up on Custom Shop guitars??

I'm sure Gibson expected some flack when they introduced this. Years from now people will be wondering what the fuss was all about.

I guess sales and prescriptions for Prozac will be on the increase if they start putting it on Custom Guitars. [wink]

That wine red is really starting to grow on my!! I personally don't care what the fretboard looks like, nor what it is made out of, so long as I can play it and it feels good to me. Can't wait for my Custom Classic to come in!!! You have a beautiful pair of Gibson's there, my friend!

Thanks, and I'm sure you'll like yours. Be sure to post some pics when you get it! [smile]

Oooooops, I meant to say 'can't wait for my Classic Custom' to come in... not 'Custom Classic'

Oooooops, I meant to say 'can't wait for my Classic Custom' to come in... not 'Custom Classic'

I have the exact same color and model and have no problem with a baked maple neck. It is beyond a doubt the sweetest sounding LP I have ever had the honor to play.

Workmanship excellent not a flaw on it. Fretwork is very high quality, heck I have played $ 3 to $4k customs that didn't hold candle to this one in the sound and playability department.

Exceptional guitar, and I don't use that word often.

Gibson hit a homerun with this one. Hmm.. now if all Gibsons had this degree of quality they would sell like hotcakes..

I have the exact same color and model and have no problem with a baked maple neck. It is beyond a doubt the sweetest sounding LP I have ever had the honor to play.

Workmanship excellent not a flaw on it. Fretwork is very high quality, heck I have played $ 3 to $4k customs that didn't hold candle to this one in the sound and playability department.

Exceptional guitar, and I don't use that word often.

Gibson hit a homerun with this one. Hmm.. now if all Gibsons had this degree of quality they would sell like hotcakes..

My experience with my LP Classic Custom has been exactly the same. It was absolutely perfect right out of the box, and it has exceeded my expectations. The more I play it, the more I like it. [thumbup]

Archived